Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2019, 23:13   #1
jumjum

Swords, North Co. Dublin

If you had 390k to buy a house in Swords or nearby area, where would you look? We are a couple with 2 primary school aged children. It will be our first home. We was looking at houses in Waterside, Holywell and Boroimhe. Which estates or areas are a no-no and which seem quiet enough (as in no anti-social stuff going on)? Or should we be looking at Kinsealy instead? All advice welcome.
Advertisement
11-06-2019, 23:42   #2
Uriel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumjum View Post
If you had 390k to buy a house in Swords or nearby area, where would you look? We are a couple with 2 primary school aged children. It will be our first home. We was looking at houses in Waterside, Holywell and Boroimhe. Which estates or areas are a no-no and which seem quiet enough (as in no anti-social stuff going on)? Or should we be looking at Kinsealy instead? All advice welcome.
Swords is like any big town, there's a mix of things. In a general sense it is a safe town, with plenty of quiet estates. My own view is to look at the more mature areas of the town. I don't know waterside well, but I'd avoid hollywell. I can't say anything about how quiet or otherwise it is, but it is a concrete jungle of apartments and duplexes on top of each other. It wouldn't be for me. For the same reason I'd avoid the immediate area around Applewood village. The estates around Applewood are nice though, é.g. Bunbury, south bank etc

Places in your price range like Sanford Woods, boroimhe, Ormond, etc are nice areas, more traditional semi-d with gardens and greater privacy and generally quiter areas.

Kinsealy is grand, but swords has a lot more amenities, public transport etc closer to hand. IF metro ever comes, Swords will enjoy direct benefits in the future.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 00:13   #3
peteb2

I'd be looking at the other side of swords...rathbeale side. Your problem is people don't tend to sell up.

Lived in holywell for 15 years and sold in December. It never matured the way it should have done. I moved cos originally a South sider. But was great having the school on your doorstep and Tesco. It's better than waterside.
Waterside is all terraced. No open spaces. And management fees.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 00:14   #4
peteb2

Boroimhe is nice but again management fees and lots of airport noise.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 07:07   #5
Homer

Rivervalley is a nice mature estate with some schools and walking distance to the village.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2019, 13:34   #6
dk1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumjum View Post
Ridgewood. Just in your price range and great place to live. I just bought in the new ashfield estate in ridgewood and love it there
13-06-2019, 14:15   #7
Sleepy

Look further north (Donabate / Portrane / Rush / Lusk) and you'll get more house for your money in a quieter area (with direct bus lines into Swords for shopping etc.)
13-06-2019, 14:26   #8
Pflano

Millers Glen/Meadowbank new houses, perhaps?
13-06-2019, 17:04   #9
peteb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflano
Millers Glen/Meadowbank new houses, perhaps?
I wouldn't spend 390 down there. It's a concrete jungle.
I'd definitely be looking to donabate with my money.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion