Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OSI geohive maps not working

• 08-10-2020 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I find the OSI historic maps a very useful resource, however since yesterday the geohive page appears to require sign in with password; I cannot see any option to create an account or get a password.
    Anyone know whats happening?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not happening for me.
    maybe try clearing your cookies and your cache and see if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

not happening for me.
    maybe try clearing your cookies and your cache and see if that helps?

Tried clearing cache etc in MS Edge, but still does not work.
    But tried it in Chrome and it works OK, so thats a relief!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Was working for me yesterday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

It hasn't been working for me for some time now.

Link below is working today it seems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Are you using an old link, possibly bookmarked?

I noticed that the link I had bookmarked for Archaeology.ie's 'Historical Environment' maps had been updated and wouldn't work unless I went through the website and renewed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for highlighting this resource. I'll add this to the History forum's list of interesting links.

This link takes you to a new version of Geohive. Message reads "Welcome to the upgraded GeoHive main Map Viewer, which is currently released in Beta".

But this new version seems to be missing one very useful feature from the old version, that is the feature whereby you could overlay the historic map over the current day map and fade the layers in and out, this enabled you to see exactly how the historic feature (say a house) was located on the modern map or aerial view.

Has anyone found a way of doing this on the new Beta version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

On the old version you could provide a link to a particular layer at a particular coordinate

this kind of thing http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,608195,637324,10,4

this was useful, is there any way of doing this now?

Does not seem to be any way of doing this. If you click on symbol in bottom left hand corner of map you can get the coordinates of a point, which you can then cut and paste; but it doesn't create a link.

It is a pity that they set out to break something that was very useful for pointing to historical resources, be they aerial photos from 1995 or old map layers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I noticed this recently too. They seem to have added lots of new features but in doing so, have greatly reduced the core usefulness. Trainwreck,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's extremely well hidden in the FAQ on the Geohive site, but they've created a new portal, purely for the Historic maps here ...

https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9def898f708b47f19a8d8b7088a100c4

There's a share button there in the side menu (bottommost button) that allows you to create a link and share it via email, Facebook and twitter.

I think the reason they did this was that the full Geohive site was primarily intended for a professional GIS audience rather than the casual user and provides a lot of unneeded functionality.

Thanks for that link Alun, that's brilliant.

Having got into this new National Townland and Historical Map Viewer, it still took me about 15mins to figure out how to get a historic map layer to overlay the current day aerial photo with adjustable transparency (by trial and error). It will take me at least an hour of practicing to get the new system to work the way the old one did, which was very intuitive and user friendly.

Do they not have any "user testing" by normal people before they introduce new software?

Can you still do the adjustable transparency thing on this version? I've not found a way yet.

Yes, like I said above it was hard the first time, but OK after a few tries. First open your link above. Click icon no,1 of the set of 3 in the top RH corner to get Basemap Gallery; pick one - say Aerial Premium. Search or zoom to the location you want.

Click the Layer List icon in the top LH corner. Scroll right down to the bottom of the list of layers to find where the Historic Maps are listed. Pick the one you want - say Historic 6" 1st ed. The Historic map will now appear covering the aerial photo.

To make the aerial photo visible; in the Layer List on the left click the menu bar (3 dots) to the right of the Historic 6". A pop-up list appears. Scroll down to see the Transparency option; click on this, then drag the slider across to wherever you want, say 50%. You can now see the Historic outline over the modern aerial photo.

You can switch between different versions e.g. the 6" and 25" maps, but this is not as easy to do as on the old version, the "move up" or "move down" options don't work as I would expect.

Thanks for that, I wasn't scrolling down far enough in the layers menu to find the maps! What you can do now as well, apart from using the transparency to compare maps is to use the slider, button between the bookmark and the share buttons. Not quite as useful as changing the transparency but easier to access.

Dragging up this old thread to inquire whether anyone else is getting an ArcGIS Login page when they try to access the Historical Map Viewer recently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

working fine for me at the moment, no login prompt.

That's strange. I'm getting the screen below regardless of which browser I'm using ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Advertisement

Thanks, well spotted! The URL linked on the OSi website has the ?id=9def... on the end which I always found odd, as it looks like a session id which shouldn't normally be there, but it worked up till recently so I didn't think any more about it.

Bookmark edited, and now working :)

EDIT: Not quite ... that's just a generic map viewer, no historical maps to be seen anywhere in the Layers list. Back to the drawing board.

I've fired off a question to OSi's customer service about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I can see the historical maps using one of the buttons on the left but it doesn’t seem to have the option to overlay one map over another, at least not that I can see.

Ah, yes, you're right. I didn't look properly and was a bit confused with the MapGenie prefix to all the map names.

There's a layers menu but I can't find the maps in amongst the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes I wondered what was going on.... used it years back to great advantage. But the

https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

still seems to have just what I want and like the old OSI set up

So, I got a reply from OSi, see below ...

Many thanks for your email. New urls have come into effect this week and the site can be access here,

Looks OK on my phone, haven't tried it on my PC browser yet.

EDIT: Just tried it on the PC browser and it's working fine now!!

Post edited by Alun on

It is ridiculous that historical maps, which are unchanging by definition, should be accessed through a spaghetti url of a commercial provider which changes.

They really needs a simple structure historicalmaps.ie with a grid reference, a bit like they had before. Then keep that structure whatever commercial arrangements they make. Someone should really be able to write an electronic article with a historical map reference and it should remain operational forever.

I'm not sure who can put pressure on them to do a proper job.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,952 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i just discovered this morning that the over lay tool works in bing through that link that alun posted above

it doesnt work in chrome for some reason

FWIW, the URL i am being delivered now when i browse to it from OSI.ie is

https://webapps.geohive.ie/mapviewer/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,952 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can you get the overlay to work, through that link, in chrome?

Advertisement