Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desk top computer

• 11-01-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

There is a desk top computer I like in a shop. It's already on sale. If I offer cash would they give me a further discount. We are just back from Canada and a further discount with cash is the norm there. Not sure about here. Thanks

Comments

If it’s Larry’s Laptops, then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

raik18 wrote: »
    There is a desk top computer I like in a shop. It's already on sale. If I offer cash would they give me a further discount. We are just back from Canada and a further discount with cash is the norm there. Not sure about here. Thanks

Ask to speak to the manager or owner, flash the dolla, go 30% lower (get in first with the offer and anchor that low price) you'll get 10%. If it's Curry's or any of the big ones, unless it's a display or marked, I'd say forget it, but always worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Go in on the last working day of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Is it a pawn shop OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 raik18

Not a pawn shop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Only one way to find out. And if it doesn't work, burn the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Not a pawn shop

When you say offer cash, what do you mean? Are you looking for a cash sale, off the books? Or just paying in cash or card? You seem to think offering cash is some kind of incentive or favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pick me up the copy of Grays Sports Almanac thats beside it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Remind them that it's now 2019, and that you're likely to be one of the last people ever to come through the door looking to buy a desktop computer with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hi OP.

You’ll get a lot of smart arsed answers here. It’s that sort of place.

You’ve come with a genuine query and should be treated with respect.

So. First things first.

Do you have a desk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

No highly doubt you'll get a discount because you'll be paying in cash.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Allinall wrote: »
    Hi OP.

You’ll get a lot of smart arsed answers here. It’s that sort of place.

You’ve come with a genuine query and should be treated with respect.

So. First things first.

Do you have a desk?

Are you actually going to put the computer on the top of the desk, or shall you be putting it under the desk, if said desk exists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you pay by credit card, the shop loses a few percent to the card issuer. That's the best you will probably do discount wise for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If it’s Larry’s Laptops, then maybe.
    Why would Larry's Laptops be selling a desk top? Cop on to yerself man!!!

OP, checkout IKEA. They may sell desk tops, but I'd say you'll have to buy the whole desk.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Why would Larry's Laptops be selling a desk top? Cop on to yerself man!!!

OP, checkout IKEA. They may sell desk tops, but I'd say you'll have to buy the whole desk.

Larry has branched out over the years.
    He is planning on becoming an Apple Authorized reseller soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

If it is new they are unlikely to reduce the price.
    If they have a sale you are more likely to get it reduced further, especially if the sale has been going weeks.
    If it is second-hand (pre-owned) that is your best chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try

Make sure to mention how it is possible in Canada
    Shopkeepers love hearing how much better things are in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Only one way to find out. And if it doesn't work, burn the place down.

kdE8vR5.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Serious answer: I used to work in a small computer shop. We pretty much never gave discounts on computers because the margin is already pretty slim. We could however give discounts on accessories when someone bought a computer.

Actual answer: Blast it with piss.

Advertisement