Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Like most people on here I was pro choice, but I understand the barbarity of the practice and I've completely changed my outlook.

Look up potassium chloride abortions. What a barbaric way to die.

It's ironic really, the most dangerous place for a child statistically is in their mother's womb. It's sad.
    You voted Yes and now regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's so few adoptions because life is disposable.

8 women on average were going to the UK to have abortions, the number of on-demand abortions are probably similar here since killing children in the womb was legalised.

If you say so. But your facts have been fast and loose with the truth up to now, so I'll take it with the preverbal pinch of salt. "Probably" butters no parsnips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

8 women on average were going to the UK to have abortions, the number of on-demand abortions are probably similar here since killing children in the womb was legalised.

The 6000 kids in foster care would dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Absolute BS. People aren't adopting because they are barely having children themselves. The average family size has decreased massively, with many opting not to have kids at all by choice.

You can't suggest adoption as an alternative to abortion when;
    a) that's of no use to a woman who can't stay pregnant and
    b) there aren't enough willing adoptive parents to take on all these extra children.

If there were 5 domestic adoptions for the whole year of 2018, where do you propose you'll find just under 3,000 suitable, willing adoptive parents for the babies of the 8 women per day who travelled for terminations in your above example?
    And the year after, and the year after that? So say over the course of 10 years, where are you going to find 30,000 adoptive parents for all these extra children?

Its just a lazy, emotionally manipulative "solution" that is completely unworkable if you give it more than 30 seconds of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

You claim you were previously pro-choice, but that learning the details of some specific abortion procedures changed your mind. However, you repeatedly refer to foetuses and embryos as "children". In fact, most of your language is very similar to that of a conventional, religiously-motivated, pro-lifer.

Add to that your odd relationship with the facts, figures and science of this debate, and you've got a massive credibility problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This is a very grey area. I used to be very idealistic about this too, and often asked, "why can't people give their baby up for adoption instead of aborting them?" and I remember someone answered "because adoption is an alternative to parenting, not pregnancy". This is very true.

I am currently 28 weeks with a baby who was unplanned but never unwanted. I wouldn't in a million years have aborted her because abortion just doesn't align with my values and I couldn't live with myself but, I can tell you that I came under pressure to do so. I can also tell you that pregnancy is far from easy. it isn't just a case of "oh sure just have the child and then give it away". It is a huge amount of time - I joke that Jesus only had to do 40 days, we get 40 weeks!:) It's a sacrifice - no more drinking or smoking, you need to eat healthily and be careful about literally everything. You can't take painkillers. It can also be expensive.

Then the endless list of complaints like insomnia, mood swings, feeling like you are going mad. Anyone who suffered with mental health issues (as I did) will likely find these flaring up again and it can be really scary to feel like you are no longer in control.

There's also the small matter of labour and the fear of how painful this will be etc. I feel all of these fears etc. and my baby is wanted and I have something wonderful to look forward to, but why would a woman go through all of this knowing that all that faces her is the pain and trauma of birth and then further pain and trauma of giving up her baby?

I don't like abortion and I never will, and I will certainly never have one, but I can no longer be ok with the "oh just have it and give it up" argument because there is so much more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

pjohnson wrote: »
    "Anti-life"
    The no side are great value tbf. Never know what they'll vomit out next.

same as 'anti-choice' being vomited out by the other side, tbf

Not really, the anti choice label is actually quite accurate.

Plenty of people are pro life but respect that people will make their own choices when it comes to their pregnancy.

Anti choice people do not respect people making their own choices in relation to their pregnancy and try to justify their views through the frankly stupid and false statements we've seen on here.

Maybe both sides need to grow up, cut out the negative emotive language and stick with pro-life and pro-choice.

This kind of one-upmanship helps neither side of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Using the logic that some people are using here, men should be able to opt out of parenthood too by abdication of all his responsibilities AND rights.

What if becoming a parent against his will makes a man suicidal too?

• Advertisement

Using the logic that some people are using here, men should be able to opt out of parenthood too by abdication of all his responsibilities AND rights.

What if becoming a parent against his will makes a man suicidal too?

It’s very easy for man not to be a father, all he has to do is not have sex with a woman.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    If you say so. But your facts have been fast and loose with the truth up to now, so I'll take it with the preverbal pinch of salt. "Probably" butters no parsnips.

Murray, C., 2016. The Protection of Life during Pregnancy Act 2013: Suicide, dignity and the Irish discourse on abortion. Social & Legal Studies, 25(6), pp.667-698.

It’s very easy for man not to be a father, all he has to do is not have sex with a woman.

Could you not say the reverse for women?

Not all women.

Not all women.

??

Not all women.

If a woman wants the right to opt out of unplanned parenthood then why shouldn't the men have that option too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I didn't know a rapist offers the sex or no sex option to a woman?

It’s very easy for a woman not to be a mother, all she has to do is not have sex with a man.

Imagine the **** storm for saying the opposite.

I didn't know a rapist offers the sex or no sex option to a woman?

So casual sex and falls pregnant... Two friends or bf and gf... Should she be allowed to abort?

It’s very easy for a woman not to be a mother, all she has to do is not have sex with a man.

Imagine the **** storm for saying the opposite.

What about a pregnancy as a result of rape or incest, what choice had the woman/girl?

• Advertisement

What about a pregnancy as a result of rape or incest, what choice had the woman/girl?

Read my post above yours.

So casual sex and falls pregnant... Two friends or bf and gf... Should she be allowed to abort?

You didn't answer my question, does a rapist offer a woman a no sex option?

You didn't answer my question, does a rapist offer a woman a no sex option?

Of course not. It's not the conceived baby's fault.

Now answer mine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

??

I hate to break it to you, but rape is totally a thing.

Read my post above yours.

A question answered by a question. Have you actually any valid point to make other than the usual bs posted by pro life nuts?

A question answered by a question. Have you actually any valid point to make other than the usual bs posted by pro life nuts?

If women want abortion on demand do you think it'd be acceptable to give men the equivalent of "opting out of fatherhood" even if the girl wants to keep the child?

kylith wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you, but rape is totally a thing.

Who said it wasn't?

Murray, C., 2016. The Protection of Life during Pregnancy Act 2013: Suicide, dignity and the Irish discourse on abortion. Social & Legal Studies, 25(6), pp.667-698.

Does it extrapolate to a "probably" as well?

Now answer mine

So in the case of rape or incest do you accept it's a valid reason for a woman or girl to have an abortion?

To answer your question, you are aware women now have the choice to seek an abortion here since the referendum passed reasons not required up to a certain time period. I tend not to tell another individual what to do with their body. Personal choice and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yet the woman should still be forced to go through the pregnancy and birth, even though it’s not her fault either?

Advertisement