Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water suddenly poured from overflow pipe.

• 19-07-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What would cause water to suddenly pour out of an overflow pipe for a few minutes and then stop? Is it something to be concerned about? I recall a few weeks back when I was home alone and the toilet was flushed far less often then normal. Later in the eve, water poured (just a steady stream that time) from the overflow pipe for a few minutes and then stopped - was that just a coincidence?

Sorry, but I know nothing about plumbing.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Assuming it was main water tank, as it is unlikely heating was on, I would check the ballcock on the main water tank, to see if it sticking.
    I had this problem after a water outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cerco wrote: »
    Assuming it was main water tank, as it is unlikely heating was on, I would check the ballcock on the main water tank, to see if it sticking.
    I had this problem after a water outage.

Hi Cerco. No heating was on. Yes, there's a water tank in loft. On what occasions would it be normal for water to come out of the overflow pipe?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

The ballcock floats on top on the water. It controls the water level by turning on and off a valve on the water input. It moves up and down as the water level changes due to usage.
    If the ballcock sticks then the valve maybe held open allowing water in the tank to rise to the level of the overflow pipe. The water comes out through the overflow and prevents the tank itself overflowing.

A new ballcock was put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

New ballcock could be faulty or not designed for your mains water pressure.
    Carry out a visual check by going up it the attic, get someone to run tap in bathroom (not the cold one in kitchen) or flush toilet, then wait for attic tank to fill and if ballcock if working as it should the flow in to tank should stop. Repeat exercise a few times in case it's an intermittent problem with ballcock.

• Advertisement

monseiur wrote: »
    New ballcock could be faulty or not designed for your mains water pressure.
    Carry out a visual check by going up it the attic, get someone to run tap in bathroom (not the cold one in kitchen) or flush toilet, then wait for attic tank to fill and if ballcock if working as it should the flow in to tank should stop. Repeat exercise a few times in case it's an intermittent problem with ballcock.

Hi monseiur. A qualified person did it for me. Thanks.

Advertisement