Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Memory full on Samsung S6

• 26-10-2020 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for the ridiculous question (please keep in mind i went straight from a nokia to samsung 5yrs ago)

Reminders flashing up that memory is dangerously full, is there any easy way to rectify without having to go back and delete individual photos etc?

Comments

heldel00 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for the ridiculous question (please keep in mind i went straight from a nokia to samsung 5yrs ago)

Reminders flashing up that memory is dangerously full, is there any easy way to rectify without having to go back and delete individual photos etc?

There's a few ways you could do it.

If you go Settings > Device Maintenance, it will analyse your device. If you click on Fix Now, a bunch of unneeded stuff will be deleted from your device. You can click into the storage option instead of clicking on Fix Now to see exactly what will be deleted, then click on Clean Now.

Another option is to install Google Photos, back up all photos to the free unlimited storage option, then it will give you an option to clear up storage space by deleting all backed up photos from your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

heldel00 wrote: »

Check what's taking up the space.

Settings->Device Care->Storage->Advanced

If it's pictures taking up all the space check google photos is backing them up and in Google photos click your profile up the top right and choose Free up space.

Also check your downloads folder. If you never empty/delete things then it will have filled up with obsolete files you don't need anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭del roy

Basil3
    I wonder can you help with this, I have a samsung galaxy j3 6.

i bought a 64 sd card for extra memory but don't know how to transfer the apps to the sd card.

can you help.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

I had this problem with a S6, no room for new apps etc. I think they just have small memory space compared to modern versions and maybe OS updates which take up more space than the standard install makes the problem worse.

New phone time is my opinion.

Or else try factory reset in addition to the steps above, but to be honest I dont think they will help as I'm sure you've already been through it.

del roy wrote: »
    Basil3
    I wonder can you help with this, I have a samsung galaxy j3 6.

i bought a 64 sd card for extra memory but don't know how to transfer the apps to the sd card.

can you help.

thanks

I'm not 100% familiar with this model, but usually you can go Settings > Apps > Application Manager (or something similar), then click on an app and there should be a storage option where you can move to SD card. A lot of apps can't be moved, though.

DopeTech would probably be more help, I'd just have to Google it.

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    I had this problem with a S6, no room for new apps etc. I think they just have small memory space compared to modern versions and maybe OS updates which take up more space than the standard install makes the problem worse.

New phone time is my opinion.

Or else try factory reset in addition to the steps above, but to be honest I dont think they will help as I'm sure you've already been through it.

I have an old S6 Edge+ with 32GB storage that I use for testing apps, and it's still usable as a phone with that amount of storage, although not ideal. Battery life is brutal, though.

cheers lads
    the move to sd card is not highlighted in the app manager.

:mad:

They removed that option in newer versions of Android as far as I know. From past experiences it never worked all that well.

If it's still an option on your phone you would need to go to settings -storage-format sd card as internal storage. Then either do the move to sd card option or uninstall and reinstall.

What capacity is the phone? 32gb, 64gb etc?

DopeTech wrote: »
    They removed that option in newer versions of Android as far as I know. From past experiences it never worked all that well.

If it's still an option on your phone you would need to go to settings -storage-format sd card as internal storage. Then either do the move to sd card option or uninstall and reinstall.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't really recommend going the adoptable storage route, even if it is an option. Have had plenty of micro SD's fail over the years, it wouldn't be pretty.

I guess trying to get as much media to the SD card as possible is the best option.

eh you are talking to an tech idiot here, don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Did you try a cache cleaner you get them in the play store you might get some memory back ,or try to root your phone

robbie67 wrote: »
    Did you try a cache cleaner you get them in the play store you might get some memory back ,or try to root your phone

I am full, I will have to delete something to put that on my phone and I need everything on it atm

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't really recommend going the adoptable storage route, even if it is an option. Have had plenty of micro SD's fail over the years, it wouldn't be pretty.

I guess trying to get as much media to the SD card as possible is the best option.

Yeah it's fine for storing movies etc but really in 2020 everyone should have most stuff backed up to the cloud. If you backup use Gogle Photos & Google Drive then it also makes switching phones a hell of a lot easier.

total space 8 g

I am full, I will have to delete something to put that on my phone and I need everything on it atm

Clear the cache on apps like spotify, tiktok, facebook if you have them. These type of apps can grow massive in size fairly quickly.

What capacity is the phone ? What is filling up the storage? Is it all just applications or is it something else?

total space 8 g

Wow. No wonder it's full so. If you can afford it I'd try and buy a new phone. You can get a good midranger for around the €200 mark that would do you years.

only Facebook and mainly bookmaker sites, 4 of them

to be honest, money or new phone not the issue, I am so used to this, my hot spot and everything I am used to is on it.

only Facebook and mainly bookmaker sites, 4 of them

Try uninstalling facebook and see how much it frees up. You can always reinstall it. Nothing will be lost from it.

to be honest, money or new phone not the issue, I am so used to this, my hot spot and everything I am used to is on it.

If you stick with another samsung then the new phone should feel very familiar. Hopspot is available on any phone.

• Advertisement

Try uninstalling facebook and see how much it frees up. You can always reinstall it. Nothing will be lost from it.

Yes I will try that, fecking sick of it anyway.

Thanks alot lads, I will probably have to bite the bullet and get a new phone however learning everything about a new phone is a right pain in the arse for me. :(

Fair play to surviving with only 8GB storage. I have one with 16GB and it's almost unusable. I'd recommend getting a phone with minimum 32GB storage, it will do you for years. You don't have to spend a fortune.

you know the way you can transfer stuff by bluetooth, can I do that with a new phone, tranfer everything I have on my old one to my new one.

Something like this would last you years.

http://www.adverts.ie/21927178

Yes I will try that, fecking sick of it anyway.

Thanks alot lads, I will probably have to bite the bullet and get a new phone however learning everything about a new phone is a right pain in the arse for me. :(

If you stick with Samsung, it won't be too different to how it is on your current phone. The general setup of phones is pretty easy these days. Once you're set up, you can forget about it.

Something like this would last you years.

http://www.adverts.ie/21927178

Will look into this later today.

thanks everyone for the help.

total space 8 g

Are you sure this is the phone internal storage ? And not the sd card capacity? I had a quick search online and I don't think the Samsung Galaxy S6 came in anything smaller than 32GB capacity.

Are you sure this is the phone internal storage ? And not the sd card capacity? I had a quick search online and I don't think the Samsung Galaxy S6 came in anything smaller than 32GB capacity.

He has the J3, which does have 8gb models.

the sd card is 64g, I have decided to get a new phone.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Del roy i think I'll just do the same. Bite the bullet and get new phone.
    I'd like to continue with Pay as you go option (enough bills here every month). Can anyone recommend a Samsung model that doesn't cost the earth?
    I would mostly use phone for internet browsing, irritating people on boards with moronic questions and taking photos?

Advertisement