Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay for State Written Examiners

• 13-06-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello.
    My daughter has been accepted/asked to mark Gaeilge Junior Cert Higher Level papers.
    This will last from June 25-july22.
    Does anyone know how much she will earn? No idea how many papers she will get through or is expected to mark.
    Can we expect approx. 2k for the months work?
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's really hard to say. It all depends on how many papers and her own tax arrangements.

Moving this to the main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Net? I wouldn't think so but its not my subject so unsure of her rates per script. She'll need to transfer credits if she has them to SEC or she'll be heavily taxed. Although presumably with the new tax modernisation now she won't have to wait till year end to claim overpaid tax back. Her rate per script will be written in her documentation and she'll know when she opens her packets for random sample exactly how many she has. She'll have a fair idea from marks sheets during the conference but there's a small chance some may have dropped to ordinary level so until you actually receive the scripts you won't know
    But as to 2k?
    I correct HL LC and wouldn't get that net. Albeit I've moved onto higher tax rate at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It depends on the subject, how many papers she gets, and whether or not she's already using all of her tax credits, but 2k net isn't beyond the bounds of possibility. I don't know what the rate is for Gaeilge (Irish) JCHL but when I was examiner for a JCHL subject, I used to come out with around 2k net, working full time.

Realistically though, only someone who's actually marked Gaeilge (Irish) JCHL recently would be able to give you a fairly good idea. Anyone else is just speculating.

Advertisement