Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

AWOL A List comparisons.... yesterday and today...

BBC Radio 1 -
    Greg James in for Chris Moyles
    Jo Whiley is playing a best of live acts, hard to know her links are live.
    James King doing movie reviews, in place of Edith Bowman
    Mark Chapman doing "Scott Mills Gold"
    A List count = 1, and possibly pre-recorded

BBC Radio 2 -
    Richard Hammond in for the Togmeister
    Ken Bruce covering his own show and Jeremy Vine's
    Lisa Tarbuck in for Steve Wright
    Bob Harris* in for Chris Evans, which is not a bad thing.
    Alex Lester in his usual dark hole.
    A list count = 2.

Radio 4 is near a normal service, there are a few repeats in terms of taped programming.

So for comparison, RTÉ holds up pretty well. Ronan Collins and Dave Fanning are on air, on 2FM, Rick O'Shea and Will Leahy are around.

*Good to see that Bob is back on the air after his recent illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Have to say that seriously RTE should be sued for their performance this Xmas.

FFS!! four hours of Collins and horse racing for two days at peak listening hours.

Cmon now, that smacks of pure fcukin laziness and takes the listener for a totally stupid sap who couldn't be arsed to complain.

I am going to e-mail leddy and protest(when I calm down) .

Its just not good enough.

jaysus even a bit of topical discussion for a while would lighten the absolute banality of what RTE are producing.
    The are ,in my honest opinion,taking the listeners as total gobshoooites.

I have no interest in what others are doing,I don't pay them.

Have to say that seriously RTE should be sued for their performance this Xmas.

That line there made my Christmas! :D
    FFS!! four hours of Collins and horse racing for two days at peak listening hours.

Brings back memories of Airs and Races with Val Joyce! :D
    jaysus even a bit of topical discussion for a while would lighten the absolute banality of what RTE are producing.

Perhaps, perhaps, people don't want topical discussion? I see Morning Ireland was on for an hour this morning. Drivetime is on this evening, but IMHO, I don't want Liveline on this week. It's Christmas week, I don't want to talk to Joe.
    I have no interest in what others are doing,I don't pay them.

Indeed, indeed, you say that, yet you'd like RTÉ to be closer to the standard bearers in PSB, like the BBC? They are no better or worse at this time of year. As I said last year, there is no routine at this time of the year, hence the radio schedules reflect listeners lives.

I wish to express my utter disappointment with your Radio 1 schedule
    on the 26th and 27th of December.
    To foist the listeners with over four hours of Ronan Collins and horse
    racing at a peak time for radio,to me
    smacks of arrogance and laziness and a "sure anything will do them"
    attitude,at this time of the year.
    The absolute banality of that schedule is incredible,and is something
    I,as a license payer,resent totally.
    As a public service broadcaster,and usually a good one,it never ceases
    to amaze me how RTE succumb
    to vested interests and "tradition" over the Christmas period.
    I fully realise that this e-mail will make no difference, and probably
    only generate an automatic reply,which is "par for the course" in RTE
    customer feedback parlance, but for the record I spent a lot of my
    listening time over this period tuned into Newstalk.

I will stay on that frequency unless RTE finally wake up and realise
    that listeners are possible more important
    than the terms and conditions worked out by the over cosseted people
    in your establishment,and you stop
    treating license payers as morons who will take any old rubbish you throw out.

Copy of letter sent to Anne Leddy RTE Radio

Thank you for your e.mail which has been forwarded to the office of the Head of RTÉ Radio One.

With every good wish.

Máire Nic Fhinn,
    RTÉ Information

Thats the story as she stands.28 Dec

• Advertisement

Good man. I know this issue narks you no end, so continue to send the mails until you get a positive outcome in your eyes. Because you are so narked about it, I'd write to the letters page of Irish Times or the Indo if I were you.

This might be contrary to what I typed before, but its not. We'll have to agree to disagree on this matter. It just needs more people to be as vocal about the issue as Flutter before anyone takes notice.

I was going to half suspect an "out of office until Monday 7th" reply, I dunno what would happen to Flutter if it did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would love to be able to talk to joe on the 26th about the poor standard of radio over christmas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I see rte 1 radio have a lecture by the head of the world bank on newyears day at 2pm, it could be a 1 or 2 hour affair,not sure.
    Eh....I'll see yis there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

RTE are advertising a very special edition of Today with Pat Kenny on New Year's Eve. It's a whole show of music. Basically the easiest possible thing you could record in advance. But the less Pat the better in my opinion!

dubtom wrote: »
    I see rte 1 radio have a lecture by the head of the world bank on newyears day at 2pm, it could be a 1 or 2 hour affair,not sure.
    Eh....I'll see yis there.

If that is by a Nigerian lady,then I have already heard it, its a repeat.

Very interesting actually.... hardly for NYD though I would have thought.

• Advertisement

If that is by a Nigerian lady,then I have already heard it, its a repeat.

Very interesting actually.... hardly for NYD though I would have thought.
    Yes thats the one,surely not a repeat though,rte wouldn't stoop so low as to bla bla bla.....etc

Should we start this thread again.

I'll start it up around March 15th or so when all the first teamers head off TOGETHER on another extended break.

The Business was on this morning with the normally very good John Murray.

He had gathered some people to discuss the year past, including Shane Ross of the Sindo and Senate fame, but it wasnt yer average review, they did it by playing Monopoly. What a dull half hour that was!

And Rachel English covering for Marian, but no complaints on that substitution. Ms. English deserves a daytime slot.

Marian obviously has to do things in SA.

Two days in the weekend are to much for her it would appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Marian obviously has to do things in SA.

Two days in the weekend are to much for her it would appear.
    She spends the other five days a week coughing her guts out - silly woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat Kenny is on air but on an OB beano with lots of "music and entertainment"

Its not like "Today With..." has'nt got proper news and current affairs to discuss right now, what with Bhuttos assisination, Berties tax complience or otherwise etc.

Mike.

Pre-Recorded me suspects.

I wouldn't know, I'm listening to Brenno O'Brien on Newstalk, all live and interactive this am as far as I can deduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep. Hats off for that much at least (not a fan of O'Brien)

Mike.

My ears bled tonight when I tuned into newstalk only to hear senator David Norris having a party with a few of his friends.He enjoyed himself immensly.
    I'm happy to say that the guy who does that skit on ryans show,impersonating people,has norris down to a tee,Oh yes.

• Advertisement

Needless to say no reply to my e-mail to Anne Leddy other than the computer generated acknowledgment, as I predicted.

Looks like Duffy has negotiated "teachers hours" as Damien is doing Liveline today.

Oh dear,of course another license fee increase slipped in nicely under the radar.

Just listening to liveline and looks like the TV crowd got just as big a slating as the radio.
    Not wishing to go off topic but the core points were the same,The Xmas/New Year period is a very important time for listeners and viewers.

Now a certain age group will not be interested but there is still a majority of people who do listen and watch and RTE,in my honest opinion are treating them shoddily.
    I did not watch any tv at new years eve(too pished)but these punters out in Montrose,are getting paid way over the average of people who have to work over the holiday period,and will sooner or later have to realise that,like transport/gardai/hospitals/and many others their industry involves duty over holiday periods and if they don't like that-there's the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Almost a year ago to the day, I too wrote to RTE pointing out the very same treatment dished out to us the fee paying public over the Christmas period.
    I particularly mentioned the extraordinary salaries paid to the likes of Kenny & Ryan (remember RTE with a listenership of that of a regional town in the UK) only to be told that they Ryan & Kenny were men of immense talent and TRE were lucky to have them - Say no more.

Just listening to liveline and looks like the TV crowd got just as big a slating as the radio.

Pardon my ears, but weren't they were just focusing on Celebrity Jigs and Reels on New Years Eve on Liveline today? It was a shed of a show, yes, I've long given up hope for RTÉ on New Years. Thats TV they were complaining about.

It might be down to the lack of a nations focus point for NYE. London has Big Ben; Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Sydney has Harbour Bridge etc. Some people say Christchurch cathedral's bells is where Dublin rings in the new, but thats another point for another day.

Yes it was Jigs & Reels they were griping about,I should have made that clearer.

I didn't see it, but hesu christi, if you were looking for the archetypal "C"list "celebrities" they were on that show, from what I gathered from the radio.

Damien O'Reilly was playing the RTE card of course,no problem there,but several times he asked "Well what should RTE do for the holiday period"

I said to myself," Shut fckin down,at least we would know where we stood then"

Ok I'll admit it ,I shouted at the radio at work:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I said to myself," Shut fckin down,at least we would know where we stood then"

Ok I'll admit it ,I shouted at the radio at work:o:o:o

Can you imagine the whinging there would be if they shut down considering what happens when they take their annual leave.

I wish to express my utter disappointment with your Radio 1 schedule
    on the 26th and 27th of December.
    To foist the listeners with over four hours of Ronan Collins and horse
    racing at a peak time for radio,to me
    smacks of arrogance and laziness and a "sure anything will do them"
    attitude,at this time of the year.
    The absolute banality of that schedule is incredible,and is something
    I,as a license payer,resent totally.
    As a public service broadcaster,and usually a good one,it never ceases
    to amaze me how RTE succumb
    to vested interests and "tradition" over the Christmas period.
    I fully realise that this e-mail will make no difference, and probably
    only generate an automatic reply,which is "par for the course" in RTE
    customer feedback parlance, but for the record I spent a lot of my
    listening time over this period tuned into Newstalk.

I will stay on that frequency unless RTE finally wake up and realise
    that listeners are possible more important
    than the terms and conditions worked out by the over cosseted people
    in your establishment,and you stop
    treating license payers as morons who will take any old rubbish you throw out.

Copy of letter sent to Anne Leddy RTE Radio

Now as we approach mid term break(for schools:D) I can advise you of the reply I got from RTE from my e-mail.

ZERO_ZILCH_NADA_NULL... fcuk all in fact, not that I was surprised mind, as the national Broadcaster seems to think the great unwashed license payer has no input into their affairs.

Anaway:D Which teacher is off for the school holidays?

Well Collins is gone for a start, and good fcukkin riddance,wish that bland fcuker would piss off and get a bit of steel into the 1200-1300 slot.

Aaah must be Easter and all the "teachers" are gone again.

Kenny... Milo Dungan standing in( watch out for the number of milatery items in this weeks programmes)

Duffy.... Dayo standing in and turning like a dog chasing its tail trying not to offend anyone.

Big Ger...Some lady with a Canuck accent standing in... have heard worse.

Will be interesting to see if Sean O'Rourke is doing the news at one???

Keelan Shanley did Drivetime all last week I think.

How do we get those crunts to earn their dosh.????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Aaah must be Easter and all the "teachers" are gone again.

Kenny... Milo Dungan standing in( watch out for the number of milatery items in this weeks programmes)

Duffy.... Dayo standing in and turning like a dog chasing its tail trying not to offend anyone.

Big Ger...Some lady with a Canuck accent standing in... have heard worse.

Will be interesting to see if Sean O'Rourke is doing the news at one???

Keelan Shanley did Drivetime all last week I think.

How do we get those crunts to earn their dosh.????

It's Jenny Huston who is standing in for Gerry Ryan. She has a hot voice, and she's not bad looking either. (I'm a straight female but I'd do her!) I haven't been listening that much but I hope she isn't doing the regular Gerry Ryan type show. She's more suited to playing/talking about music. (That's not a bad thing!)

I did listen to her last Friday and she was talking about covers of songs and it was really interesting.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a requirement for at least 1 Irish-Canadian presenter on a national radio station. Which in some cases (see above) is not a bad thing at all.

Advertisement