Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Census numbers?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place, but does anyone know where I can see the census numbers for a specific area? I am trying to compare the number of people living in my area now, and to say 10 to 15 years ago, and I am struggling to find the info.

Any help of guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

You need to follow the Electoral Divisions - find out which ED you are in and then look for the figures from the 2002 Census for the same area:

http://census.cso.ie/censusasp/saps/boundaries/saps2002.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mechainical

Thank you very much.

Do you know if there is a break down of the townland areas?

No - as far as I know, for reasons of confidentiality, the ED is the smallest area you can get. They obviously have numbers for townlands, but since individual people could be identified in townlands with low population numbers, they don't make that level of detail available to the public.

You are thinking of population numbers, but remember the census gathers a lot more info than just 'counting heads' and so, since they take confidentiality very seriously, they don't want individuals to be identified - If you could do that, you could find out lots about people in townlands with low population numbers: let's say you know there is only one widowed lady over 70 in the townland - well, by searching in a particular way you could then find out lots more info about that particular person. For this reason, they only give info at the ED level to allow respondants to remain anonymous within a larger body of people.

That makes complete sense! Thanks for such a clear explanation, and thank you for your original post and link.

Do you think if I was to contact the CSO, they would be able to give me just the population numbers for a particular townland, or is it a waste of time?

Cheers

I've no idea to be honest! Worth a shot I suppose...;)

• Advertisement

True enough, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again

Just so you know, I got intouch with the CSO, and they were very forthcoming with the information I was looking for. Emailed me a number of spread sheets with the break down of the town lands! Result.

Thanks once again for your help.
    Cheers

That's a great result - I suppose they don't mind giving out townland population numbers if the more detailed info is kept at the ED level - fair play to them (and to yourself too!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

That's a great result - I suppose they don't mind giving out townland population numbers if the more detailed info is kept at the ED level - fair play to them (and to yourself too!):D
    Surprising - since on the standard reports they actually combine DED results in some areas if the population is too low.

Advertisement