Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favorite 3 Sci-Fi/Fantasy films and why

• 27-08-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Exactly that. What’s your favorites of all time :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Maybe start with yours? Start that ball rolling.

Sci fi and fantasy are very different, even if enjoyed by a lot of the same people.

You might ask for 3 of each, and maybe start with your choices (and reasons) to get the ball rolling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tends to be a moving feast for me which varies based on the humour I'm in. Three long term highlights I've watched on multiple occasions and enjoyed thoroughly each time, in nor particular order are;

Spirited away
    Brazil
    Delicatessen

I tend to really enjoy the big space operas like Star Wars and rambling fantasies like LoTR on the first watch but no so much on the repeats. I reckon TV series are a better format for the extended epic stuff and find a fair number of the modern sci-fi movies a bit of a disappointment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not sure if counted as films (they did release multiple) but Babylon 5 - Space Opera done right; great story telling etc. but assuming not:

1) Alien - The original horror movie done right; Alien 2 could go here as well but the two are very different
    2) Inception - The story in a story in a story approach is very well done and the ending is sublime
    3) Starship Trooper - It's nothing like the book but if you take it for what it is it's a great story telling on propaganda etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the Riddick movies

also i want to be riddick when i grow up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

bluewolf wrote: »
    the Riddick movies

I used to say to the kids that I wanted to be Gandalf when I grow up. Stock response from them was "if you grow up"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blade Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

When I think of riddicks life story, it’s not a good life story overall :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Midster wrote: »
    Anything specific? It's been a few years since I watched them and I never read any books/played any games for the story but as far as I recall (spoiler tag to be cautious):

[*]Riddick was a bad ass kicking around the universe, got thrown in jail and escapes several times (movie 1); don't appear to be unhappy about life in general if a bit jaded

[*]Escapes with girl he see's as a potential daughter (movie 1)

[*]Some friends die at the invasion of alien space force but he gets out, rescues his adopted daughter from prison, gets some more revenge on some people who caught him. After the escape the daughter gets converted (but she turns back in the end as I recall) and he goes on a rampage but ends up getting revenge (knife in head on previous leader) and becomes the war leader (movie 2)

[*]Gets betrayed by his court, get a puppy who he nurtures and cares for only to escape and come back kicking ass. Can't recall the daughter being part at all in the movie.
    I mean overall being an general badass and saving people he's done quite ok for himself. He's not depressed and gets to kick ass of the people who betray him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Blade Runner
    Dark Star

Disclaimer: my opinions likely to change on a whim

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    the Riddick movies

Well, his home planet was populated by complete badasses who excelled in hand to hand combat (hard to believe for that reason they were peaceful people.)
    Despite that, the planet they called home was blown to smithereens by aliens in a big spaceship high in orbit. Riddick either escaped or wasn’t there when it happened, either way, of course he was extremely upset and internalized the whole thing.

He roamed the galaxy after then, alone and angry, probably killing again and again until eventually been caught by the authorities who put him in an inescapable, very dark jail.

Riddick wasn’t beaten by this, he found another complete mad man to polish his eye balls so he could see really well in the dark so he could kill the guards and anyone else who got in his way and see his way out and escape.

After he did this he must have gone into hiding, needed something eventually (probably food) and killed someone to get it. He got captured again after then by the guy in pitch black.

On the way to put this mad guy with polished eye balls back into another prison they crashed together on a seemingly dead planet, despite that everything seems pretty manageable till it goes dark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have a place in my heart for flawed sci-fi films so Contact is joined by Cloud Atlas and Interstellar.

Nody wrote: »
    Midster wrote: »
    I mean overall being an general badass and saving people he's done quite ok for himself. He's not depressed and gets to kick ass of the people who betray him.

I refer you to my last message on this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Fifth Element - this is just an awesome film, great actors, imagery, humour, it has everything
    Starship Troopers - fantastic satire
    Dune - I'm not claiming it's great, just that it's one of my favourites (because of the book)
    Aliens - does it need explaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sci-Fi movies off the top of my head

Gattaca
    Contact
    District 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Off the top of my head and in no order....

FANTASY

Hellboy
    Princess Bride
    Angel A

SCI FI

The Thing
    Aliens
    Blade Runner (1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Android
    (Klaus Kinski and James Brown in Space)

Hardware
    (Lemmy in a scifi movie)

Blade Runner
    (no explanation necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Fantasy
    Conan the Barbarian (Arnie)
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Cheating a bit but if I had to choose then The Fellowship of the Ring)
    Dragonslayer

Sci-Fi
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Arrival how the ending resolves and you get it. its on netflix atm
    The Fifth element very exciting Romp excellent bad guy
    Alien truly scary and the Alien was great

Also loved the pacing of bladerunner 2049 and how it was similar to the original film

Jesus I cannot believe I forgot district 9! It was so good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Alien (better than Aliens, whatever anyone says)
    Blade Runner
    Event Horizon (much under-rated)

There are probably many other that I havent thought of

Alien (better than Aliens, whatever anyone says)
    Blade Runner
    Event Horizon (much under-rated)

There are probably many other that I havent thought of

Saw event Horizon in the cinema came out wondering if there were going to be psychological repercussions after seeing it ! :D it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

Blade Runner (both new and old) - the very idea of androids as a race facinates me. A.I. runs a close second for me.

Brazil - a very possible future in a crowded world. The scene in the office space with the shared office desk either side of a wall stands out for me.

Alien - the tension in the first one is brilliant, especially when you consider you barely get to see the alien at all.

Fifth Element - for being truly off the wall weird

Minority report - ignore the police stuff, the concept of reading your retina as you enter a store and your retina becoming your form of ID is something I can see coming in the bit too distant future.

You said 3 but I couldn’t resist !

sheesh wrote: »
    Saw event Horizon in the cinema came out wondering if there were going to be psychological repercussions after seeing it ! :D it was great.
    I can only watch the first half of Event Horizon!

I love it, but I can't handle anymore the decent into where it goes...

"Libera te tutemet ex inferis" :eek:

Advertisement