Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk kindle to me

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Brego888 wrote: »
    What kind of battery life are you getting on your ipads though?

The work one is quite good, as it’s the newest model. Lasts me a few days with email, browsing, document reading and some Kindle. My personal iPad is a good bit older and doesn’t have the same battery capacity at all.

I get that the Kindle is a good device. But I prefer the overall capacity & ability that I have on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I find Kindle great as an alternative to reading glasses, just embiggen the font
    also +1 for the paperwhite so you can read it in the dark
    In the past I have found that amazon.com had a better range of sci-fi kindle books than .co.uk, have not checked recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A waterproof kindle is the business especially with dark mode and Calibre for converting my non-kindle books, I picked up an Aldi hot tub a couple of years ago so most evenings I can be found bobbing about with my kindle in the back garden. Kindle unlimited along with recommendations from here provides a regular supply of floating reading material, currently enjoying Aftershocks - book 1 of the Palladium Wars

I have had most models as my kids break theirs then I give them mine and HAVE to go shopping for a replacement :-)
    Current model is the V1 Oasis, it just works really well, before that I has a Voyage which I really liked. Kids have gotten too careful as they have grown up a bit so no excuse to go for a later model. Battery life, robustness and portability are the main reasons that I prefer my kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Kindle is great in fairness. I use Audible a good bit as well and the Whispersync feature is brilliant. I was sick of the sh1te that does be on the radio when driving, so audiobooks are a great alternative. Means I can get through books at a good speed..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've been tempted to buy a dedicated e-book reader, or ask for one for Xmas. Got back into reading a bit over lockdown and want to keep the habit going.

Thing is, I have downloaded the Overdrive App on my Kindle Fire HD, but I have found the odd book which has at least one line missing at the bottom of the page. An obvious formatting issue.

So any recommendation for a reader which would allow use of Overdrive (since this is handy for borrowing library ebooks) and which might also allow you to put ebook files on tonir via drag and drop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Maybe it is just age, but tbh I think my eyesight has deteriorated for reading small font since i started using larger font on kindle. I may be confusing cause with effect here though. I am approaching 50 so i guess some deterioration is to be expected, but until recently I had unusually sharp eyesight, I could read e.g. distant signs from far further away than other people could. Now I struggle with small font especially in dim light. reading cooking instructions on packaging etc. is getting to be difficult.

I have read almost exclusively on kindle for the last decade. I love my kindle. I have a room where two walls are floor to ceiling bookshelves and they are filled 2 deep, the one drawback with kindle is that those shelves are frozen in time and not continuing to fill or to change. I love the backlight for reading in bed without disturbing my wife with a bedside light.

Advertisement