Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

So this is where the weirdos with their signs and the parish priest hang out when they aren't down hassling other people in Holles Street.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,125 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

more of it now, we're all women-hating misogynists, just want to exert control, shame the hussies because they deserve it, isn't that it?
    nothing to do with philosophical questions about 'life' at all

you haven't asked any philosophical questions? or at least ones that have not been asked a million times already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Abortion was illegal too up until recently.

Should murdering children and elderly be legal?
    No? Because it's wrong?

The law isn't always moral. Just because the law says something doesn't make it right.

Gassing Jews was legal in Nazi Germany but smoking a spliff is a crime here even today. You'll find what's lawful and what's moral are not necessarily the same thing.

Abortion was not illegal up until recently, the 8th has been in the constitution since the 80's. You really are clueless. The 8th allowed for abortion in limited circumstances. So people that voted to retain the 8th whether through ignorance or apathy were voting for abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

STB. wrote: »
    So this is where the weirdos with their signs and the parish priest hang out when they aren't down hassling other people in Holles Street.....

well, it was meant to be a thread about a misdiagnosed ' Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks', but then things took a turn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

If you believe it is immoral to for example abort an unborn child at 20 weeks say, then the right thing to do is to try and stop people aborting at 20 weeks if you can.

Or you could just mind your own fúcking business, Mr low post count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

well, it was meant to be a thread about a misdiagnosed ' Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks', but then things took a turn

If the parents didn't want to kill a child in the womb then this wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If the parents didn't want to kill a child in the womb then this wouldn't have happened.

Well you must have brushed up your biology so congratulations! I'm happy for you. Nothing better than seeing someone better and improve themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

STB. wrote: »

I work beside Holles Street...I think those people have disappeared I haven't seen them in a few months anyway literally zero people even engaged with them...they could have moved online though true ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

When did I say I don't believe in abortion morally? I didn't give my opinion on it.

My point is still going over your head. If you believe it is immoral to for example abort an unborn child at 20 weeks say, then the right thing to do is to try and stop people aborting at 20 weeks if you can.

If a law was passed that allowed parents to kill their children up to two years old would you still say "Go away and let people make the choice for themselves"?[/QUOTE]

Why would that law be passed???

You are engaging in all manners of whataboutery and whatifery.

Irish women are good at morally protecting their unborn. Just go away and stop poking your nose into the complex circumstances where someone chooses abortion. Life is not black and white. God knows it would be great if it was. But it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Same as eating an egg.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Why would that law be passed???

You are engaging in all manners of whataboutery and whatifery.

Irish women are good at morally protecting their unborn. Just go away and stop poking your nose into the complex circumstances where someone chooses abortion. Life is not black and white. God knows it would be great if it was. But it's not.

Don't rise to the bait. Not his first fishing expedition, and it certainly won't be the last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The point has gone over your head too. If your neighbour decided to stick their 2 year old child in the oven would say mind your own fukcing business too?

Why are you going on about two year old children?

Why are you going on about two year old children?

Quelle surprise. "Terence" is no more. At least until he sports a new hat.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-who-had-abortion-after-misleading-test-calls-for-an-inquiry-1.3916959
    “We did not take the steps to terminate lightly and we were not scared of the prospect of caring or loving a very sick child. We were told this was a fatal foetal abnormality,” the couple told RTÉ News on Thursday.

So you haven't actually read the accounts of the case either. Why am I not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DubInMeath wrote: »
    So you haven't actually read the accounts of the case either. Why am I not surprised.

He did read something at least. He learnt the word womb. He thought babies were in the pregnant ladies stomach earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

How is this debate still going.

it's not,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,125 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rufeo wrote: »
    How is this debate still going.

Some people dont know when they have been beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Antares35 wrote: »
    This is a very grey area. I used to be very idealistic about this too, and often asked, "why can't people give their baby up for adoption instead of aborting them?" and I remember someone answered "because adoption is an alternative to parenting, not pregnancy". This is very true.

I am currently 28 weeks with a baby who was unplanned but never unwanted. I wouldn't in a million years have aborted her because abortion just doesn't align with my values and I couldn't live with myself but, I can tell you that I came under pressure to do so. I can also tell you that pregnancy is far from easy. it isn't just a case of "oh sure just have the child and then give it away". It is a huge amount of time - I joke that Jesus only had to do 40 days, we get 40 weeks!:) It's a sacrifice - no more drinking or smoking, you need to eat healthily and be careful about literally everything. You can't take painkillers. It can also be expensive.

Then the endless list of complaints like insomnia, mood swings, feeling like you are going mad. Anyone who suffered with mental health issues (as I did) will likely find these flaring up again and it can be really scary to feel like you are no longer in control.

There's also the small matter of labour and the fear of how painful this will be etc. I feel all of these fears etc. and my baby is wanted and I have something wonderful to look forward to, but why would a woman go through all of this knowing that all that faces her is the pain and trauma of birth and then further pain and trauma of giving up her baby?

I don't like abortion and I never will, and I will certainly never have one, but I can no longer be ok with the "oh just have it and give it up" argument because there is so much more to it than that.

One of the best posts I've ever seen on this subject Antares. I have three beautiful children (grown now) and have had an abortion after having the three of them.

Not for one second could I consider going through what I did for nine months with the other three and then handing it over, not a hope in hell. Even when people have said to me would you be a surrogate I've said no, I just couldn't be that unselfish.

Thanks for your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

nthclare wrote: »
    I was under a different username at the time.

So this was more than 11 years ago? Fantastic memory you have all the same.

My exe had a baby at 19, she's from Clare got pregnant in college in Carlow, had the baby girl and studied away through pregnancy, took a year out and stayed in Carlow and worked hard and finished college.

Good for her. You know that women are still allowed to not have an abortion, right? :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Anyway, there was literally nobody promoting a pro choice position in the 1980s

The Workers' Party
    Maybe half of Labour, although few campaigned
    A few in FG
    A couple of independent senators and TDs

However they were overwhelmingly shouted down in the media, their (few) posters ripped down, denounced from the pulpit, denied venues for public meetings, anti-amendment canvassers were shouted at and abused (still happened in 2018 to some extent), and at least one anti-amendment march in 1983 was attacked by Provo thugs.

Whereas in 2018 the No side had:
    Several ex-FG politicians
    Peadar Toibin
    Most of FF
    Most rural independents
    And their secret weapon - Ronan Mullen :p

VAST quantities of posters and internet ads, the funding for which has never been explained
    50:50 coverage on TV/Radio (and the first RTE debate was clearly biased in their favour)
    Lots of newspaper and billboard ads (again, funding???)
    Vast quantities of freesheets and leaflets through doors, Alive! magazine anyone??
    Priests battering away at it on the pulpit again, though a lot fewer listening this time.
    Etc.

The No vote actually declined between the start of the campaign and the end! they'd have probably done better if they hadn't kept ramming their hateful and anti-woman arguments down the throats of the electorate.

Life ain't always empty.

Titclamp wrote: »
    Doesn't take much to develop a group think here.

Recycling the same garbage.

Which is exactly what the so-called "pro-lifers" have been doing for the last ~40 years. You had your very own pet amendment in the constitution for 35 years. It was a disaster. You collectively did the square root of f**k all in that time to provide actual help to women in crisis pregnancy, except to ensure they gave birth. You saturated the country with posters and internet ads paid for with dodgy American money and conducted a very high-profile and in-your-face campaign.

You lost. Yet you still peddle the same tired, old and weak arguments and talking points that failed to impress voters during the referendum. Actually I think the Yes vote would have been smaller if there hadn't been any No campaign, it was that repulsive to so many voters.

Life ain't always empty.

beejee wrote: »
    1) believe in straight up biology that presents the simple truth that life begins at cellular fusion.

Yes. To which I say, in all sincerity, so what?

Just because a "life" exists doesn't mean it is deserving at all times of any legal rights or human rights. As has been pointed out to you many many times now.

Most of these fertilised eggs never implant and go down the toilet and nobody ever knows they existed. Should the gardai investigate and conduct forensic examinations of sanitary products just in case there is a "dead body" there?

If we try to give full legal and human rights to a fertilised egg then it leads to all sorts of problems. We pretended this was the case under the 8th amendment, but in practice we didn't give zygotes any legal rights provided actual abortions were not taking place here (Massive hypocrisy no.1 : we were fine with Irish women having abortions provided it happened in another country.)

If you actually try to enforce and protect these rights from conception, then it leads to crazy situations. IVF clinics being banned, women in Central America getting 20 years in prison for a perfectly natural miscarriage. Or women being sued by lawyers appointed by the state on behalf of her pregnancy because she took brand X of vitamin supplement instead of brand Y.

If you actually believe that a zygote has full legal rights then do frozen embryos in IVF clinics have a right to be born? If so, then abducting women off the street and forcibly implanting them with these embryos to give them their chance to be born would be moral. Sure isn't it only 9 months of minor inconvenience for her, as we were constantly told during the referendum campaign? If this isn't in fact moral, and therefore a woman's right to bodily integrity is more important than the right of an embryo to be born, well congratulations on belatedly accepting the pro-choice argument.

At the other end of the spectrum, a person with a heartbeat and no brain activity is technically alive, but legally and morally we accept that treatment can be withdrawn, their organs harvested etc. By your arguments this is just as morally unacceptable as popping an abortion pill at six weeks. It's a nonsense.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The Workers' Party
    Maybe half of Labour, although few campaigned
    A few in FG
    A couple of independent senators and TDs

Were those people all pro-choice, or just anti-8th-amendment?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Were those people all pro-choice, or just anti-8th-amendment?

Interesting results here
    https://irishelectionliterature.com/?s=1983+amendment

The last two are from the official anti-amendment campaign, which was pro-choice in cases of rape and incest at least. See point (2) here:

1982aac2.jpg

Pretty sure WP, a couple in Labour and a couple of independent TDs / senators were explicitly pro-choice.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Interesting results here
    https://irishelectionliterature.com/?s=1983+amendment

The last two are from the official anti-amendment campaign, which was pro-choice in cases of rape and incest at least. See point (2) here:

1982aac2.jpg

Pretty sure WP, a couple in Labour and a couple of independent TDs / senators were explicitly pro-choice.

Yes I think you're right that the Workers' Party and a few other stray individuals might have been prochoice, so perhaps "nobody" was a bit strong, but the point I was making that many people were anti amendment at the time, but that wasn't at all the same thing as being prochoice. That's a position that was completely marginal at the time, and has only developed in recent years really.

So when the poster earlier in equated anti-8th back in 1983 with prochoice in 2017, I wouldn't agree, that's all.

I feel very sorry for the poor parents in this specific case that this thread started about.

But I believe I am right in thinking this is not related to the removal of the 8th amendment in May of 2018/when abortion was brought in to Ireland (Jan 19?) (Do I have my dates right?)

i.e. what I am saying is: The problem here is the diagnosis. If prior to May 2018 this diagnosis was given to the parents we would still find ourselves in the same situation i.e. abortion was carried out on the basis of a misdiagnosis. Albeit the abortion would have taken place in a different country not Ireland i.e. the parents would have travelled (likely to England).

So this indeed is tragic. But not related to the 8th amendment being in place or not.

On a separate note to this tragic situation I think the pro lifers need to acknowledge their hypocrisy
    - Irish abortions took place pre referendum, just in a different country.
    They also need to acknowledge that since the referendum the sky has not fallen down. Irish women are not running out wild and availing of abortions left right and centre.

Life goes on.

Now go away and mind your own beeswax.

I feel very sorry for the poor parents in this specific case that this thread started about.

But I believe I am right in thinking this is not related to the removal of the 8th amendment in May of 2018/when abortion was brought in to Ireland (Jan 19??) - do I have my dates right???

i.e. what I am saying is: The problem here is the diagnosis. If prior to May 2018 this diagnosis was given to the parents we would still find ourselves in the same situation i.e. abortion was carried out on the basis of a misdiagnosis. Albeit the abortion would have taken place in a different country not Ireland i.e. the parents would have travelled (likely to England)

they may not have traveled, (the advice they received may have been different/ they might have waited the two weeks...)

has there been anything made of the abortion happening at 15 weeks at all, or is it a case of 'honest mistake'

• Advertisement

they may not have traveled, (the advice they received may have been different/ they might have waited the two weeks...)

has there been anything made of the abortion happening at 15 weeks at all, or is it a case of 'honest mistake'

But why would the advice have been different??

The FFA was diagnosed right?

Pre. Referendum
    they would have been told about the FFA and advised of their options (1) proceed with pregnancy (2) termination option [in Uk]

Post Referendum
    they would have been told about the FFA and advised of their options (1) proceed with pregnancy (2) termination option [in Irl]

Advertisement