Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 04-06-2019 7:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

After hearing True by Spandau ballet in the choon thread I did some googling. It was released in 1983 and went to number one in the Irish charts for a week.
    But what I found most remarkable, considering I wasn't even born then, is the amount of recognisable hits that went to the top spot that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_of_1983_(Ireland)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

T'was a good year. I soiled many a nappy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

But strangely I've never heard of the song that spend five weeks at number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

That's a super lists of tunes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I love 1983 was on BBC2 last night OP - you'd probably catch it on i-player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Oops!

Year i was born.... Some great stuff made that year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Oops!

Did'nt Boyzone murder a cover of it many a moon later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

You might know it if you heard it, was a bit of a one hit wonder. I think he was French.

"Words don't come easy to me, How can I find a way to make you see I love you ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Uriel. wrote: »
    That's a super lists of tunes alright.

I would have been 8 / 9 at the time and you're quite right - apparently 1983 was a great year for chart music. Who would have thunk it!

I've never heard of FR Davis either, but I looked up the song and I know it well.
    Words don't come easy to me
    How can I find a way to make you see I love you
    Words don't come easy
    Words don't come easy to me
    This is the only way for me to say I love you

The only low point of the years No.1's is UB40 so - that pile of shíte ruined a perfect year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I would have been 8 / 9 at the time and you're quite right - apparently 1983 was a great year for chart music. Who would have thunk it!

I've never heard of FR Davis either, but I looked up the song and I know it well.
    Yeah, I was the same. I was 10 at the time but couldn't recall his name at all.

The only low point of the years No.1's is UB40 so - that pile of shíte ruined a perfect year!
    What, the original Brit-pop band? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Can't remember the name of the dj, but he pronounced it father David.

Bit like yerwan on today fm this morning announcing that avicii's next album would be post-hummus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

After hearing True by Spandau ballet in the choon thread I did some googling. It was released in 1983 and went to number one in the Irish charts for a week.
    But what I found most remarkable, considering I wasn't even born then, is the amount of recognisable hits that went to the top spot that year.

I was a wee thing but yes, I recognise 3/4 of those songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,195 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

An absolute scorcher of a summer that year and I was in 5th year so 3 months off school :D
    But I remember my favourite song ever made the UK charts that year.
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Metallica released Kill Em All in 83, which just goes to show that the charts were always ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Oops! wrote: »
    Year i was born.... Some great stuff made that year!

2006AW3775.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was 4 in 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I know it's tastes changing and all the rest but compared to 1983, music has gone to utter shíte in the last 15/20 years by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I was 16 then so it falls in my formative years for music, as they say.

Some more songs from that year, that most will know:

Young Guns - Wham
    Our House - Madness
    1999 - Prince
    Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
    Fame - Irene Cara
    Is There Something I should Know - Duran Duran
    Blue Monday - New Order
    I'm Stil Standing - Elton John
    Tell Her About It - Billy Joel
    The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
    Burning Down The House - Talking Heads
    Cruel Summer - Bananarama
    Nobody's Diary - Yazoo
    New Year's Day - U2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The early 80s was pretty good for pop music though there were many exceptions. An episode of Top of the Pops from 1983 would usually have at least one or two really good songs on it. Pop music really fell off a cliff towards the end of the decade though. If you watch the old Top of the Pops on BBC 4 over the weekends the early 80s ones were decent but the ones they are showing now, from 1987 I think, are diabolical. Everything sounds the same with the same over produced sound and drum samples.

Metallica released Kill Em All in 83, which just goes to show that the charts were always ****e

No one heard of them then, definitely not the pop loving kids from that age. Metallica only broke through to the mainstream in 1991 with Enter Sandman.

• Advertisement

The early 80s was pretty good for pop music though there were many exceptions. An episode of Top of the Pops from 1983 would usually have at least one or two really good songs on it. Pop music really fell off a cliff towards the end of the decade though. If you watch the old Top of the Pops on BBC 4 over the weekends the early 80s ones were decent but the ones they are showing now, from 1987 I think, are diabolical. Everything sounds the same with the same over produced sound and drum samples.

I agree, the eighties for what great music is concerned only lasted until 1985. It also really started in 1979 with Tubeway Army's Are Friends Electric (although for me it was their next single Cars with the band renamed Gary Numan that did it).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

1987 was peak 80,s in terms of excess, hair metal etc, yuppydom also peaked, perhaps due to black Monday

I still like the late 80,s in sofar as it was a great era for good bad music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Looking at this again it looks like wedding DJs took one look at the charts from 1983 and decided that they had their set now for the next 30 years. Done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Great year for No. 1's but on the negative side the world nearly exploded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Soviet_nuclear_false_alarm_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

So, swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yeah, I was the same. I was 10 at the time but couldn't recall his name at all.

What, the original Brit-pop band? ;)

They were no Def Leppard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My folks are always reminiscing about the summer of 83; they were on strike for 3 months and apparently it was a belter of a summer weather-wise. They were 'doing a line' (not in a white powder sense) and not yet engaged, with no kids to support, so it sounds like they partied and acted the bollox the whole time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fond childhood memories of 1983. I was 8 years of age that year. Mike Oldfield's Moonlight Shadow was a huge hit that summer...and IIRC a scorcher of a summer it was too!

Also Uptown Girl by Billy Joel, Let's Dance by David Bowie and New Song by Howard Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gammygils wrote: »
    An absolute scorcher of a summer that year and I was in 5th year so 3 months off school :D
    But I remember my favourite song ever made the UK charts that year.
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division

Three years after Ian Curtis passing away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

YFlyer wrote: »
    Three years after Ian Curtis passing away?

Went top 20 in 1983 at some stage. Possibly due to the Paul Young cover although I'm not sure on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Now that's what I call music! (almost, and with a few additions).

Advertisement