Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 - 1000 mile challenge - 10 years running

• 31-12-2018 2:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭

<Big fanfare>

It's now 10 years since Woddle created the first 1000 mile challenge thread and we are still going. For those feeling nostalgic for old threads, and tables, then see here for where it all began.

The new 2019 version can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FeaOJnsGvVpP_6Y-jAqMmB8E_L8pRnxOVtlHlPDREaQ/edit?usp=sharing

Same as previous years we are using Google Docs again, just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B. Your ranking amongst the boardsies is shown on the Positions sheet.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. I have manually added the people who had edit access to the locked tab again for this year, and if there is anyone else who wants access to that then you'll need to PM me your Google email address so that I can enable access. I was also a bit lazy with my deletion of entries in the old spreadsheet so if you were in 2018 then you'll already find your name in the 2019 sheet, some of you may want to update your age category though.

Obviously there will be somewhere that I have messed up the calculations due to the year/ leap years or some such. Let me know if you spot those errors though and I'll get them fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    Obviously there will be somewhere that I have messed up the calculations due to the year/ leap years or some such. Let me know if you spot those errors though and I'll get them fixed.

The formula for the 1000-mile estimate date is wrong.

The 2018 should say 2019 instead (you edited the first 2018 but forgot the second one)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Please add me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The formula for the 1000-mile estimate date is wrong.

The 2018 should say 2019 instead (you edited the first 2018 but forgot the second one)

Fixed that one now. Not sure how I missed it seeing as I made both the changes in the 2000 mile estimate column.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spotted this quaint comment from the second post in the original thread:
    I assume it would require trusting people actually ran what they say they ran as a way to measure as not everyone would have a GPS device?

Oh how times have changed. To think that anyone still exists in the western world that doesn't have a multitude of GPS tracking devices on them the moment they get out of bed in the morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

robinph wrote: »
    Spotted this quaint comment from the second post in the original thread:

Oh how times have changed. To think that anyone still exists in the western world that doesn't have a multitude of GPS tracking devices on them the moment they get out of bed in the morning. :D

Get out of bed? Sure you need one on in bed to monitor your sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In again. Hoping to hit 1,500 miles this year which would be 20% more than my previous best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Definitely taking part again and going for 1500 miles in 2019. Hit 1452.7 today for 2018. Thanks for setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

This year is my year to hit the 1000miles. I'm going to make it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Thanks, calculator says I'll be hitting 1000 miles by March at this rate! :-)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poncho1964

Thanks as always Robin, love this thread!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doesn't seem to be adding new people to the positions tab. My calculations are that 29 people have added numbers but only 26 people appear on positions sheet.

That should be sorted now with everyone appearing in the positions sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Thanks for setting this up again Robin.

The 'average weekly mileage' on the 'enter total here' tab is wrong as it is calculating from the start of 2018 instead of 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks to Robin for setting up the tracker again. Always one I follow with interest. Hopefully break through the 2k miles this year for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hey guys, new to this forum
    Does this rely on honesty and filling in ourselves?

Hey guys, new to this forum
    Does this rely on honesty and filling in ourselves?

Yes, we're operating entirely by the honour system

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The spreadsheet is looking a bit broken (loads of blanks in the Positions tab). Hopefully I didn't do it. :)

I'll have a look later on to see if I can figure out what happened...

There was a problem with a couple of names getting missed off the positions sheet, which I fixed.

I think the gap in the listing is just to do with how it lists those who haven't actually entered any mileage for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1000 miles reached at lunchtime

a bit behind schedule for the year, but should be able to catch up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

1000 miles reached last Tuesday, somewhere around Omni Park in Santry on a run-commute home. A 2 day PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Hit 1000m today during a long run with neighbour...beautiful weather for it.

The average formula is still referring to 2018 if it can be updated to 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

1000miles kn the wnd of may, somewhere around dundrum, 1st day baxk at work after jolidays

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Crossed the 1,000 mile mark for the year running up a country hill into the wind on a 50 shades of grey muggy morning. Usually a quiet stretch but the crows were hotly debating something.. possibly Trump landing at Doonbeg under a parachute while the rest of us watch Air Force One skid to a halt at Shannon Airport :)

Oh and just under 6 months earlier than last year.. running is fun again!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Reached 2,000 miles in the Phoenix Park earlier today :)

I'm half the man of ultrawoman .... 1000 miles done today and I felt like it, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Popular day for it. I passed the 1000 mile mark around halfway through the Donadea 50k this morning. Three weeks earlier than last year, marginally better prepared for Belfast 24hr this time!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

I'll join the club, the half marathon in Cork nudged me over the 1000 mile mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just checked there - May 19th in the PP I passed 1000. A little later than the previous year I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Just joined there now. Only passed 1000K for the first time last year, going for the 1000miles this year.

Advertisement