Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle protest in dublin city centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

This is a ridiculous suggestion. We should be encouraging cycling not discouraging. No way am I taxing my €50 bike. Are you really naive enough to think fines and more tax would improve anything?

Well, if the government spent millions on actually making Dublin cycle friendly and limiting the amount of car traffic allowed in the city centre, therefore discouraging car use and reducing revenue from motor tax. Do you not think it's fair that cyclists should pay something towards that?

I'd ask you if you really are naive enough to think anything will change in this country without compromise? Attitudes towards cyclists are heavily ingrained and they won't change if cyclists act entitled.

Maybe I am naive because I think change can happen if we all work together. But I'm okay with that. It's better than being unredeemably cynical and unwilling to consider an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If people cycled in Dublin they'd be singing a different tune. For the record I drive and cycle, driving is an infinitely more inconvenient but safer option in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

lightspeed wrote: »
    How many cyclists who support this improvement to cyclist infrastructure would be willing to pay a tax for using a bike?

How many motorists would be willing to pay a tax which fully covers the cost of road building and maintenance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Well, if the government spent millions on actually making Dublin cycle friendly and limiting the amount of car traffic allowed in the city centre, therefore discouraging car use and reducing revenue from motor tax. Do you not think it's fair that cyclists should pay something towards that?

I'd ask you if you really are naive enough to think anything will change in this country without compromise? Attitudes towards cyclists are heavily ingrained and they won't change if cyclists act entitled.

Maybe I am naive because I think change can happen if we all work together. But I'm okay with that. It's better than being unredeemably cynical and unwilling to consider an alternative.

The government may spend millions on cycling and reducing car traffic, and pigs may fly one day! I still would never pay bike tax though. Should pedestrians have to pay for the right to walk to work?

Personally I'm not asking for compromise. It's not the nicest place to cycle and it's a total free for all so I treat it that way and try not to endanger myself and others. It's dog eat dog but I'm good at it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They don't have a bike tax in the Netherlands. And that is a country that has an amazingly successful cycling infrastructure.

The fact is that any changes to improve our cities and towns and make them friendlier to cyclists/pedestrians is going to piss off motorists. And no politician is going to make that decision. Even the idea of making college green, a small part of Dublin, pedestrian brings out howls of rage from motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Put a tax on the gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

No way am I taxing my €50 bike.

There it is right there. Then there is no way you should feel entitled to use any cycle lanes should you.

Im guessing your supportive of the idea of the expense and headache of ripping up roads for more cycle lanes just as long as someone else pays for it?

I suppose motorists would be the obvious choice to pay it through increase taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

There it is right there. Then there is no way you should feel entitled to use any cycle lanes should you.

Im guessing your supportive of the idea of the expense and headache of ripping up roads for more cycle lanes just as long as someone else pays for it?

I suppose motorists would be the obvious choice to pay it through increase taxation.

My point in this thread is that I don't give a f*ck, nothing will change in my lifetime, so when I'm on the road I will break lights etc when I think it's ok. Since I started commuting by bike in 2004 it's only got worse on my route. It's not a nice place to cycle in but I do it every day anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Patww79 wrote: »

This is exactly what's wrong with the world.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They give out to me if they see me, that's why I make sure the Garda aren't around. I can break red lights! I've been doing it for 15 years so clearly I don't need to abide by the rules of the road! I don't really care what motorists think of this, I'm not causing any harm.

and it's this kind of attitude that makes people hate all cyclists, to the detriment of the law-abiding ones.

Grayson wrote: »
    They don't have a bike tax in the Netherlands. And that is a country that has an amazingly successful cycling infrastructure.

The fact is that any changes to improve our cities and towns and make them friendlier to cyclists/pedestrians is going to piss off motorists. And no politician is going to make that decision. Even the idea of making college green, a small part of Dublin, pedestrian brings out howls of rage from motorists.

Well, if we could foster a culture of cycling like the Dutch have then we wouldn't need to think about a tax on bikes because there would be so much support for creating and maintaining the infrastructure.

Look at the end of the day, if we don't believe that us Irish are capable of change and things will always be the way they have been, then we're almost doomed before we begin. There is no point in saying 'The Dutch don't pay tax' because we aren't the Dutch, we didn't experience the same cultural movement they did in the 70s in regards to motoring. This is Ireland and we are responsible for going our own way. If only we had a wee bit of belief in ourselves.

and it's this kind of attitude that makes people hate all cyclists, to the detriment of the law-abiding ones.

I would say 90% of cyclists sometimes break lights

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes more of the George Hookian school of nonsense where people have a hypocritical whinge about an absolute non-issue which has no effect on their daily lives because complaining about a group they perceive to be below them in society provides some relief from the crushing self loathing that comes from the realisation of how badly their life has fallen short of their expectations as a young person.

Tomorrow onto complaining about how teenagers only communicate via text message and next week the scourge of society no longer respecting Catholic values, followed by lamenting how chivalry is dead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I would say 90% of cyclists sometimes break lights

You're wrong and I'll leave that there

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We should encourage barging as a public transport system, I've never seen a barge break red lights, a brage driver wear lycra and we already have the infrastructure in place.

There won't be any problems about sharing lanes either.

Just need to open up the liffey to allow barges.

i-should-buy-b8a1vw.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    How many motorists would be willing to pay a tax which fully covers the cost of road building and maintenance?

Yup, this. Im still baffled that motorists think they pay road tax. Roads are paid out of general taxation which we all pay,and in some instances EU grants.

They perpetuate this myth and it really needs to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well, if we could foster a culture of cycling like the Dutch have then we wouldn't need to think about a tax on bikes because there would be so much support for creating and maintaining the infrastructure.

Look at the end of the day, if we don't believe that us Irish are capable of change and things will always be the way they have been, then we're almost doomed before we begin. There is no point in saying 'The Dutch don't pay tax' because we aren't the Dutch, we didn't experience the same cultural movement they did in the 70s in regards to motoring. This is Ireland and we are responsible for going our own way. If only we had a wee bit of belief in ourselves.

They didn't experience a cultural movement that resulted in change, the change came first. Some forward thinking politicians created it. They needed police protection because of death threats from enraged motorists.

The thing is that it is better. Have city and town centres as pedestrian/cyclist zones. Better air quality, better shopping experience etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No I'm not.I'm saying that it is incredibly stupid to have so many cars going into the city with only 1 occupant in them, it's a terrible waste of road space.You don't actually have to talk to people on the bus you know.

I'd say it takes about 40 minutes to get from the Spa Hotel to the city centre each weekday.Get rid of cars of the roads and you could halve that part of peoples commute and I'm sure most people wouldn't mind having a shorter commute to work.

Every little helps regarding the environment.Reducing the number of cars on the road that don't have to be on the road all across the world would be a positive step.

The pride some people seem to take in their ignorance is quite disappointing but not surprising I guess.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    They didn't experience a cultural movement that resulted in change, the change came first. Some forward thinking politicians created it. They needed police protection because of death threats from enraged motorists.

The thing is that it is better. Have city and town centres as pedestrian/cyclist zones. Better air quality, better shopping experience etc.

Well, I've been misinformed then. I heard the reason that they have such a bike friendly country was a reaction to road deaths and the reliance on fuel.

I don't understand what your second paragraph means. I'm all for a cyclist friendly system in the city and would even be in support of a total ban on privately owned cars with only one occupant within what is now considered the central commercial district for the purposes of waste collection.

Donald??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yup, this. Im still baffled that motorists think they pay road tax. Roads are paid out of general taxation which we all pay,and in some instances EU grants.

In effect, everyone who pays tax, whether they are sitting on a bus, walking, skateboarding or cycling, is paying for the person sitting in the big SUV on his /her own commuting into a busy city centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

How often have you been on bus.It's not really like that at all.And there is such a thing as ear plugs or headphone if people are annoying.

If you think humans causing damage to the environment is a myth then there is really no point in debating with you any further.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Ewww... other people. Sorry to disturb you bubble boy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think a bike tax is a good idea. In Japan, there is a system where every bike must be registered and there is a fine if you are caught with an unregistered bike. They can also take the bike off you if it's registered to somebody else. We could introduce this system and charge a tax at that time. Any fines from non-registration could also go towards improved infrastructure. It would also help with the bike theft problem!

I thought that was a strange one over there, they also cycle on the footpath and seem to have right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Among the worst things about driving in city centre dublin is the cyclists. I f**king hate cyclists.
    Among the worst things about the city centre is the amount of cars. Private cars need to be completely banned from Westmoreland Street, D'Olier Street and the College Green area. It's outrageous the levels of congestion there, and the difficulty and danger facing thousands of pedestrians moving around that part of the city centre every day.

Among the worst things about the city centre is the amount of cars. Private cars need to be completely banned from Westmoreland Street, D'Olier Street and the College Green area. It's outrageous the levels of congestion there, and the difficulty and danger facing thousands of pedestrians moving around that part of the city centre every day.

Yup. Next time you're looking at gridlock traffic, try to image the cars gone and just the drivers standing on the road. You immediately go from jammed roads to near empty roads.
    I honestly can't understand the desire to spend 2 hours every day in traffic.
    You shouldn't be allowed drive in the city without a good reason, like taxi or delivery driver. Not liking public transport is not a good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Perverts cycling around in their PVC shorts.

Advertisement