Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Juggling Forum Charter - *Importante*

• 20-03-2005 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

So we finally got it done. How cool is this?!

Right so, being a juggling forum you can’t talk about just anything.

Juggling is defined as:-

v. jug·gled, jug·gling, jug·gles
    v. tr.
    1) To keep (two or more objects) in the air at one time by alternately tossing
    and catching them.
    2) To have difficulty holding; balance insecurely: juggled the ball but finally
    caught it; shook hands while juggling a cookie and a teacup.
    3) To keep (more than two activities, for example) in motion or progress at
    one time: managed to juggle a full-time job and homemaking.
    4) To manipulate in order to deceive: juggle figures in a ledger.

v. intr.
    1) To juggle objects or perform other tricks of manual dexterity.
    2) To make rapid motions or manipulations: juggled with the controls on
    the television to improve the picture.
    3) To use trickery; practice deception.

n.
    1) The act of juggling.
    2) Trickery for a dishonest end.

My favourite definition of juggling is:-

The propagation of mirth, frivolity, and jocularity, by way of
    inane jokes, stupefying feats of balance, and the always astounding,
    occasionally hazardous, art of airborne, multi-object manipulation.

However, juggling on this forum will constitute:-
    Ball Juggling
    Club Juggling
    Contact Juggling
    Ring Juggling
    Knife Juggling
    Cigar Box Juggling

And juggling derivatives…
    Poi
    Diabolo
    Devil Sticks
    Plate Spinning

And because they’re related…
    Yo-Yo-ing
    Hacky Sack
    Unicycling
    Rola Bola

(Plus, all of the above lit on fire) :D

Also feel free to discuss books, DVDs, videos, shops, etc. on these subjects.

Now for the Laws Of The Land.

1. Flamewars
    No I am not talking about competitive fire juggling, I am speaking of a much more dangerous activity: When two users get into an ego driven War Of The Words. Please do not insult people too much. If someone starts insulting you just ignore them. I'll probably penalise them anyway but I'll penalise you too if you promote the flaming through participation.

2. Stay On Topic
    Of course general veering off is perfectly fine but try to make an effort here. I won't lock off topic threads. I'll give a warning and if the thread continues off topic or goes off topic again I will then be forced to lock it.

3. Newbie Bashing
    We all know this one is wrong. Do not insult people for thier naivety whether it be naivety on boards.ie or just the area of juggling. Repeat offenders will be sentenced.

4. Reporting threads
    If you feel a thread on this forum should be examined by me you may report the thread. Warning: Do not abuse this function.

5. Advertising
    Just in case it happens, if you are a business and want to advertise your juggling products that is fine but you must do it officially through the Administrators and pay for the service. ANY UNOFFICIAL ADVERTISING BY COMPANIES USING THREADS IS NOT PERMITTED AND WILL BE DELETED.
    Well I think that covers it. I'd just like to say that I'm very excited about this and we should try our best to make the most out of this forum by telling everyone we know about it and being active.

SPREAD THE JUGGLE!

Edit: You must be juggling at least 2 balls while typing a post in this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

goodness gracious, you forgot contact juggling:O

I am so happy this actually happened, thanks for the rules, i agree with them all, juggle on my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Call_Me,Stan

What about Balloon modelling?!?

Doesn't that deserve a place here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Eh, no sorry. It's just too different. I know you could say it falls under the skillful manipulation of an object but lets be honest, it's signifigantly different from say yo-yo-ing.

If you want to make a thread on it I'll allow it though, just beacause I'm sure someone here would like to add it to their repertoire. I won't put it in the charter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Can we make it part of the charter that you have to be juggling two balls in one hand while typing with the other while posting?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well at least two! i have tried this and it's hard :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Can we make it part of the charter that you have to be juggling two balls in one hand while typing with the other while posting?

You really want people to starr doing that don't you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

I had no idea juggling was so popular (yes I know, Im probably totally out of touch)

Is this the type of thing ppl take up as a hobbie or are you a naturally skilled juggler?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

when most people start they are terrible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Well that really cleared it up for me, Tar:P

Have you jugglers been jugglin long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Yeah, when your just starting out it can be a bit hard to get into the swing of things, once maybe you've mastered 3 balls or something there abouts it gradually gets a little bit easier. Though I don't think I'll ever be able to do some of the tricks I see people do!

• Advertisement

Tell me about it. It took me three months (very long for you non jugglers) of constant practice to be able to do three balls.

Tell me about it. It took me three months (very long for you non jugglers) of constant practice to be able to do three balls.
    woah dude! and now you are goin for nine...effort i guess! :)
    i could naturally do three lol and my friend could naturally do 3,sticks and sticks on fire lol the rest of the ppl there were terrible! but i have never juggled much and want to start :) maybe nuig club can help me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yey! emmet, it took you that long. i'd say i took a good while to learn too, though, maybe not that long! and there was me feeling bad when jamie said ANYONE can learn to juggle in 10 minutes... ugh!

hmm. i'd say i've been juggling for 4 years or so. started with the simple diablo :) still can't do anything fancy with it! just throw and catch, and a bad attempt at a trick...

ooo i love messing with those things !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 monsieur bob

im a newbie to boards so go easy on me,has anybody got any tips for five ball juggling? ive been trying for the past few weeks on and off but to no avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NiallKelly

Hi,

You could try doing the 3 ball chase, where you start with three balls in your right hand and throw them all to your left, so that by the time you start throwing them back from your left, all three balls should have been thrown from your right.

Once you can do that you can add an extra ball so that you're doing 5 with a hole.

With four balls you could practice the siteswap 5551, and flashing the 4 to cross at the height of 5.

When learning 5 itself most people need to relax, slow down their throwing, and throw a little higher - there only needs to be 3 in the air at a time. Try and keep the balls thrown at the same height.

It can take months to learn 5, so don't give up! Check out the following sites if you haven't seen them yet - www.jugglingdb.com, and juggling.org . They've loads of articles on practice technique and different tricks.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jivet

Niall makes a good point but dont forget to try with clubs as well. Most people find the 5 club cascade easier than learning with balls as unlike balls, clubs have handles! This allows them to be cought easier. Also dont bother with 4 clubs, 4 is divisible by 2 and its well known that prime numbers like 5 are much easier to juggle. Thats why nobody has ever juggled nine!
    Back to five, if your finding the cascade difficult try the siteswap 97531757515, as it helps you "lock into" the rythm of five objects. And remember that ideally the five ball cascade should all occur just below eyeline with your hands as wide apart as possible. Hope that helps!

Talk about pulling advice out your arse

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hi there. In a lot of Juggling societies, they also partake in the act of Rubik's cube solving. Would it be possible to discuss that here, or is there something I've missed. I've looked around the fora, but haven't found any where...

Tbh I don't think many people most here any more but I do rubiks so can discuss if you want

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yesem I had noticed it was a little dead around here... I'll make a thread outside there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 -idioteque

What about poi? I think it falls under the juggling banner?

Everybody loves poi, right? :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i certainly do :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Davemcfar

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get a contact juggler ?

Thanks, Dave

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hi Dave,

I'm a contact juggler based in Ireland. drop me a PM if you need anything

Mark

Advertisement