Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Muckka wrote: »
    Atheism is just some made up word....means nothing...

All words are made up. But they all mean something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I'm popping in a bit late. Sorry for that, but can I just ask, what values do you consider to be uniquely Christian that you are concerned are being lost out on?

i'm not at all concerned. i dont ever recall saying i was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Danzy wrote: »

Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

Not at all, lots of "stuff" was lost for ever due to the christian invasion in ireland

eg : the 'magic' healing earth/soil in some parts of the country

Since it seems to actually work**, it would have been put down to witchcraft/demons whatever

***** = https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.02458

Traditionally a small amount of soil was wrapped up in cotton cloth and used to heal many ailments including toothache, throat and neck infections. Interestingly, this area was previously occupied by the Druids, around 1500 years ago, and Neolithic people 4000 years ago.

The main findings of the research were that the newly-identified strain of Streptomyces:

Inhibited the growth of four of the top six multi-resistant pathogens identified by the WHO as being responsible for healthcare-associated infections: Vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE), methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Klebsiella pneumonia, and Carbenepenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumanii

Inhibited both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, which differ in the structure of their cell wall; usually gram negative bacteria are more resistant to antibiotics

It is not yet clear which component of the new strain prevents the growth of the pathogens

CxhBToa.jpg
    Growth of the newly discovered Streptomyces sp. myrophorea, so named because it produces a distinctive fragrance similar to that of oil of wintergreen. Although superficially resembling fungi, Streptomyces are true bacteria and are the source of two-thirds of the various frontline antibiotics used in medicine.
    Credit: G Quinn, Swansea University

Danzy wrote: »
    Most of what had made Europe a great place to live are r from the Christian tradition.

What we consider human rights and workers rights are from that tradition.

workers rights come from past generations forming together in trade unions. Something the church have always been strongly against

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

kenmc wrote: »
    Fingers crossed. No place for religion in this day and age.
    Climate change is the new religion with fools falling for it left right and center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have to laugh when I see people predict the loss of our Christianity will result in an increase in FGM and other barbaric practices towards children.

Can I remind people who say that of the mass child grave that was uncovered at Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What is really weird is the celebration of the rise of Islam in this country and elsewhere. I recall former president Obama talking about Islam as "one of the great religions of the world". Like great, all we need is more religion. What could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have to laugh when I see people predict the loss of our Christianity will result in an increase in FGM and other barbaric practices towards children.

Can I remind people who say that of the mass child grave that was uncovered at Tuam?

And the people, who talked about what was happening in Tuam 30 years ago. Were also laughed at, by people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

i ask this question in light of a recent article i spotted.
    do you agree with the journalist's supposition, and do you care?

like many you may think it's a good thing and to be welcomed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/christianity-is-being-eroded-and-despised-irelands-moral-minority-rise-up-37700374.html

Yes I think the article is correct. The Irish have kept the faith for 1500 years and are now abandoning it just when we need it most. The second coming of Christ may be imminent. We live in a time unlike any other in history. It certainly looks like the vision of Pope Leo VIII has come true, the church has been destroyed.

In the various apparitions such as Fatima, Medjugorje, Kibeho and Akita, Our Lady is said to look sad, not because of the lives that are in danger but because of the souls. When we think in imortally, this is understandable. Earthly life is short, our souls are infinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AllForIt wrote:
    What is really weird is the celebration of the rise of Islam in this country and elsewhere. I recall former president Obama talking about Islam as "one of the great religions of the world". Like great, all we need is more religion. What could go wrong.
    The rise of Islam would tempt me towards Irexit. Rather be poor than dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The second coming of Christ may be imminent.

Typical carpenter, state of the place after he was here the last time - his auld lad was no better, off to Jerusalam on a donkey when he was supposed to be planing the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And the people, who talked about what was happening in Tuam 30 years ago. Were also laughed at, by people like you.

I'm not defending FGM. As I said it's barbaric but our "Christianity" values as a society were no more kind towards children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

I'm not defending FGM. As I said it's barbaric but our "Christianity" values as a society were no more kind towards children.

Wut?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eagle eye wrote: »
    The rise of Islam would tempt me towards Irexit. Rather be poor than dead.

I'm not sure how that'd work. Islamic fundamentalists aren't impeded by politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Muckka wrote: »
    Why did the atheist cross the road ?

To tell everyone they're an atheist...

Same applies with liberals, vegans and the other ilk ;););)

Not to be taken personal.... only banter ok

Why did the priest cross the road?

To sodomise the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Climate change is the new religion with fools falling for it left right and center.

Climate change denial, chemtrails, etc is like a cult. Feeds off the gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It was Christians who brought an end to some of the worst abuses of children.
    Please don't confuse Christianity with the practices of Christendom, nor Indeed Christian with Catholic/ Protestant practices.

By their fruit shall they be known.

I'm not sure how that'd work. Islamic fundamentalists aren't impeded by politics.
    No free movement into the country.

eviltwin wrote: »
    You living your life how you want and staying out of mine and vice versa is not intolerance.

Intolerance is insisting we hold onto traditional values when it's clear a sizeable group in society don't share them.

Intolerance is also this all-pervasive consumerist culture being rammed down our throats in our kitchens, cars, walking down streets, on the back and sides of buses and loads more vehicles, newspapers, tv etc etc etc. Saturation.

This society has infinitely more intolerance for those of us who wish to avoid all that corporate propaganda and agenda pushing than the Roman Church has for non-believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

By their fruit shall they be known.
    Under his eye.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree with the last poster. The intolerance shown by a lot of people these days for what they don't like is ridiculous.
    This is why I don't call myself an atheist. I don't want to be associated with people who hate on religion.
    I believe that you have the right to practice your religion and not have to listen to idiots shouting about how evil the church is.
    Same goes the other way too with the idiots who are of the opinion that if you are not a believer that you are a lesser being or a bad person. Using religion as a political tool is also wrong.
    I'd just love if they all stfu and kept their views to themselves and their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd have to agree with the last poster. The intolerance shown by a lot of people these days for what they don't like is ridiculous.
    This is why I don't call myself an atheist. I don't want to be associated with people who hate on religion.
    I believe that you have the right to practice your religion and not have to listen to idiots shouting about how evil the church is.
    Same goes the other way too with the idiots who are of the opinion that if you are not a believer that you are a lesser being or a bad person. Using religion as a political tool is also wrong.
    I'd just love if they all stfu and kept their views to themselves and their friends.

Attacking the church or social conservatism isn't the same thing as attacking religion though. I don't think anybody has any issue with individuals practising their own religion in their own time, or even choosing to live a repressed lifestyle of their own free will - it's when they inflict their beliefs on other people and don't give them a choice in the matter that it becomes a problem.

I'm religious myself and I long for the day in which the Catholic Church totally collapses and social norms which define victimless actions as "wrong" are eradicated from state policy and peer pressure. That's not the same as hating religion.

The connection is drawn because of the perception that the EU policies of (a) allowing migrants into the eurozone and (b) free movement of people, limit national governments' autonomy to close their borders or control the demographics of who immigrates into their countries.

Great you legistated for killing the unborn

In my opinion it's not 'alive' yet at 12 weeks to begin with, so there's no killing involved.
    and what ever monstrosity you call "marriage equality".

Allowing people to do whatever they want with their own bodies without reference to what anyone else wants them to do, yes.
    Next thing you will want to euthanize the elder generation.

If they choose to do it, then absolutely. Why should anyone be forced to continue living against their will? Your body, your rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In my opinion it's not 'alive' yet at 12 weeks to begin with, so there's no killing involved

And yet it has a heartbeat!!!
    Would love to know your definition of life.

And yet it has a heartbeat!!!
    Would love to know your definition of life.

I don't consider a foetus 'alive' until it reaches the point of viability, or that at which is can survive independently of its mothers' womb. Debate for a whole other thread probably :D

Unlike many in this debate, I do fully accept that my own opinions are merely opinions and that no voters have opinions which are just as valid. Abortion isn't the same as other social conservative issues for this reason - the question of how one defines human life is central to the debate, which makes it unique. However, a majority of the people clearly agree to some extent with the premise that an early term foetus is not "alive" - otherwise they wouldn't have voted the way they did.

The other positions of social conservatism I have no time for. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs or opinions, but in my view if you believe that another human's sexual behaviour can be "wrong" even when there's no non-consenting third party involved, you're a control freak. And in my view, control freak is generally synonymous with asshole. In other words, if you think you have a right to tell people what to do, you're far more likely to be an out and out gobsh!te. I struggle to understand mindsets which seek to restrict other peoples' happiness even when what makes them happy is entirely self-contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Atheist is just a handy term to describe your religious views - or lack thereof - but yeah, I don't like how it's become a movement to shame religion and religious people.

IMHO it's not religion that's the problem, it's how religion is interpreted and how some want it to dictate social values and laws.

I'm not religious but don't have any problem with people who are, I just want to have a nice, quiet life free from religious influence. Not too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Which of the 10 commandments do you object to?

Which version of the 10 commandments are you following, and what version of the Bible are you reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

abandoning it just when we need it most.

What about religion do we need at all, specifically now "most"?
    The second coming of Christ may be imminent.

It has been "imminent" for a hell of a long time now, with people in every generation seemingly convinced it was giong to happen in their life time. What makes you think now is any different?

Have you ANY evidence that such an event, the return of a dead person, is likely to occur? Have you even a modicum of substantiation for the idea there even is a god in the first place? I will take any silence in response to these questions as an admission that no, you do not. "reality keeper" indeed. You just keep it OUT of the conversation it seems.
    We live in a time unlike any other in history. It certainly looks like the vision of Pope Leo VIII has come true, the church has been destroyed.

Due to the ongoing progresses in society, science and more.... most people most of the time can claim to have lived in a time unlike any in their own history. That said however, it is hardly a prophecy or a "vision" to predict the demise of the church. Likely he was simply shocked they had been getting away with as much as they have, for as long as they have.
    In the various apparitions such as Fatima, Medjugorje, Kibeho and Akita, Our Lady is said to look sad

Sure, when people hallucinate things that are not there, they do tend to project their own emotional state into the hallucination. And lets face it, of all the religions I know of the Catholic one is up there as one of the most dour and depressing. As the Muse said to a catholic in the film Dogma "You people do not celebrate your faith, you mourn it".

So colour me unsurprised you people are not hallucinating happy slappy dancing young women.
    When we think in imortally, this is understandable. Earthly life is short, our souls are infinate.

Which is, whether you realise it or not, one of the things that makes a mockery of the "sacrifice" your alleged Messiah is meant to have committed. The very tenets of your own narrative make a joke out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

eviltwin wrote: »
    You living your life how you want and staying out of mine and vice versa is not intolerance.

Intolerance is insisting we hold onto traditional values when it's clear a sizeable group in society don't share them.

The PC brigade are actively trying to impose their politics, "values" and ideas on others

The new secular nuns and priests, colm o gorman is the new mc quaid

Advertisement