Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

opentarget wrote: »
    I just picked one up from Argos. Patience was never my strongest trait, so if I was buying online I'd not have bothered.
    This is my first step into VR other than a quick go on PS vr.
    Although I do have a decent PC (i5,16gigs ram and gtx1060) it dose seem to be on the cusp of not being suitable for good performance so I didn't want to plonk down 500+ for a rift or vive.

So if I get the bug from the go I'll look ahead to planning some upgrades and get a gen 2 headset for PC.

I have to say, it's a pricey impulse purchase so late in the month ��

Get Ultrawings for €6.99 while it's on sale

Also Dreadhalls.. a nice relaxing maze game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mrcheez wrote: »
    Get Ultrawings for €6.99 while it's on sale

Also Dreadhalls.. a nice relaxing maze game :D

That's good advice. I assume I'm like a lot of people here and have never had a VR headset before. Any other suggestions for good apps that we could try out to get a feel for the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Thanks for the recommendations. Dreadhalls looks like just the ticket to get the wife onboard! :D

One Go ordered.. FINALLY!

Gonna start working on my VR tan while wearing it out in the garden.

I found Anshar Online to be a lot of fun. But you need to be able to rotate a full 360 degrees.

I sat on an office chair I have so I could spin around. Ithink if I'd been standing I would have knocked stuff over. :)

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I found Anshar Online to be a lot of fun. But you need to be able to rotate a full 360 degrees.

I sat on an office chair I have so I could spin around. Ithink if I'd been standing I would have knocked stuff over. :)

It's the Go.. you can bring to the middle of the Phoenix Park and play to your hearts content without worrying about knocking stuff over :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Looks like OTG is coming to the go, it turned up in a firmware update for the Xiaomi unit

horgan_p wrote: »
    Looks like OTG is coming to the go, it turned up in a firmware update for the Xiaomi unit

"USB On The Go" for those (like me) who have no idea what he was talking about :pac:

Got mine yesterday. Man oh man this kicks ass. Probably the most "relaxed" VR session I've had in a while... sitting on my bed (or the loo) and not tied to a PC/console.

I was well impressed with Skybox VR for watching movies. It's the little things, like the fact the cinema chairs reflect the light showing on screen, or looking to the left and right and seeing Fire Exit doors.

3D movies are outstanding on this. Watched "The Martian" while lying back on my bed and the 3D effect is as good as the cinema.

As for games, the lack of 6DOF is a bit jarring at first (i.e. leaning forward doesn't make anything come closer to you), but it's quite a minor thing and you hardly notice it after a while.

I think this will be amazing to use seated on a swivel chair for the full 360 degree experience so going to give that a go (heh) tonight.

I got the 64GB version and already filled it up to 50GB so highly recommend you don't get the 32GB version.

Just tried the Dreadhalls demo ... holy **** this is as good as the Rift version. Even better since you can turn your body 360 without fear of wires wrapping and probably the most immersive scarefest I've experienced in VR as a result!

• Advertisement

Got mine yesterday. Man oh man this kicks ass. Probably the most "relaxed" VR session I've had in a while... sitting on my bed (or the loo) and not tied to a PC/console.

I was well impressed with Skybox VR for watching movies. It's the little things, like the fact the cinema chairs reflect the light showing on screen, or looking to the left and right and seeing Fire Exit doors.

3D movies are outstanding on this. Watched "The Martian" while lying back on my bed and the 3D effect is as good as the cinema.

As for games, the lack of 6DOF is a bit jarring at first (i.e. leaning forward doesn't make anything come closer to you), but it's quite a minor thing and you hardly notice it after a while.

I think this will be amazing to use seated on a swivel chair for the full 360 degree experience so going to give that a go (heh) tonight.

I got the 64GB version and already filled it up to 50GB so highly recommend you don't get the 32GB version.

I got the 32 but I found that I can stream from my pc without any lag or quality issues.

I am finding a lack of movies to download in SBS format. I've watched Thor Ragnarok though and it looked amazing.

Grayson wrote: »
    I got the 32 but I found that I can stream from my pc without any lag or quality issues.

Yep SkyboxVR is impressive for this alright, and simple to use.

Luckily I have a Wifi card on my desktop as otherwise it wouldn't be possible to use over a wired home network, which is the only downside I can see.

The 32GB is fine, but I've uploaded a few movies on it to take "on the go" where there is no companion server to stream from, and these can be 10GB+, so my 64GB is filling up fast.

Ready Player One 3D BluRay is 43GB if you want the all singing, all dancing rip... there is a 10GB version though which is prob fine.

Somebody has found a way to install Quake on Oculus Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BQDYb_Liq0&feature=youtu.be

After my superb Quake 2 experience on Rift I'll have to give this a shot

Luckily I have a Wifi card on my desktop as otherwise it wouldn't be possible to use over a wired home network, which is the only downside I can see.

The 32GB is fine, but I've uploaded a few movies on it to take "on the go" where there is no companion server to stream from, and these can be 10GB+, so my 64GB is filling up fast.

Ready Player One 3D BluRay is 43GB if you want the all singing, all dancing rip... there is a 10GB version though which is prob fine.

With airscreen on the skybox app, I think you can store movies on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Even Carmack says that anything more than a 2gb 720p Rips is a waste of time on Rift or Go with current panel resolutions. Rip your Blurays to that size and res or....you know ;-)

Pfft someone needs to check out "certain" videos to see how small resolutions compare to the larger files. Big difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Pfft someone needs to check out "certain" videos to see how small resolutions compare to the larger files. Big difference ;)

Thats different. The res is spread over a full 180º Hemisphere

Might be different for 3D movies. I've found the smaller GB files look worse than the larger ones.

When you test are you saying the 2GB files look the same as the larger ones on your Go ?

I think that's the confusion. Some people are talking about watching a regular movie in skybox and others are talking about downloading a 360 or 180 VR movie.

let's add more confusion and throw in SBS movies :D

I'm talking about watching a 3D BluRay in Skybox. That's all I've been talking about, not standard BluRay/DVD :)

Tried a few 3GB and a few 12-15GB... 12-15GB looked much better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Don't know what I was expecting as an into to vr but I think I was expecting something better, even at this price point. Graphics in the games are a little like something from the 80s, movie and show quality are pretty horrible. Should have tested one first

zapitastas wrote: »
    Don't know what I was expecting as an into to vr but I think I was expecting something better, even at this price point. Graphics in the games are a little like something from the 80s, movie and show quality are pretty horrible. Should have tested one first

What games did you test?

Have you tried Henry (free app)? Shows off 5K quality video.

You might have been expecting monitor-quality clarity. Unfortunately VR isn't quite there yet, but the "screen door effect" is something you ignore after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh, once you get passed the graphics and let yourself become immersed in a VR world, that's when it clicks.

Ultrawings is €4.99 today.

If you own a Go you need this.

anyone try to get it working with steam VR?

I tried with this but can't get the controller working. So I end up in a room, sitting and not able to do anything.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-play-steamvr-games-oculus-go

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Loving my Go, so glad I got the 64 gig version as it's filling up fast. I'd also recommend getting it direct from Oculus and it's considerable cheaper than anywhere else I've found, plus there's free shipping too.
    There are some fantastic games and apps that I keep coming back to for a quick fix. Off the top of my head: Dead and Buried, Drop Dead, Face Your Fears, Virtual Virtual Reality, Ocean Rift, Pinball FX2, Art Plunge...)
    Alas I've learnt the hard way that I'm quite prone to motion sickness so while I love games like Ultrawings, Coaster Combat & End Space I can only 'stomach' them for short sessions but hopefully this will get better as I get my vr legs.
    The one area that I am a bit disappointed in (apart from the battery life) is the resolution when watching content either on Netflix or cinema apps like Skybox. While it's cool to be able to watch content in a vr environment the resolution on the Go is just a bit too low. I've heard people comparing it to a 120 inch 1080p tv screen and this is simply not the case as there is noticeable screen door effect even on hd rips. Hopefully Santa Cruz will provide a panel resolution upgrade along with 6dof.
    Other than that I'm loving the Go as are the rest of the family. Any recommendations for cool vr experiences?

NickTellis wrote: »
    I've heard people comparing it to a 120 inch 1080p tv screen and this is simply not the case as there is noticeable screen door effect even on hd rips.

Yeah there's a lot of denial in the VR world about this. When I first got my PSVR I swore there must be something wrong with the headset as everyone was saying it was perfectly clear.

I even went and got my eyes checked. Turns out I still have 20/20 vision (at 40 that's pretty good considering I stare at monitors all day!).

Saying that though, I hardly notice it anymore.

I downloaded a 3D rip of Pacific Rim. 26GB file, and streamed it from my PC via Skybox.

To my eyes it's intense and to all intents and purposes is clear. Not quite as clear as my TV, but clearer than some of the 1080p streams I get off Kodi, and the feeling of watching Pacific Rim in the IMAX is there.

I've tested rips at all file sizes and generally follow these guidelines to ensure best resolution...

2D rips: minimum 9GB
    3D rips: minimum 17GB (circa 25GB recommended)

The YiFy 3D rips that are 3GB in size look terrible.

and you notice the fuzziness in the peripheral of your vision more i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

I have a couple of 25 GB rips on my PC which I'll try streaming via Plex to see if that makes any difference. In fairness I haven't tried any 3D rips so I wonder if the inherent 'fuzziness' of 3D would actually help with this problem so I must try to get hold of a 25+ GB version of Ready Player One to test this out.
    I tried to watch Ready Player One in Bigscreen and while the sound was excellent the image quality was very pixelated... though I suspect this was more down to my wifi.

• Advertisement

NickTellis wrote: »
    I have a couple of 25 GB rips on my PC which I'll try streaming via Plex to see if that makes any difference. In fairness I haven't tried any 3D rips so I wonder if the inherent 'fuzziness' of 3D would actually help with this problem so I must try to get hold of a 25+ GB version of Ready Player One to test this out.
    I tried to watch Ready Player One in Bigscreen and while the sound was excellent the image quality was very pixelated... though I suspect this was more down to my wifi.

The 2D copy of Ready Player One I have is about 9GB and looks great.

Try to get hold of Pacific Rim 3D SBS at 25Gb and use that as a benchmark. I don't think Ready Player One has too much 3D for the "wow" effect, apart from the car race sections.

Also use Skybox, as it has a lot of updates recently that improve the overall experience/resolution. You just need to install Skybox on your PC as well.

Advertisement