Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have we reached Peak Beard ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

What of you mean by neck Beards ? Long beards ?

No, this: (this guy could actually be one of out IT guys)

big_1477191685_image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Feel greasy just looking at those pictures... urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There are a lot of fragile men who are afraid to shave their beard as they do not feel comfortable with how they look without it. The uncomfortableness is usually evident by how much of a twat they come across to others.

I'm a moderator and I have a beard. Your logic certainly checks out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm a moderator and I have a beard. Your logic certainly checks out.

Ditto :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Had my full beard at 17, have clean shaved maybe less than 50 times in my life, am now 30. Hate the ****ing hipster Connor mcgreggor clones though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I wonder when clean shaven came in to begin with ?

During the great war, has to be clean shaven so you could form a seal on gas masks and not die

During the great war, has to be clean shaven so you could form a seal on gas masks and not die

*comes up with cunning plan to kill all the hipsters*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I wonder when clean shaven came in to begin with ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm still rocking my Christmas holidays 'tache, debating now if I should shave it before heading back in to the office on Monday

vladmydad wrote: »
    I wonder if facial hair reached its peak, will clean shaven faces make a return.

Well the Statutes of Kilkenny in 1366 seem to reflect a 'peak beard' period in Ireland. As did the 'Glib Act' in Trim parliament in 1447 and the 1537 Act for the English Order, Habit and Language so perhaps we might revisit this topic in 653 years and see if beards have reached their peak in Ireland. I suspect the bearded ones will be with us as long as life itself.
    An Irish Statute, 25 Henry VI., c. 20 [A.D. 1447], unpubished, forbids crommeal (or moustache). It appears that English living in the marshes or borders dressed like the Irish, and thus, by colour of being Englishmen, the Irish had opportunity to rob, &c.; wherefore it was ordained that no manner of man, who would be accepted for an Englishman, have any beard upon his mouth, " that is to say, that lie have no hair upon his upper lip, so that the said lip be shaven once at least within two weeks, or of equal growth with the nether lip ; and if any man be found among the English contrary hereunto, it may be lawful for every man to take them and their goods as Irish enemies, and to hold them to ransom as Irish enemies." Translated and transcribed by the Irish Record Commissioners, 1810 — 1825.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Well while we’re at it, have we reached Peak Skinny Jeans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Haven't you heard? we're on to Meggings now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is funny how people say beards are a hipster thing when it clearly a fashion thing opposed to what a hipster means. Checked shirts have always been around a long time and really big thing for decades but people call it hipster dress now.
    Hipster means so little now because people refer to everything as hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I feel the beard trend enabled a lot of lazy ****ers who don't care about their appearance, given that those types of lads don't adhere to fashion generally I'd imagine that there'll be a lot of scuzzy unkemp beards around for a good while.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is funny how people say beards are a hipster thing when it clearly a fashion thing opposed to what a hipster means. Checked shirts have always been around a long time and really big thing for decades but people call it hipster dress now.

Nah, not really. Most people know that a hipster is one of those clones with the slicked back hair, lumberjack beard, skinny jeans, and check shirt.

Just throwing on a check shirt doesn't make one a hipster.

Peak beard was reached around 2016, although those really long Parnell length beards peaked in 2014 I think. I’ve always clean-shaved every 3/4 days, since beards came into fashion and before. There was a time two or three years ago when you would be hard pressed to find a man under 30 who was clean shaven - all were self-absorbedly maintaining a few days stubble using an electric razor or else maintaining an actual beard (which is less contemptible) but yet putting in the effort to regularly clean-shave away the unwanted bits around the neckline and cheeks (so much for rugged-manliness).

Gravelly wrote: »

Nah, not really. Most people know that a hipster is one of those clones with the slicked back hair, lumberjack beard, skinny jeans, and check shirt.

Just throwing on a check shirt doesn't make one a hipster.
    So if they have a beard and a checked shirt they aren't being called hipsters because they don't have skinny jeans? I can tell you people have called me a hippy, rocker and hipster and different points. My fashion sense hasn't changed much being generally jeans and t shirts with a shirt over it if cold.
    What you described is not a hipster either. The whole point is it is about being more individual and being into things not in the mainstream. What you described is a fashionable look not what hipsters are about. Effectively it is a mainstream version of a look that people think is hipster. Not many of them are collecting obscure records or reading beatnik poets which is hipster stuff. Beards at the moment are fashion and not hipster.

So if they have a beard and a checked shirt they aren't being called hipsters because they don't have skinny jeans? I can tell you people have called me a hippy, rocker and hipster and different points. My fashion sense hasn't changed much being generally jeans and t shirts with a shirt over it if cold.
    What you described is not a hipster either. The whole point is it is about being more individual and being into things not in the mainstream. What you described is a fashionable look not what hipsters are about. Effectively it is a mainstream version of a look that people think is hipster. Not many of them are collecting obscure records or reading beatnik poets which is hipster stuff. Beards at the moment are fashion and not hipster.

The term "hipster" is used in mainstream society to describe certain cultural phenomenon whereby young men adopt a uniform look, which includes beards, slicked hair, skinny jeans etc.

You are getting a little hung up on what a hipster is, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you are a fashionable young man with your own individual look, who isn't copying anyone :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

vladmydad wrote: »
    Well while we’re at it, have we reached Peak Skinny Jeans ?

I was in pennys the other week with my son looking to get him a few things. Damn near all the jeans for boys were skinny jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I thought checked shirts (is it not chequered?...have I been saying that wrong all these years?!) were the calling card of your most basic culchie lad on a night out. Usually accompanied by boot cut jeans and Bulmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Rennaws wrote: »
    Whatever about the beards I just can’t get my head around the no socks

Ye the no/ankle socks things is weird. Whatever about the kids, its their thing and what you gonna do? You dont wanna be one of the not cool kids all by yourself.

But when you look at some overweight guy in their thirties who doesnt look that much younger than myself and he squeezed himself into painted on pants and ankle socks. That just looks pathetic.

The term "hipster" is used in mainstream society to describe certain cultural phenomenon whereby young men adopt a uniform look, which includes beards, slicked hair, skinny jeans etc.

You are getting a little hung up on what a hipster is, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you are a fashionable young man with your own individual look, who isn't copying anyone :rolleyes:
    That doesn't mean people understand but the opposite. The fashion style you are talking about isn't hipster. You could call them punks, to The etc... and you would still be wrong. The same way people who liked The Cure were called Goths when they weren't. It's just incorrect.
    I am not a young man and wear what I like. As I don't get clothes made bespoke there is no way I have an individual look. As I have a handle bar moustache I am of course called a hipster but don't wear skinny jeans and have my hair slicked back. When in work I have to wear shirts but not many are formal shirts and I tend to buy cowboy shirts with pop buttons as they are quick to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

We haven't even begun to peak!

God I love that show!:D

Also, look at him! Daaaaaayum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Omackeral wrote: »
    I thought checked shirts (is it not chequered?...have I been saying that wrong all these years?!) were the calling card of your most basic culchie lad on a night out. Usually accompanied by boot cut jeans and Bulmers.

The jeans were isually wranglers had a large buckle and they wore caterpillar boots.

That doesn't mean people understand but the opposite. The fashion style you are talking about isn't hipster. You could call them punks, to The etc... and you would still be wrong. The same way people who liked The Cure were called Goths when they weren't. It's just incorrect.
    I am not a young man and wear what I like. As I don't get clothes made bespoke there is no way I have an individual look. As I have a handle bar moustache I am of course called a hipster but don't wear skinny jeans and have my hair slicked back. When in work I have to wear shirts but not many are formal shirts and I tend to buy cowboy shirts with pop buttons as they are quick to open.

I kinda guessed you were going to have one funnily enough. That or a neck beard.

I kinda guessed you were going to have one funnily enough. That or a neck beard.
    But according to people here it doesn't make me a hipster so what difference does it make to you?
    I personally think the bowl haircut some people have is much worse look as it makes you look like somebody with special needs.
    Never had a neck beardbut had very long hair at one point.

But according to people here it doesn't make me a hipster so what difference does it make to you?

None at all, I don't own any hipsters, so any devaluation of them doesn't affect me :rolleyes:

None at all, I don't own any hipsters, so any devaluation of them doesn't affect me :rolleyes:
    As you don't know what they are how would you know?🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ipso wrote: »
    The jeans were isually wranglers had a large buckle and they wore caterpillar boots.

Someone had a few up close and personal encounters in Coppers! ;)

• Advertisement

As you don't know what they are how would you know?��

There are easy to spot - they are the ones that get all offended when you describe them as hipsters.

Advertisement