Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saplings

• 29-04-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi, I just thought that I would share these for anyone who was interested. Last year, I decided to collect some sycmoare helicopters and chesnuts near my house, put them in a pot and they've begun to grow. Potted around October, moved into these bigger pots a week or two ago. I also have two ash saplings I dug up growing. I had a few more but they died overtime. These three seem to be growing great, thankfully

My first time doing this was last summer when I saw an ash sapling sprouting some a few of our mature ash trees. In just one summer I managed to grow it to 30cm, however I made the mistake of planting it in a sheltered spot earlier in the year.. just before temperatures drop. It's not rotting or anything but sadly I feel it is dead now - while the old trees have leaves, there are none yet on that tree.

This autumn I hope to collect even more sycamore and chesnut, as well as scots pine if I can

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could also be ash dieback on the ash seedling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

could also be ash dieback on the ash seedling.
    I'm not sure, I just assumed it was killed as it was planted to early and then the ground froze. It might still be alive, too - I'm just seeing no signs for life right now. The actual ash trees I have seem to be growing away fine.

New Home wrote: »

Thank you for the ID :) It is growing extremely fast and the root is huge. I would advice anyone with access to chesnuts to pot some this autumn. Same with helicopters - just a small pot, some compost and then keep it outdoors during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am digging up and getting rid of sycamores out of my (recently purchased) garden. I have an acre with a good few trees but there is one enormous granddaddy sycamore and around 10 mature sycamores, including one big one far too close to the house. They create dark, fly ridden shade and are easily affected by unsightly, but not terminal, disease. I will have to get a tree surgeon to remove the excess ones as they are very big and some are precariously placed. The ground is covered with young sycamores. Fortunately they are easy enough to dispose of and those in grass do not survive being mowed, but they are total weeds, sprouting out of any crack or crevice or gutter or gravel around the house.

Sycamores in deciduous woodland have to be controlled or they produce thickets of vigorous saplings that crowd out everything else.

Also there are about 6 horse chestnuts. Horse chestnuts are beautiful trees that grow huge in time. Only one or at a push two of the horse chestnuts are suitably placed, the others are interfering with other trees that I would like to nurture.

While long naturalised, neither of these trees is native to Ireland. Sycamores are valuable for bees, Horse Chestnut possibly less so.

I love trees and am planting more varied young saplings, but to make room for the diversity some of the over enthusiastic trees will have to go! So sorry, OP. I do appreciate the joy of growing things, especially things as mighty and significant as trees, but do be aware that eventually you will have to do something with your saplings, and none of what you are growing is suited to urban or most suburban gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 craggel69

Have to agree with looksee here - just had a quote of €6,500 to remove 13 poplar trees from our garden. Beautiful trees to look at when fully covered with leaves and swaying in the wind - but steal all the sun light from a large portion of the garden in summer and fill it with tonnes of leaves in the autumn. Not to mention what the roots are doing to neighbouring walls and drains etc.
    These trees are fabulous in the right spot - you just need to make sure you have the right space and the willingness to deal with them as they mature.

• Advertisement

Oh definitely, my neighbour has a mature sycamore and it's nice but since we recently cleared out some dead holly, it's possible to see the area beneath it and the shade it makes is.. intense. Good for privacy but I wouldn't like one in my garden. I'm also not a huge fan of chestnut tree leaves so I don't plan on planting either in our garden (mainly because we are already full with mature ash). I also agree about the baby sycamores - they're everywhere! All over patio areas, next to drains by the shed, even the grass out the front and the tree isn't near there

The main purpose of these trees is for climate change. I'm not sure about where ye live, but down here in Cork loads of trees are either being cut down or damaged in storms and not replaced. This is leaving vast areas of empty grass space. My plan is to mature these for a few years and then donate them to tree planting organisations/residents associations/councils/parks, etc. In my own park, there are a lot of trees but a lot of empty grass space too, especially near a national road. I want to one day plant them near there to absorb the CO2 and act as shade. That's also the reason why next year I hope to expand to pine too and if I can, birch. Get something more urban friendly

It's been a month since I started this thread and there has been really great growth in the saplings - looking back at this thread, it's hard to believe it has been such a short space of time. Also, the ash sapling I mentioned has flourished, full set of leaves and growing a bit bigger everyday. I have already told the residents association that I will donate them to them (and plant them for them) on two green areas that are lacking in trees (and the ones that are there are mountain ash and cherry - not exactly huge, especially compared to how big the greens are). I'm hoping next summer might be a good time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that ash seems to be planted very close to a driveway or path? it'll put on a couple of foot a year, so the sort of tree you don't want near any hard landscaping really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm lost.
    Your purpose is combating climate change, yet there's no way you'd have them growing on your own property so you'd rather foist them (and your ideals) on others?
    If you'd left the seeds where they were they'd have grown anyway.

I'm lost.
    Your purpose is combating climate change, yet there's no way you'd have them growing on your own property so you'd rather foist them (and your ideals) on others?
    Um.. what? I would absolutely love to plant them on my property, but it's currently full with seven or so mature ash trees and even more mature holly trees. Plus a mature birch tree, that new ash and a young Prunus Nigra. If I could plant more I would in a heartbeat - there is nowhere to put them. There is simply no more space. And "foist"? Because I'm offering to give grown trees for free to groups that are looking for trees? Why do you seem so annoyed by this? The residents association, for example, stated that they want to plant more and replace trees that fell/were badly injured and have since died after Storm Ophelia. However, money is tight and they could only afford a handful of semi mature trees (two of which were snapped in half by someone and they had to be replaced by a young chestnut tree). When I offered these trees to them they were delighted - again, I'm giving them for free. Not forcing them on anyone. CorkTrees on Twitter had a sapling they had grown for a while last year or so and offered it for free online - a city centre group were delighted to take it off their hands as they had lost that same type of tree after Ophelia as well. I think you're lost because you either didn't read what I wrote properly or else you read it with a determined opinion before even finishing it. I'm failing to see how growing trees and giving them away for free to people who want them but otherwise wouldn't have been able to get them is bad

As for leaving the seeds where they were. Considering a couple hundred or so sycamore helicopters fall into my garden in areas where they would most definitely not have grown (either as it was bricked or it was under ash trees where they wouldn't have survived), I have no issue with taking them, potting them and ensuring they do grow and be grown elsewhere. Same with the chestnuts - I collected them on the grounds of a hotel where they would not have been let grow - most people go there to take the chestnuts and turn them into conkers. I'm taking them to allow they grow. What is your issue?

• Advertisement

depends on where they were found, though? i'm constantly yanking up ash seedlings in the garden, if a local residents association wanted them for a green area i'd be happy to pass them along.

that ash seems to be planted very close to a driveway or path? it'll put on a couple of foot a year, so the sort of tree you don't want near any hard landscaping really.
    I think my camera makes the area look a lot smaller than it is, unless you mean in terms of height. Each footpath green strip is planted with a large variety of trees, some 2m tall, some 5m+, some taller again. Including many ash which have been there for ~20 years. None of them seem to have any issue with cracking footpaths, paving or raising the surface of the paths due to roots. The only issues I have seen are the cherry trees - they always seem to crack the footpath or push it up because of the roots. Not many of them are left as they've been cut down over the years for those reasons. I have attached a few photos of what I'm talking about - one I didn't get a chance to get a picture of is planted right next to the footpath line, next to two mature birch trees, and no cracking. Granted - it isn't guaranteed this won't go the same path as the cherries, but I'll be sure to continue watching :)

* the first one ends "side by side)"

the previous owner of my house planted a eucalpytus two foot from the driveway. so now i'm going to have to spend several K replacing the driveway.
    to be fair, i probably would have done so anyway, just a couple of years later.

No, I definitely think it's a valid concern, I just think they should be okay (at least judging it in person) where they are. I wonder if maybe the roots adjust too to their situation. For example, there is a row of Crimson Norway Maples near me on a similar width footpath. They have had no impact on it. However, there is one planted not far away on a green area where it has more space to grow. Although above ground the trees are the same size (actually, the ones off the green are a bit bigger), the root spread is much more visible and above ground on the green ones, where they are much more bulging. This could just be because its grass compared to concrete, but even on the grass strips I mentioned the roots aren't visible

A good example too are the London Plans planted throughout Cork and Dublin's quays. I'm sorry to hear about the eucalyptus, though. Are you going to keep the tree and just repave or move the tree/get a new one?

Um.. what? I would absolutely love to plant them on my property, but it's currently full with seven or so mature ash trees and even more mature holly trees. Plus a mature birch tree, that new ash and a young Prunus Nigra. If I could plant more I would in a heartbeat - there is nowhere to put them. There is simply no more space. And "foist"? Because I'm offering to give grown trees for free to groups that are looking for trees? Why do you seem so annoyed by this? The residents association, for example, stated that they want to plant more and replace trees that fell/were badly injured and have since died after Storm Ophelia. However, money is tight and they could only afford a handful of semi mature trees (two of which were snapped in half by someone and they had to be replaced by a young chestnut tree). When I offered these trees to them they were delighted - again, I'm giving them for free. Not forcing them on anyone. CorkTrees on Twitter had a sapling they had grown for a while last year or so and offered it for free online - a city centre group were delighted to take it off their hands as they had lost that same type of tree after Ophelia as well. I think you're lost because you either didn't read what I wrote properly or else you read it with a determined opinion before even finishing it. I'm failing to see how growing trees and giving them away for free to people who want them but otherwise wouldn't have been able to get them is bad

As for leaving the seeds where they were. Considering a couple hundred or so sycamore helicopters fall into my garden in areas where they would most definitely not have grown (either as it was bricked or it was under ash trees where they wouldn't have survived), I have no issue with taking them, potting them and ensuring they do grow and be grown elsewhere. Same with the chestnuts - I collected them on the grounds of a hotel where they would not have been let grow - most people go there to take the chestnuts and turn them into conkers. I'm taking them to allow they grow. What is your issue?

I read it perfectly well thanks.
    I have no 'issue' other than pointing out that these 'trees' are ten a penny and are basically considered to be weeds by most gardeners. They don't need any help to grow anywhere. If anyone actually wants them they won't have far to look. They are not let grow because they are a scourge in kept areas.

the tree is already gone. planted in the front garden, two foot from my driveway and one foot from the public footpath, just in the wrong place.

I read it perfectly well thanks.
    I have no 'issue' other than pointing out that these 'trees' are ten a penny and are basically considered to be weeds by most gardeners. They don't need any help to grow anywhere. If anyone actually wants them they won't have far to look. They are not let grow because they are a scourge in kept areas.
    You might consider that so but the semi mature trees I mentioned that they planted last year or so were sycamore, oak and horse chesnut so clearly they want that type. As well as that, as I alluded to, part of the park is relatively close to a national road that is extremely loud. It's already densely planted next to it but probably not enough big trees, mostly bramble and scots pine. I'm sure they have no issue with these 'weeds', as they will just further fill the area, blocking the fumes and potentially noise. Also, I have no idea how any of your points relate to me wanting to help combat climate change. I also mentioned wanting to start doing pine and birch - these two were just the easiest to start with as the seeds are everywhere and you just throw them in a pot with some compost

Fair enough i will leave you to your self congratulatory exclamation of what you're doing to save the planet, which is basically what this thread is.

Fair enough i will leave you to your self congratulatory exclamation of what you're doing to save the planet, which is basically what this thread is.
    Literally not at all. I just find it exciting so thought I'd share in the hope it would encourage more to do it, especially as more and more people are realising trees are a good way to help combat climate change. I don't know why you came in here all hot and bothered to give out about.. me sharing something relevant to the forum I find interesting and thought others might be interested in too :confused: Are you as negative offline as you are online? Is this all you have to be doing on a Thursday evening?

bloody nora.
    god forbid someone should even try.
    how about some constructive criticism, rather than mean spirited spite?

• Advertisement

Another update on these for anyone who cares or is interested. They're getting really big now, either 40cm or just below :) It's nice looking back at the old photos to see how they've changed in such a short span of time. I hope I won't have to repot them as I hope to plant next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

How do councils react to guerrilla gardening in open spaces - if someone planted a load of saplings, would the be torn up by the council?

I don't plan on doing that as I have asked the residents association (who plant trees around the place too, from money from the residents) already and will again before planting. However, I don't see why they would care. I know some people in Cork did a lot of guerrilla planting last year. However, some were mown over by the council. I'm not sure if it had grown to the point where it couldn't be mowed over would they care. Either way, I think it would be smart to ask first if it's not on or directly next to your property

For anyone looking to do similar, time to start getting ready. I've already begun to collect acorns, helicopters and ash seeds. Chestnuts are beginning to form too and Ive seen some pine cones falling. sadly it seems my two sycamore saplings caught a disease and may be dead. chestnut still going strong

is it black spot on the sycamore leaves? or mildew maybe?

Mildew I think. any idea how to get rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Local tree surgeon gave me an oak and Ash his grew from seed. He doesn't have room to plant them. They only have to survive a few more years in a pot for me to plant them out in my field

Advertisement