Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polytunnel - grapes

• 14-07-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Has anyone managed to grow grapes in a polytunnel?
    Or kiwis, peaches, cherries??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve seen grapes grow on a tunnel.

The vine was planted out through the side of the tunnel outside with the main vine in and up through the tunnel supports. It produced grapes most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Yeap being growing grapes last few years though they are small. Was advised to prune them back and reduce the growth of shoots and manage the existing grapes which i am trying this year to hopefully get bigger ones this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got one in Lidl or Aldi about six years ago and after the first year settling in it has produced good crops of grapes each year. Posted a video of the first crop here. I read that planting outside where the roots can get properly cold in the winter is better as the vines do better when they know when winter is. Mine is planted so close to the edge of the tunnel I think it gets to know it is winter fairly clearly and it got some frost damage for the first time I remember earlier this year but has recovered well. I read that they crop better when kept well pruned but I have been a bit haphazard about doing it and there still has been plenty of grapes. They are Merlot which might be a bit thick skinned for eating but I think they taste nice and have to give some to the birds since I can't get round to eating them all most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a grape vine outside, I don't have a tunnel.
    It grows well but is neglected and as a consequence doesn't produce much fruit or ripen well.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I have a vine in a big pot in my conservatory. I am considering moving it to the polytunnel as it only produces a few bunches of small grapes.

• Advertisement

Has anyone managed to grow grapes in a polytunnel?
    Or kiwis, peaches, cherries??
    Thanks

Yes we've been growing grapes for over a decade now.

I say we, it's my Dad. I get called in for the harvesting and the pressing.

Advertisement