Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comrades 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Think I'm pretty much committed for '21 after the w/end as agreed with a friend that I'd be there, it would be her first time taking part! Will leave it to someone else to open the Comrades 2020 thread :)

I'll just leave these here if anyone is interested in next year. Online entries normally are in Sept.

488020.jpg
    488021.jpg

If you want any info on the event, no problem dropping me a pm.

Nice interactive route map for anyone taking part next June.

Really glad I wasn't planning to take part this year as it has turned into quite the sh*t show for all concerned. SA has gone into lockdown & the Comrades office announced they were closing 'til April 20th so leaving everyone hanging. Anybody who didn't pick up a qualifier before Feb are probably screwed anyway with zero opportunities now. Postponement is the most likely outcome but can't understand why they just come out & say it.

Finally they've bowed to the inevitable.
    With regard to possible postponement, which would require ASA sanction, the CMA Board is of the view that the race cannot be staged later than 4 October 2020 owing to climatic conditions, failing which the 2020 Comrades Marathon will have to be cancelled for the first and only time since World War 2 in the 99 year history of the race.

Full blurb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

opus wrote: »
    Finally they've bowed to the inevitable.

Full blurb.

That statement is as clear as mud.

I just took it to mean, yes we're cancelling but we don't want to tell you just yet!

Of course when I stumble across something like this, I know that I want to go back, hopefully next year.

https://twitter.com/SelfieRunnerZA/status/1251532371410718721

Still no communication from them which is piss poor. I've been given a voucher for my flights which I can use for 2 years. Hoping that there's going to be a deferral process as I can't see how they can guarantee social distancing for 27,500 people for the 12 hours.

• Advertisement

That's pretty bad for sure, it's a fantastic event but all this carry on by the organisers certainly leave a bit of sour taste.

Officially cancelled.

I've no idea how the entry fee for South African runners compares to a weekly wage down there but it feels like they're getting a raw deal. No refund/deferral, instead they're getting the race pack. Had they made the decision earlier I think this could've been avoided.
    • With regard to South African entrants (based on the assumption that all entrants would have eventually qualified to participate in the race) every South African entrant (including the 485 who entered during the recent substitution period) will not be refunded their entry fee but will instead receive their #Comrades2020 mrpsport runners T-shirt and goodie bag, as well as a Comrades badge and flash. The details of the distribution process will be made available in due course in terms of the National Lockdown restrictions. For logistical reasons this will apply to South African entries only.
    • With regard to Foreign Entrants, in lieu of the cancellation, all Foreign Entries will be deferred to #Comrades2021 and/or #Comrades2022, depending upon the athletes’ wishes. In addition, foreign athletes will also have the option of availing their 2020 entry for substitution in 2021 only.
    • With regard to Back-to-Back Medals, those runners who completed their first Comrades Marathon on the 2019 Up Run to Pietermaritzburg will qualify for the Back-to-Back Medal upon completion of the 2021 Comrades Marathon Down Run.

Opus, if you haven't gotten your back to back medal yet, you're still on for it in 2021 if you're going. :)

Luckily I've five medals including a back-to-back :)

Had a message from a friend about the cancellation, not very happy with the no-refund policy. They mentioned the SA runners getting the t-shirt & goody bag but no transfer to next year. It's a lot cheaper for a local to enter.

Still thinking of heading there next year though. Was just a fluke I decided to take a break this year as think all this would have p*ssed me off no end given the amount of training you have to get in for the thing.

Will you head along in '21?

Will you head along in '21?

The desire is there but I need to see how covid-19 plays out over the next few months before making a call on it. If not much has changed I'll push it out to 2022 for the UP year. The centenary celebrations next year would be special to attend though.

Yeah that's my thinking as well about next year for the 100 year anniversary but the way things have gone for the people who entered for this year have tempered my enthusiasm a bit. Plenty of time to mull it over thankfully.

https://www.comrades.com/index.php/comrades-news/182-2021-comrades-marathon-race-date

13th June 2021.

Would love to be there for the centenary but going to push my entry out to 2022. Can't see travel being sanctioned by then.

In a moment of boundless optimism I booked a (admittedly cheap) hotel in Durban for next June a few months back. Suspect you're right about the chances of travel/big races going ahead so very unsure of even entering whenever they open the race.

This means I can procrastinate for a bit longer!

532429.jpg

I'd already long written this off for '21 & maybe for '22 as well but in any case.

542846.jpg

Unsurprising, just glad they cancelled it early instead of dragging it out like like last year.

• Advertisement

Just got this:
    Dear py,

When the decision to cancel the 2020 Comrades Marathon was announced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the CMA advised that all International and Rest of Africa entrants would have the option to defer their entry to either the 2021 or 2022 Comrades Marathon.

Subsequent to this, the CMA announced that the 2021 Comrades Marathon is cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic. Therefore, your (2020) entry is deferred to the 2022 event with no additional costs in the form of entry fees.

Further information will be supplied closer to the 2022 entry period.

Thanks, and stay safe.

I'll be needing an awful lot of reassurances that CV-19 is well under control before I'd be considering Comrades next year if I'm honest.

I'll be needing an awful lot of reassurances that CV-19 is well under control before I'd be considering Comrades next year if I'm honest.

I'd expect we'd have vaccines by then, in Ireland at least. I have not been following South Africa's progress with covid from an infection or vacinnation perspective. The travel restrictions are something to follow for sure.

For anyone interested...

I was waiting to see what they were going to announce today. Kind of annoyed I have to qualify again. Have a qualifier lined up but it is very hilly so I'm going to look at a backup closer to the end of the qualifying window.

Best of luck! I'll think about it for next year... maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

August? That's an unusual date for Comrades! Still on my bucket list, though I'm nowhere near ready for it...

Do you need to qualify as an international entrant just to enter, or is a qualifying time needed just for seeding? I know with Two Oceans Ultra (last ran that in 2016, highly recommend it for anyone looking for a slightly 'shorter' ultra with amazing scenery!), South African residents needed a qualifier to even enter the race (and be part of a running club), but as an 'overseas entry' only needed a qualifier to be seeded for a better starting pen (these being gun-to-chip times, waiting around to start your run still counts towards your finishing time, frustrated the life outta me)

They shifted it to August in 2022 to give it the best chance of going ahead after two consecutive postponements. Limited to 15k people and you need to show proof of covid-19 vaccination to enter.

It is my understanding that you still need to qualify as an international attendee but open to correction on that.

My flights are all sorted. I need to book hotels for Durban and Pietermaritzburg.

• Advertisement

Just over a week away now. I've been watching the official webinars, various YouTubers experiences and reading a lot of race reports. I've been over Coach Parry's website with a fine tooth comb and reread "Make Sure of Your Comrades Medal". I've reached out to a few of the international ambassadors and got some great info. I'm sure I'm missing something though 🙂 If prior starters/finishers have any words of wisdom, it would be very welcome.

I've seen a few other Irish people (<10) on the starting list though not sure if those are all planning to run or if I've even counted everyone.

Post edited by py on

Advertisement