Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Could you pm me the details too please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

BrendanD wrote: »
    Could you pm me the details too please

No problem, sent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ggsolar ireland

That company screwed me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Recent quote :

14 panel 310 watt panels (4.3kw) roof mounted
    Solis 3.6kw inverter (?)
    2 x 2.4kw pylontec batteries
    iBoost diverter

€10,700 inc vat and before grant. (Grant = €3,000)

Queried 3.6kw inverter for 4.3kw input. Is this ok ?
    Installer wants me to look after seai grant myself. Is this normal ?

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Looks like a decent quote. Yes you have to do some of the grant paperwork yourself. The installer will also need to upload some stuff on their side.
    3.6 inverter for 4.3kW panels is fine. Though you can ask them for a bigger inverter. The 5kW inverter is only 50 Euro more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

garo wrote: »
    Yes you can do the grant paperwork yourself. The installer will just need to upload some stuff on their side. But note with the new regime grant will go to installer so you pay them net of grant.

So this installer wants the client to do his admin work and then also trust that the client slso does it correctly to ensure that he's paid ? Sounds like the installer doesn't realize that he's the one who will be paid by the SEAI.

It actually makes a lot of sense. We've seen people chasing installers to get paperwork uploaded to be able to be paid grants, with every possibility of it never being done, since the installer previously had no incentive to complete it, unless a client cleverly did a deal to with old the grant amount.

I certainly wasn't aware that the grants would now be paid to the installers instead.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like a decent quote. Yes you can do the grant paperwork yourself. The installer will just need to upload some stuff on their side. But note with the new regime grant will go to installer so you pay them net of grant.

You sure about that? It asks for your IBAN and all that when you set it up and it looks like it's the installer that does all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tarant

I couldnt be happier

Told him I can by the hardware for 4.500€ from solartricity.ie

4.2kw 14x300w panels east/west
    Solis 3.6kw inverter
    2.4kw pylontec battery

He give me a quote for 6.700€ (It's now over 8k on his site)

minus Grant of 3.700 (last year's)

and a reversing Meter:):):)

But I am still waiting on the Grant Money, install was August 19

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

E30i wrote: »
    There is a lot of useful info in the 2018 Thread but with the new grant structure I thought it would be useful to have a new reference thread for prices/package.

This will allow people to make a decision on what is currently available under the new Grant.

€11k + VAT less the €3000 grant for 4kw and 8.2 KW battery on a 2 story slate roof.
    Hi,
    We got the pv panels roughly 5 months ago with Solar Electric, rang up several different companies and they were the cheapest I could find, by a distance. We went with 6 panels with a diverter, they came to the house done a survey went through everything and suggested 6 would be the best value for us, they probably could've tried to bullsh**ing and suggesting 7 panels and a battery but they didn't (I had done my research anyway so knew what we needed).
    The price we paid was €4,596 - the grant €1,260. So the total cost was €3,336.
    This is exactly what we got a 1.8 kWp PV System with 1.5kW SMA string inverter.

They installed the panels and all electrics in the one day :)
    Hope this helps in some way!

Just to add the payback period for us is around 13 years, which isn't too bad considering any money you leave in the bank you will earn nearly zero interest on. If we went with the battery the payback period was something like 25 years (I think). Hopefully feed in tariffs will come in soon too which will reduce payback period further

• Advertisement

Finally, ours is a south facing roof, I think the direction your roof faces is crucially important in terms of the panels output. As an earlier user suggested a east/west roof would not be good for a battery (I'm no expert but common sense would tell you that). Since the middle of October when our panels were installed up to today our panels have produced 544.01 kWh so they are probably going to slightly exceed their expected output of 1,800 kWh for 12 months. Don't underestimate the importance of the direction your roof faces as that will significantly impact the payback period and if someone tries to sell you the batteries be sure to do the research to make sure you need them ie maybe you have an electric car?
    Final point you can always add extra panels/batteries down the line if you need, we might do that if we eventually get an electric car, one thing worth noting is that if you get more than 7 panels you need planning permission, this might have changed in the last 6 months, but 6 months ago you needed planning permission anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jams100 wrote: »
    Just to add the payback period for us is around 13 years, which isn't too bad considering any money you leave in the bank you will earn nearly zero interest on. If we went with the battery the payback period was something like 25 years (I think). Hopefully feed in tariffs will come in soon too which will reduce payback period further

Your payback would be a lot quicker if you hadn't installed the diverter. It will never pay for itself on a small system. But that's water under the bridge now and you're right that a battery system would have increased your pay back period (and probably also never pay for itself if we get a feed in tariff)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Anyone has any news on FIT? It seems to me that it is not going to materialize in this country.
    Also staying on topic anyone seen Pylontech batteries for good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

mun1 wrote: »
    Recent quote :

14 panel 310 watt panels (4.3kw) roof mounted
    Solis 3.6kw inverter (?)
    2 x 2.4kw pylontec batteries
    iBoost diverter

€10,700 inc vat and before grant. (Grant = €3,000)

Queried 3.6kw inverter for 4.3kw input. Is this ok ?
    Installer wants me to look after seai grant myself. Is this normal ?

Any thoughts ?

Seen your PM. So if you go with only 1 battery, what is it gonna cost you?? Something like 9.5K less grant. I had to set up an account with SEAI and upload installers details,so he got the grant money. Didn't take very long. Literally less than 10 minutes and he talked me through it on the phone. Installer also uploads the paperwork from his side for approval. Easy to do. I hope you got the same feeling that I did from him, that he really knows what he is doing and he's a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snhjou

Our BER is now E1 (308.31 kWh/m2/yr)
    When I install:
    4.3 kWp solar panels
    5 kWp inverter.
    5.7 kWh battery and a hot water diverter.
    Is this enough to get a BER of C?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Snhjou wrote: »
    When I install:
    4.3 kWp solar panels
    5 kWp inverter.

Any thoughts?

I'd say unlikely.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You sure about that? It asks for your IBAN and all that when you set it up and it looks like it's the installer that does all the paperwork.

Apologies. I have corrected the original post. The IBAN you enter can be yours or the installer’s. up to you and the installer to decide who gets the grant.

KCross wrote: »
    I'd say unlikely.

And if I have a D2?

When I install:
    4.3 kWp solar panels
    5 kWp inverter.

Any thoughts?
    I'd say unlikely.

The different BER ratings are not all linear. The lower ones(where you are at) have wider gaps between them and so harder to go up from one rating to another.

As you go from D1 up they are evenly spaced and you could reasonably expect to go up one rating by the addition of SolarPV (depending on size).

Since you said you are at E1 I think you would have zero chance of getting to C (which is whats required for the SolarPV grant) by just installing SolarPV.

Even if you did get the grant, at a rating of E you should really, imo, be spending your money on insulation, windows, doors, sealing fireplaces, LED's, heating controls etc.

SolarPV should be at the end of that list in relation to bang for your buck.

At E1 the house must be hard to keep warm? Single glazed windows, no heating controls etc?

And if I have a D2?

Have you other works in progress that you think you might get to D2 from E1?

At D1 you probably would get to C by adding SolarPV but you'd need to check with your installer and confirm that before they proceed. D2 might be possible too but that bit harder. A friendly word to your BER assessor could resolve it?! ;)

The process that SolarPV installers appear to be taking is that they do a preliminary BER before SolarPV is added. They can then easily see what your rating is going to be once you install SolarPV because all they have to do is pump the new numbers into the BER software and then they can be sure you get the grant.

It means paying for a BER beforehand though which might be money down the drain if it comes back as an E1!

Energy generated by solar PV gets a 1.7 multiplier. So for example for my 4.8kW panels I got credited for around 7,700 kWh against my BER. Divide that by your floor area and you get the reduction in energy usage per sqm. You can then see where you will fall on the BER scale after getting PV.

• Advertisement

Energy generated by solar PV gets a 1.7 multiplier. So for example for my 4.8kW panels I got credited for around 7,700 kWh against my BER. Divide that by your floor area and you get the reduction in energy usage per sqm. You can then see where you will fall on the BER scale after getting PV.

Which will typically work out at one, or maybe two, bands on the BER scale... unless you put in a huge array in a small house!

e.g. ~4kWp(14 panels) in a 2000sqft(185sqm) house which is a decent size house would give you a reduction of 37kWh/sqm so you would improve by one rating and possibly two if you were already at the upper end of your current rating (25 between ratings above D1).

The different BER ratings are not all linear. The lower ones(where you are at) have wider gaps between them and so harder to go up from one rating to another.

As you go from D1 up they are evenly spaced and you could reasonably expect to go up one rating by the addition of SolarPV (depending on size).

Since you said you are at E1 I think you would have zero chance of getting to C (which is whats required for the SolarPV grant) by just installing SolarPV.

Even if you did get the grant, at a rating of E you should really, imo, be spending your money on insulation, windows, doors, sealing fireplaces, LED's, heating controls etc.

SolarPV should be at the end of that list in relation to bang for your buck.

At E1 the house must be hard to keep warm? Single glazed windows, no heating controls etc?

Have you other works in progress that you think you might get to D2 from E1?

At D1 you probably would get to C by adding SolarPV but you'd need to check with your installer and confirm that before they proceed. D2 might be possible too but that bit harder. A friendly word to your BER assessor could resolve it?! ;)

The process that SolarPV installers appear to be taking is that they do a preliminary BER before SolarPV is added. They can then easily see what your rating is going to be once you install SolarPV because all they have to do is pump the new numbers into the BER software and then they can be sure you get the grant.

It means paying for a BER beforehand though which might be money down the drain if it comes back as an E1!

When we came here it was F.
    What I did was:
    A new condensing heater, closing 3 open fire places, 100 mm insulation under the floor, underfloor heating in the whole house, every room has is own thermostat, led bulbs, attic insulation and a new roof. We have double glazing.
    I really don't know what I can do more.

When we came here it was F.
    What I did was:
    A new condensing heater, closing 3 open fire places, 100 mm insulation under the floor, underfloor heating in the whole house, every room has is own thermostat, led bulbs, attic insulation and a new roof. We have double glazing.
    I really don't know what I can do more.

And are you now at E1 or D2, its not clear from your posts?

Which will typically work out at one, or maybe two, bands on the BER scale... unless you put in a huge array in a small house!

e.g. ~4kWp(14 panels) in a 2000sqft(185sqm) house which is a decent size house would give you a reduction of 37kWh/sqm so you would improve by one rating and possibly two if you were already at the upper end of your current rating (25 between ratings above D1).

Our house is about 100 sqm and high in the E1 I think.

And are you now at E1 or D2, its not clear from your posts?

We are now E1 but when I ad a timer on our boiler than we are D2.
    That is what the assessor told me.
    I ask him to put also the PV system in it and see what happens.

The BER assessor did the calculation based on my PV system and also controls for hot water and heating.
    The result is a C2 (193.57 kWh/m2/yr).
    I think that is good news.

The BER assessor did the calculation based on my PV system and also controls for hot water and heating.

You're good to go so.

And fair play on all the measures you've put in to improve your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hello,

I have the Eddie however it is tripping out to "max temp reached" i did some research and it happens if the current goes to zero, even thou it wants to heat, so for example a thermocouple issue with the immersion or the immersion itself,

i replaced the immersion thermocouple, same issue,

next step is the immersion itself, which is a bit more tricky,? any idea's

Could the immersion just be gone, maybe the eddie and solar is hard for an immersion, I measured across it and got 20 ohm's which seems right per this excellent video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWkCGFhuus&t=378s

Fantastic. Having a smaller house helps with PV as it reduces the denominator in the energy saved per sq m calculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Remember to post your monthly stats on https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058050685. If nothing else, apart from tracking your own system performance, you can confirm that your system is working as efficiently as others with similar systems

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement