Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone used my card number to buy a flight. Could I catch the bad guy/girl ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

razorblunt wrote: »
    This happened at a Billy Connolly gig years ago. A fight broke out in the aisle, someone's car had been broken into earlier in the week and 2 tickets stolen, along with the radio.
    The victim remembers the seats, rocks up (got in somehow) and started throwing punches at the guy in his seats.
    Turns out the guy sitting there bought the tickets in a pub a few nights before.
    That's the kind of scenario I was playing out in my head ☺

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

fineso.mom wrote: »
    No its a few years old and actually I have used it online to pay for the shopping...supervalu and Tesco, but not for a long time.

I must keep an eye on my transactions. It's rarely I check them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

pilly wrote: »

I wasn't really checking transactions, I was checking my balance and it was a minus number. THEN I checked ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

pilly wrote: »

You're better off, genuinely! My wife (well, we're separated now) but she still manages all the finances, she downloaded the AIB app for her phone and is almost obsessive about checking the bloody thing!

In saying that though, she did catch the young lad rightly recently paying for in-app games purchases on the Play store with her card (the last time it was a series of Mrs. Browns boys, I digress)... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I worked for a certain bank before the crisis and it was a pretty common type of fraud.
    The only thing was that we could see all the details of the person booked on the flight. Name, address used and where the flight was going...
    Usually the person is refunded within the same day as a temporary measure while the investigation is going on and then they send out a document for you to sign saying you swear that it wasn't you essentially.
    It's sent to the Guards by the fraud team of the bank so don't worry about that part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

fineso.mom wrote:
    So, just found a transaction on my account that I definitely didn't make. 143 euros to a well known airline. I've spoken to the bank. They've cancelled my card and will sort the money side, so that's all grand but....... I was wondering, if someone bought a ticket for a flight with my card number they are going to have to turn up to the flight with a passport so to book the flight they would have to use their own name. If I let the airline know it was fraud what would they do? or.....Could I ring the airline and pretend I've booked a flight and forgotten the date/time and so get the name or time of the flight ? Although I can't see them giving me that info with me just giving them the card number that was used to book the flight. Maybe I could say I gave the wrong e-mail and haven't got confirmation, and give them my own e-mail? it's no big deal, the bank is sorting it but my inner Magnum PI would love to rock up to the airport ( if it was even in Ireland) and confront the feckers . ☺ Daydreaming of sting operations aside...is it not kind of stupid to book a flight with a hacked card since you have to turn up with a passport to travel? posting in after hours as I have no worries 're the money. just interested to know what you would do if you had a chance to catch the bad guy?

An airline I'm familiar with, when you pay by card the booking reference number appears on your statement. Just use the booking reference number to cancel the flight. You'll probably have to use the card number given at the time of booking aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Any chance OP maybe someone mistyped their own card number by accident or is there some validation process that checks the card number against the name on the account of the card holder?

When entering your card details you have to provide the name of the card holder, the card number and expiry date and lastly the 3 digit ccv number on the back of the card. The odds of someone accidently entering all the correct details of someone else is astronomical.

Advertisement