Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What sort of diet do you have? Do you eat your veggies?

Options
  • 05-02-2017 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine orders a pizza or chinese every day for dinner. Never makes anything at home other than the odd cup of tea. His Sunday treat is a breast in a bun with taco chip.

I'd be on the other end of the spectrum, always trying to get my 5 veg a day. I treat myself to fast food once a week or so - a delicious shish kebab or something after work on a Friday perhaps.

Whereabouts do you fall on the scale?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

See food diet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I eat healthy meals; no gluten or processed muck and always get my veggies in. I have one takeaway a week on average but it'll be a veggie Thai with steamed rice so I don't feel bad about that. I still eat crisps or some form of junk though every day, wish I could kick the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Katgurl wrote: »
    I eat healthy meals; no gluten or processed muck and always get my veggies in. I have one takeaway a week on average but it'll be a veggie Thai with steamed rice so I don't feel bad about that. I still eat crisps or some form of junk though every day, wish I could kick the habit.

There's nothing wrong with gluten if you're not a coeliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well your friend sounds hes getting his 5 a day ,its still better then claiming to eat vegie burger and say you got your 5 a day when eating 1 a day every day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Must admit; I'm f**king murder! I haven't eaten a scrap of green veg in about a twelve month now. Really should do, I s'pose. (Wonder if there'll be any sprouts left, next time I'm in the shop? Doubt it. I like sprouts)

Eat plenty of spud and stuff. Curries, stews. Eat eggs. Spent several months on chilli's, so I had the beans.

My stout keeps me going though. Haven't shrivelled up yet :D

God knows where that leaves me ~ on the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

About 50% awful, and about 50% phenomenally healthy, so which will prevail?...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I've taken to eating raw cauliflower recently. Only if it's very fresh. I really like it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I eat most meals at the alcohol rehabilitation centre where I volunteer. So my diet consists of porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch, meat-potato-veg for dinner. Very bland and boring, but I probably get most of the nutrients in. Don't really eat much outside of that. Everyone tells me I look amazing and have lost loooads of weight ... Rehab diet agrees with me evidently! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Variable. I can no longer eat in any quantity so I graze. Swallowing is a problem too now. And vegetables need to be in soup.

But I eat simply... so no junk or takeaways thank you.

I eat most meals at the alcohol rehabilitation centre where I volunteer. So my diet consists of porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch, meat-potato-veg for dinner. Very bland and boring, but I probably get most of the nutrients in. Don't really eat much outside of that. Everyone tells me I look amazing and have lost loooads of weight ... Rehab diet agrees with me evidently! :D

That is a good simple strong diet; not bland and boring. I would enjoy most of it; simple food is grand.

Interesting that that is for rehab too. Great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

My meals are super healthy. I'm a good cook and make everything from scratch, I always pack as much veg into recipes as I can. I love fruit and veg so it's not too difficult.

Unfortunately I'm a fiend for cereal and toast as snacks and I bloody love cake.

Mmmmmm cake.

My meals are super healthy. I'm a good cook and make everything from scratch, I always pack as much veg into recipes as I can. I love fruit and veg so it's not too difficult.

Unfortunately I'm a fiend for cereal and toast as snacks and I bloody love cake.

Mmmmmm cake.

Ah fellow cake lover! Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah fellow cake lover! Me too!

Mmmmmm : )

I made my second ever chocolate cake the other day & the house smelt SO good - warm chocolate - I felt like licking the walls!!!

In a fit of guilt panic I bought a box of my favourite guilty pleasures for a houseguest I sidn't really know the other day - vienese whirls - she lit up with joy and scoffed them down with both hands!!! Big success!

In my life I have never seen a joyful reception for vegetables.

stimpson wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with gluten if you're not a coeliac.

Brilliant, thanks for that. Very helpful.

I'm not coeliac. I have an autoimmune disease which only became symptomatic (after I had Cancer) a couple of years ago.

Since cutting out gluten my ridiculously swollen face became recognisable again, my thick hair reappeared and my stomach issues disappeared. I'm also back to my teenage weight.

I tried various other routes for approx a year before settling on this one as eliminating gluten isn't exactly convenient.

There is plenty wrong with gluten and I suggest anyone suffering with any thyroid related problems cuts it out for ten days and monitors how they feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'm not coeliac. I have an autoimmune disease which only became symptomatic (after I had Cancer) a couple of years ago.

Since cutting out gluten my ridiculously swollen face became recognisable again, my thick hair reappeared and my stomach issues disappeared. I'm also back to my teenage weight.

I tried various other routes for approx a year before settling on this one as eliminating gluten isn't exactly convenient.

There is plenty wrong with gluten and I suggest anyone suffering with any thyroid related problems cuts it out for ten days and monitors how they feel.

That's fine, there is something wrong with gluten for you and there are other diseases which require the exclusion of gluten also. Nobody has an issue with that.

For anyone who does not have issues with gluten it is not necessarily unhealthy.

I cut out wheat for a month and honestly I felt no different to how I normally feel.

Now, the argument is certainly there that foods containing gluten are often unhealthy foods - cakes/biscuits/white bread etc. But when it comes to things like "gluten free porridge" then it's a step too far for folk who are do not need to exclude gluten but do so simply because they feel it's unhealthy.

(Porridge doesn't contain gluten but is often processed in factories where cross contamination is a factor and therefore those with extreme sensitivities or allergies should avoid the regular type).

Anecdote time: I know someone with crones who cannot eat most green veg as they will make him very very sick. That doesn't mean green veg are unhealthy for everyone.

Then you have a gluten sensitivity , as some do, in your case related to your cancer It does not mean gluten is universally bad.Just for those who have a condition related to gluten.

It is very good that you have identified this d and are taking care of yourself

I have an auto-immune disease and of course tried this to no effect. Did a very full food allergy/sensitivity programme.

That's fine, there is something wrong with gluten for you and there are other diseases which require the exclusion of gluten also. Nobody has an issue with that.

For anyone who does not have issues with gluten it is not necessarily unhealthy.

I cut out wheat for a month and honestly I felt no different to how I normally feel.

Now, the argument is certainly there that foods containing gluten are often unhealthy foods - cakes/biscuits/white bread etc. But when it comes to things like "gluten free porridge" then it's a step too far for folk who are do not need to exclude gluten but do so simply because they feel it's unhealthy.

(Porridge doesn't contain gluten but is often processed in factories where cross contamination is a factor and therefore those with extreme sensitivities or allergies should avoid the regular type).

Anecdote time: I know someone with crones who cannot eat most green veg as they will make him very very sick. That doesn't mean green veg are unhealthy for everyone.

amen to this. NB cakes and white bread are not unhealthy per se, simply a question of balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We have two kids so we eat very healthily for the most part. Loads of soups, pasta sauces, stews to get lots of vegetables into them.

Breakfast this morning was soup of chicken and 10 different vegetables (10 is my target for all these dishes,8 is the minimum acceptable).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My diet is pretty good. I've been losing weight for over a year, so that helps.

I've cut out junk food and processed food. And no alcohol.

I'm mostly vegetarian (eat fish the odd time), but that's been the case for many a year now so nothing to do with trying to lose weight.

I could probably still do with eating more vegetables, and cut back a bit on the carbs. But overall, what I'm doing is working for me.

Sorry to clarify - I wasn't saying it was universally bad. I was responding to the poster who suggested only coeliacs can have gluten sensitivity which is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Loads of meat and veg, crisps and sweets

I am coeliac but with betty crocker gf brownie mix and fudge icing it doesn't matter that much ...
    Mmm cake

Sorry to clarify - I wasn't saying it was universally bad. I was responding to the poster who suggested only coeliacs can have gluten sensitivity which is rubbish.

You may have allergies to other compounds in wheat, but it's unlikely to be gluten. It was the scientist who first theorised Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity that recently disproved it. It's likely that you may be have difficulty with lactose, or short chain carbohydrates called FODMAPs, but it's not the gluten.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/does-non-celiac-gluten-intolerance-actually-exist/

stimpson wrote: »
    You may have allergies to other compounds in wheat, but it's unlikely to be gluten. It was the scientist who first theorised Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity that recently disproved it. It's likely that you may be have difficulty with lactose, or short chain carbohydrates called FODMAPs, but it's not the gluten.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/does-non-celiac-gluten-intolerance-actually-exist/

Interesting read. My heart soared momentarily thinking I'd be able to revive the croissant and latte morning tradition but it still amounts to the same sort of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Salad is garnish.

I like carrots.

Green veg and cauliflower urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People been eating gluten for about 11,000 years. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

People been eating gluten for about 11,000 years. Be grand.

Must be good for you if ppl are living that long.

Interesting read. My heart soared momentarily thinking I'd be able to revive the croissant and latte morning tradition but it still amounts to the same sort of food.

One would hope it will lead to the development of foods with gluten but without the problem compounds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Reasonably healthy, I think.
    I love cooking, so most of our meals would be cooked from scratch, but we would have a takeaway maybe once every two weeks.

My typical day would be greek yoghurt with fresh fruits and nuts and a bit of honey for bereakfast, a salad for lunch (I vary those - greek salad with olives and feta, German salad with carrots, peppers and hardboiled egg, salad with asparagus and halloumi, roasted veg and quinoa, anything I can think of really) and a cooked meal for tea.

I would say that most days, I would struggle not to have my 5 a day, I'd exceed them regularly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

pretty bland boring diet most of the time. Porridge with honey and almond milk most mornings, salad with chicken and sweet potato for lunch, more chicken and heaps of greens for dinner.

I'd have a coffee or two most days and some day instead of a proper dinner I'll just eat cake or icecream because secretly I am 4 years old.

Could eat more vegetables and fruits but not arsed eating more than I do most days. I like having a routine with food, it keeps my moods stable and keeps me from bingeing on even more crap which I was a demon for during my 20s when I was a bit heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mostly eat protein (eggs, fish, lean meat) and vegetables (mostly green veg like spinach, broccoli, cabbage etc.) ......... some fats (avocado, nuts) and a small amount of carbs (brown rice, sweet potatoes, fruit) and I also drink 3-4 litres of water a day.

Except Saturdays when it's pizza, chipper, Chinese etc. all washed down with beer and/or wine! :)

Advertisement