Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superheros that should be/should have been Killed Off like Robin in Batman

• 09-12-2019 9:42pm

Robin had had his day, and had a wonderfully violent death thanks to Joker. A beautiful death.

There are other superheros out there like Robin that could do with killing off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've said before but I remember reading a quote along the lines of
    "The only people who stay dead in comics are Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben"
    Now that's only a third true.

As for who should die, I'm trying to think who would be expendable and make an impact.
    But there was a recent big death in the DC comics when
    Alfred
    died. Though we'll see if that sticks.

I think at least 1 2814 Green Lantern could be killed to set something up. Kyle is the likely one.
    I was trying to think of one of the teams, but since they're all fairly recently rebooted, it's hard to say.

I don't read much Marvel but there are too many characters in the Spider-verse. It could be time for May to go

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Death in superhero comics isn't allowed to carry any weight because conservative writing/editing practices mean that no character with a long enough "history" can be killed off without being subsequently brought back (repeatedly). So absent any IMO unlikely combination of a writer with a strong concept and an editorial team willing to support it longterm, I don't think this will change any time soon.

That's just it. Who was the last big in-continuity death and how long did it last? Wolverine? Xavier? Are any still dead?

Well, Robin actually resurrected in the comic canon but not as Robin. A very embittered guy - Cannot find the link now, will edit this post.

Yep. He came back as Red Hood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Hate the revolving door of death for comic characters but it allows for the creation of Winter Soldier and The Return of Barry Allen. Enjoyed Under the Hood too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ridley wrote: »
    Hate the revolving door of death for comic characters but it allows for the creation of Winter Soldier and The Return of Barry Allen. Enjoyed Under the Hood too.

Yeah, but the flipside of that is that it's so common you get both jokes like "X-men come back from the dead more than Jesus" (and, rather more awkwardly, the likes of Morrison trying to bring it up in-universe with things like the eulogy for Martian Manhunter's funeral explicitly saying "and we're all hoping for a resurrection").

Like, I'm all in favour of doing something if you've got a good story for it, but I would argue strongly that almost all stories featuring a long-standing superhero comic character dying are bad, generally because they get wrenched out of the ground about five minutes after the body's finished cooling, so to speak. I mean, any given protagonist in a superhero comic from Marvel or DC knows or knows of at least one person who's come back from the dead - and in that context, readers are still expected to treat death as significant every time around. It's daft, and made worse by the all-too-often cack-handed execution (the Death of Wolverine was a particularly well-milked example of arsegravy from a writer we all know is capable of much better and thus presumably working to pretty strict editorial instructions).

All of the above is IMO, obviously, but feeds into why I have pretty much zero interest in any corporately-owned superhero comics any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Sure. If we're going by the Jason Todd example, I think that resurrection only works in comic form because it has the history in between the death and return. The adaptations fail because they don't have the emotional weight and have to explain who Jason Todd is to the audience.

I knew when my favourite superhero was coming back from the dead cause an important issue number was approaching.

Advertisement