Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin Marathon - 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Booked a package with Sports Tours International - 2 of us going. Used their UK site and saved a good bit.. especially the way STG is at moment.

Work's out not a whole lot more than it would of anyway as either way we would have needed accommodation and flights. We have gone for a "nicer" hotel.. may as well live it up and enjoy the experience.

Seems in general like loads of hotel options in Berlin and all walking distance to start/finish. Probably could have got flights cheaper if had committed earlier but over all working out circa €800 each for 3 nights incl flights and 5* hotel B&B + marathon entry. To put it in context... Ironman Cork is costing me a lot more as I am paying a high entry fee, hotel for the family for 3 nights etc..

This running and fitness thing is an expensive.. but addictive.. business! Can't wait for the trip to Berlin! Will be an interesting city to see and enjoy.. and might go for an aul run on the Sunday.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Cant wait for this, got in on the first lottery. My first Berlin marathon in my adopted home city :D

ps, though not my first marathon in Berlin; the Grunewald marathon was on the 17th November. 2 laps of the forest on the western edge of Berlin. Well worth doing if you dont mind small crowds(less than 1000 people) and dont expect a pb as its hilly for 4k(to be done twice!).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

To those who got in, did you get a welcome pack of some sort in the post?

I still haven't received anything in the post but can see my race entry on the app which is a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Pink11 wrote: »
    To those who got in, did you get a welcome pack of some sort in the post?

I still haven't received anything in the post but can see my race entry on the app which is a relief.

Im in the same boat as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Husband and I are the same. Definitely registered but nothing in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why are you expecting anything in the post? Your confirmation email said your bank account/card would be debited in a couple of days, and then you'll get an email in mid-September. No mention of anything to be posted

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Why are you expecting anything in the post? Your confirmation email said your bank account/card would be debited in a couple of days, and then you'll get an email in mid-September. No mention of anything to be posted

Mate who did it years ago told me he got a 'welcome/info pack' few months after ballot results were confirmed so was just curious to see if anyone for 2019 got theirs yet (if it still exists). Perhaps the app replaces that, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

You can check the participant list here, if you're on it then I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Mate who did it years ago told me he got a 'welcome/info pack' few months after ballot results were confirmed so was just curious to see if anyone for 2019 got theirs yet (if it still exists). Perhaps the app replaces that, apologies.

I got nothing in the post last year

Hi all, Ryanair have a sale on at the moment. Return flight on Sunday 18:10pm is only 50euro! I'm thinking of cancelling my second night in the hotel and going home Sunday night. I have seen Berlin already so would have no real reason to hang around.
    Will it be easy enough to get a taxi about 3/3.30pm or do they close the roads?
    My hotel is near start line so shouldn't be too much of a delay after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hi all, Ryanair have a sale on at the moment. Return flight on Sunday 18:10pm is only 50euro! I'm thinking of cancelling my second night in the hotel and going home Sunday night. I have seen Berlin already so would have no real reason to hang around.
    Will it be easy enough to get a taxi about 3/3.30pm or do they close the roads?
    My hotel is near start line so shouldn't be too much of a delay after.

Would you not be putting yourself under more stress right after a marathon by catching a flight out so soon after finishing?
    Is there a later one that night you could get?

Would you not be putting yourself under more stress right after a marathon by catching a flight out so soon after finishing?
    Is there a later one that night you could get?

I'm the kind of person who just likes to get home and shower after a race so thought maybe it'd suit better.

The idea of saving approx 130euro from cancelling the 2nd night in the hotel and the extra money the flights on Monday cost is very appealing, I'm tempted!

Would it be too stressful though I wonder? First time going abroad for a marathon.

I'm the kind of person who just likes to get home and shower after a race so thought maybe it'd suit better.

The idea of saving approx 130euro from cancelling the 2nd night in the hotel and the extra money the flights on Monday cost is very appealing, I'm tempted!

Would it be too stressful though I wonder? First time going abroad for a marathon.

I can understand why you're considering it. The cost adds up for sure. I paid for my trip by working some overtime.

I've only done one marathon abroad and I caught a flight home around 2200 that night. That was manageable, though I was a bit under pressure to get back to the hotel in time to shower and I wanted to lie down for a bit too. There's no way I would have managed a flight at 1800.

Thanks for that, I need to have a think and stop getting carried away with the ryanair sale bargin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Thanks for that, I need to have a think and stop getting carried away with the ryanair sale bargin!

Just an observation from last year......Berlin Schonefeld airport is a kip. The plus is that it has a train connection. The other Berlin airport only has a bus connection.

Just an observation from last year......Berlin Schonefeld airport is a kip. The plus is that it has a train connection. The other Berlin airport only has a bus connection.

Did you do it before? I'm curious how crazy the traffic on marathon day would be by 3.30pm? If I can jump in a taxi at that time I'll make the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Did you do it before? I'm curious how crazy the traffic on marathon day would be by 3.30pm? If I can jump in a taxi at that time I'll make the flight.

From what I remember a lot of the roads were still closed at that stage, airport buses were not running and you might have to get away from the central area to find a taxi. I didnt leave until the following morning so didnt have the hassle.

From what I remember a lot of the roads were still closed at that stage, airport buses were not running and you might have to get away from the central area to find a taxi. I didnt leave until the following morning so didnt have the hassle.

Think it's best I avoid the 6pm flight, it'll be too stressy you guys are right. Thanks.

Anybody starting their training this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Yep!!!

18 fun weeks ahead

• Advertisement

Kicked off this week too, happy training to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I started an 18 week specific plan this week too. I've been building back up from zero for the past 12 week with a few setbacks. :(

I'm doing up to 40 miles per week with the longest LR going to be 17m. Time will not be a major factor in this marathon just want to get around in one piece.

Hopefully the 18 weeks will go smoothly, for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Yep I'm getting going this week as well.

My third marathon, first time running Berlin. Really looking forward to it, it's a great city.

Best of luck with the training all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, this is my third year signing up for Berlin in in a row, but have yet to make the start line. :rolleyes: Just booked flights in an out of Poland (with carry-ons) for €90/person, which is a decent saving on flying to Berlin. Flying into Poznan arriving Friday morning, and flying out of Szczecin Monday night. Will mean hiring a car (€120) and driving the 2-3 hour journey to Berlin, but much rather do that than hand over the extra €400 (two people) to the scalping airlines. Plus if injury besets me again, we'll just stay in Poznan!

Didn't realize we'd hit the 18 week mark, but my base (while not a patch on previous years) is pretty ok. Not hoping for anything spectacular, just would be great to make the start line and run a race I'd be satisfied with. This time last year, I thought I was done for good, so I'm just glad to be looking forward to some marathon training.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck everyone. I had an option to enter this year after not running last year but decided against it. It's a good race, just remember the Brandenburg Gate is not the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

If anyone has a hotel room booked that they might not end up using could they PM me please. Have a mate running who hasn't sorted accommodation yet and I said I'd ask around on these parts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Think it will be a 12 week program for me as have to face a bit of a long jog at Comrades next w/end so might need a week or two to recover. Don't forget about Berlin's only (at the moment) parkrun on the Sat, should be good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

opus wrote: »
    Don't forget about Berlin's only (at the moment) parkrun on the Sat, should be good fun.
    Going to be some crowd at that I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

opus wrote: »
    Think it will be a 12 week program for me as have to face a bit of a long jog at Comrades next w/end so might need a week or two to recover. Don't forget about Berlin's only (at the moment) parkrun on the Sat, should be good fun.

We've done that one before. Area is pretty dodgy, but its a nice run. Lots of red squirrels around. Also a bit of a free for all for drug dealers, they have little campsites set up in the trees across the park and do their dealing from them. It's a little amusing because when the police did a walk past while we were there they all scattered, then once the police left, they all just came back and carried on. Didn't feel unsafe, but wouldn't want to be there after dark, that's for sure.

I've had IT band issues since the start of the year so only just starting running properly again in the last few weeks. Just doing 5k's at the minute so training is definitely not where I wanted it to be, given this is my first marathon. But I'm still confident I'll finish.

• Advertisement

I have deferred my place in Berlin until 2020.
    Just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck with your training and in September.
    I'll be rooting for you all.

Advertisement