Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Watch

• 10-10-2020 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find the initial thread.

First clips for The Watch.

I actually like the look of The Patrician (Blah blah blah Gender Swap. Don't care). And liked the initial reveal of Death. But the rest?

OK, I'm not gone on the rest of the crew because they ara all so young but that's just me being an old fart and I must remember, these are new recruits so they would be young. They are very (too) pretty though.

No, for me, the biggest issue is why is Grimes so manic? I actually liked the initial photos of him. Thought he looked suitably gruff. Obviously aged down from the books but still looked good.

But in action? Why so manic?

So, I will give it a look but first impressions for me are not good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hmmm, is that black actress went to be his eventual wife then? If so, that's quite different seeming in personality from the books. Would've thought Mark Strong would be excellent as Vetinari, have to see how this actress does.

Agree with you on the manic feel. Would not have pictured Sam Grimes in fashion. Quite the opposite.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pratchett, for me, don't work on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

On the one hand it's a different medium and format. I am trying to be more tolerant of changes from the author's vision when it comes to TV & movie adaptations (case in point: for me GOT was superior on TV - it's a pity they only made 7 seasons).

On the other hand, it seems like the characters here are completely different personality, and the tone is very different from the books. This doesn't look like our Sam Vimes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Trojan wrote: »
    On the one hand it's a different medium and format. I am trying to be more tolerant of changes from the author's vision when it comes to TV & movie adaptations (case in point: for me GOT was superior on TV - it's a pity they only made 7 seasons).

On the other hand, it seems like the characters here are completely different personality, and the tone is very different from the books. This doesn't look like our Sam Vimes.

Cheery is nearly as tall as Carrot from that trailer >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2 edvinsheperd9

On the other hand, it seems like the characters like best toughest watches here are completely different personality at Expert Watchman, and the tone is very different from the books. This doesn't look like our Sam Vimes.

yes you are saying right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not even going to try to be tolerant; this is simply outright dross and everything I've read from the show makers only confirms that they are clueless. Yes it's suppose to be "alternate universe" as the excuse. All they have done is take good source material, run it through a woke tenderizer (they bring it up themselves in their interview) and failing to realize they had one of the best pro feminist writers in there and butchered the source material. What we end up with is young girl with old dude? Check. Ignore the gender question of dwarfs? Check. Ageism on actors by replacing them all with young once? Check. Body shaming by going for thin instead of plump? Check. Ignoring the daughter of Pratchett? Check.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

In no way a big TP fan but I enjoy reading his books. But this TV show looks awful before it's even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trying to watch this and I think it's a bit too far out there for me - even tho it seems a toned down version of what I know of Pratchetts's works

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Done after one episode.

IMO the most damning thing is that it didn't make us laugh. From the Pratchett fan's perspective, the characters and setting are totally and utterly wrong, even giving them some leeway. From the newbies perspective it all seemed forced.

Did the BBC bring in the saboteurs responsible for Game of Thrones Season 8 to produce it? Because that's the last time I saw just how badly screwed up a TV show can get. What's incredible is how many people had to say Yes to get this garbage on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I gave it a go but it's not for me.

Agree with the comment above, Pratchett doesn't translate well to tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Ramasun wrote: »
    I gave it a go but it's not for me.

Agree with the comment above, Pratchett doesn't translate well to tv.

I think Pratchett can translate to TV. But when you look at the cast of this trainwreck, the actors just don't in any way resemble Pratchett's characters, so the show can't possibly be a decent reflection of the book. You lose out on some of the situational humour.

Advertisement