Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

em_cat wrote: »
    Have a look around your area, if you can see other properties that have same, then look on coco site and see if observations/ appeals have been lodged then, you may get a better idea. ABP takes into account precedent far better than local coco, IMO. Many people don’t understand overlooking and overshadowing properly and will apply it incorrectly in their observations and leaving it up to local coco planners, unfortunately, is our only option.

Thanks. There are a few on the road so finger's crossed. I will look at any observations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I think I posted once here before at the time my planning permission was refused but I've a slightly different query, I'd appreciate any responses.

As I said above pp was refused (An Bord Pleanála / had been granted by cc) due to a flood risk issue.

I'm just wondering is there anything I can put on the site without planning permission (e.g a caravan / yurt??)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm just wondering is there anything I can put on the site without planning permission (e.g a caravan / yurt??)

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭I see sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no

Fair enough, thanks. It'll be left idle so.

Fair enough, thanks. It'll be left idle so.

if its a flood risk area, then rightly so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JimmyMW wrote: »
    If the dormer is at the back is planning required?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weshtawake

I have recently bought a second hand bungalow which has a small porch at the front of it. I would like to make this porch a little bigger - not too much but sufficient to put a table, couple of chairs and use as a small reading room.
    Do I need PP for this or what are the criteria for exemption??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

weshtawake wrote: »
    I have recently bought a second hand bungalow which has a small porch at the front of it. I would like to make this porch a little bigger - not too much but sufficient to put a table, couple of chairs and use as a small reading room.
    Do I need PP for this or what are the criteria for exemption??
    2 sq. meters max is the size allowed without PP. subject to a couple of conditions. From your description re table and chairs Id say you require PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HappyCamper1

Hi guys, I have been looking at a site which is for sale but was granted planning in 2005. There is a raft foundation there and nothing else but I have been told its very difficult to get planning on a site where that planning has expired. Any thoughts please?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

don’t pay market value for the site. You should subtract the cost of removal and disposal of the concrete base and foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Hi guys, I have been looking at a site which is for sale but was granted planning in 2005. There is a raft foundation there and nothing else but I have been told its very difficult to get planning on a site where that planning has expired. Any thoughts please?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Hi lads, planning was approved for me but in the small print it says I have to make a 5.5k development contribution to the planning authority. Is this standard? My architect never mentioned this to me so I was a bit surprised. Thanks.

Hi lads, planning was approved for me but in the small print it says I have to make a 5.5k development contribution to the planning authority. Is this standard? My architect never mentioned this to me so I was a bit surprised. Thanks.
    Standard across the board no matter where you are. Log into your local council's website and search for "development contribution scheme". It will outline a list of charges applicable to your proposal.

This scheme runs in every local authority area but the amounts do vary from county to county.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Hi All,

I've recently bought a house. It's a semi-d in Dublin in a fairly populated area.

I want to build a dormer window on my attic. It's 5m in width. I've shown my neighbour (to the right that I share a roof with) my plans but he wants to object for two reasons

1. Aesthetics (he's less concerned about but there is precedence on the road)
    2. Privacy - says will will be able to see into his garden. (I can clearly see into his garden now from my upstairs)

Do you think he can successfully object - any experience? I really can't afford any delays and i'm wondering is it worth it. The architect says I need the dormer for the height and the stairs. no dormer means no attic conversion.

Thanks

You're well within your rights to apply, he can make his 'observation' for 20 euro, the decision will be made and the planners must have dealt with hundreds of these where the obvious answer is 'sure they are overlooked from the 2nd floor anyway'. I wouldn't worry about it. Of course it is worth applying. Fingers crossed for you.

PS observations can also be made to support an application. Would any of the other neighbours be happy to oblige?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

As Muffler said above and it's one thing you cannot appeal to ABP, only if they were applied incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HappyCamper1

@BryanF do you think that foundation would be useless after that length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I doubt it was in small print seeing as its generally a condition.

muffler wrote: »
    Standard across the board no matter where you are. Log into your local council's website and search for "development contribution scheme". It will outline a list of charges applicable to your proposal.

This scheme runs in every local authority area but the amounts do vary from county to county.
    rayjdav wrote: »
    As Muffler said above and it's one thing you cannot appeal to ABP, only if they were applied incorrectly

Thanks lads. It's €5,500 even thought the extension is only 15m squared. The price for my area is €92 per square meter so is this a mistake or are other charges factored into the entire charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Thanks lads. It's €5,500 even thought the extension is only 15m squared. The price for my area is €92 per square meter so is this a mistake or are other charges factored into the entire charge?

The first 40m2 of development is exempt, so there must be some info missing here? Was house previously extended?

maxsmum wrote: »
    The first 40m2 of development is exempt, so there must be some info missing here? Was house previously extended?

Yes there is an existing extension on the ground floor and I am building a 15m extension on top of that on the first floor.

• Advertisement

On that basis your contribution should be €1380. Have you looked through all aspects of the scheme? There can be several amounts payable under different headings. Of course there is always a possibility of the planner having made a mistake. Have a look at your online planning application particularly the planner's report which should be available and it would normally illustrate the basis of determination of contributions.

maxsmum wrote: »
    The first 40m2 of development is exempt
    I think that may be down to location. As I posted earlier each LA have their own rates of contributions and conditions applicable to various developments. As far as Im aware of some LAs charge for domestic extensions and others dont. For example here in Donegal there are no contributions payable in respect of any domestic extension regardless of size.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

@BryanF do you think that foundation would be useless after that length of time?

I doubt you’ll find anyone willing to say it’s up to scratch.

1. Also waste pop-ups locations will hardly suit.
    2. insulation definitely won’t meet current standards.
    3. rads or ufh to consider.
    4. is it a high radon area?
    5. How’s the water table?
    6. Structurally, how sound is everything to build on to off?

Banged up in the boom?
    10-15 years ago?
    In the elements ever since?
    Water/moisture with the Freeze thaw if an Irish winter..

Best of luck

Hi lads, my architect misspelt my name in the planning application. Is this likely to cause any issues in future? He said it won't as planning permission is more related to the property than the owner but I just want to make sure in case it causes a problem 10 years down the road. Thanks.

Hi lads, my architect misspelt my name in the planning application. Is this likely to cause any issues in future? He said it won't as planning permission is more related to the property than the owner but I just want to make sure in case it causes a problem 10 years down the road. Thanks.
    Wouldnt make any difference unless the application was for a house in a rural setting. Im assuming the application is the same one you mentioned earlier which was for an extension?

muffler wrote: »
    Wouldnt make any difference unless the application was for a house in a rural setting. Im assuming the application is the same one you mentioned earlier which was for an extension?

Yes it's the same one, thanks very much!

Yes there is an existing extension on the ground floor and I am building a 15m extension on top of that on the first floor.

Any element of the application a retention?

If you want to PM me the reference number I’ll take a look.

The contribution is for the extension and the change of use area. You have to add both together. Not just for the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Looking for some advice. Planning application has gone ahead for a site directly across from my home (South Dublin) for 3 separate apartment blocks, ranging from 4-5 stories in height. This will affect the front of our house receiving any natural light in the day, directly overlooking both bedrooms etc.

There is also the issue of parking - the application states there will only be 40-50 parking spaces made available for the building but there will be over 80 apartments, so our road will also have to deal with this..

Firs time having to deal with something like this so not sure the most effective route to take, any advice on who to contact for help will be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. Planning application has gone ahead for a site directly across from my home (South Dublin) for 3 separate apartment blocks, ranging from 4-5 stories in height. This will affect the front of our house receiving any natural light in the day, directly overlooking both bedrooms etc.

There is also the issue of parking - the application states there will only be 40-50 parking spaces made available for the building but there will be over 80 apartments, so our road will also have to deal with this..

Firs time having to deal with something like this so not sure the most effective route to take, any advice on who to contact for help will be greatly appreciated.

Just a couple of initial points

1. if the site is across a public road, and is 4 / 5 storeys high.. there may not actually be a case for loss of light. You can actually have measurements in accordance with BR 209 carried out by a competent professional to assess loss of light.

2. "overlooking bedrooms" is dependent on separation distances between offending windows. The vast majority of urban housing has opposite bedroom windows facing each other. In general 22 meters between windows is considered minimum, but that can be reduced depending on the situation.

3. Zoning. If this land is zoned for multi-storey residential development that the council, in principle, WANT multi-storey residential buildings there.

4. parking and cars. The requirement for parking depends on the area, proximity to public transport etc. 80 spaces for approx 50 apartments sounds about right. As part of the application the applicant will do/ should have to do a Traffic Impact Assessment which will assess the approaching and access roads to see if they can accommodate this proposed development. However again, if the council have zoned the land for housing, then in principle they havent considered any significant access issue. The application may include some access alteration as well.

if you feel strongly about the application and want to make a submission which will carry any weight, you should engage a planning professional. if your neighbours feel the same you can organise yourselves as a group to engage these services.

Advertisement