Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Finally got around to ordering some of those Superlux cans. Will report after Christmas when I get them!

Excellent write up yim!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Hope ye don't mind me jumping in with a request but I don't see the point in starting another thread...

I've currently got a set of ATH-M50 which are great but they hurt after an hour or so wearing...big head ;)
    I use a set of Bose IE2 for when I'm in work on the laptop or when I'm listening on the go connected to the phone.

What I'm looking for is a replacement set for the ATH-M50
    What I want is:
    Noise cancellation, I'll be flying a lot with work from the new year
    Good set for gaming, surround.
    Comfortable

I'd like to keep it under 400 if possible.
    Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

lafors wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind me jumping in with a request but I don't see the point in starting another thread...

I've currently got a set of ATH-M50 which are great but they hurt after an hour or so wearing...big head ;)
    I use a set of Bose IE2 for when I'm in work on the laptop or when I'm listening on the go connected to the phone.

What I want is:
    Comfortable

Any suggestions?

Have you tried stretching the ATH-M50 out? How long have you had them? As mentioned earlier in the thread my Superlux were quite tight so I put them on a very thick book for a couple of weeks (probably only needed a few days though) & they were far more comfortable after that.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Have you tried stretching the ATH-M50 out? How long have you had them? As mentioned earlier in the thread my Superlux were quite tight so I put them on a very thick book for a couple of weeks (probably only needed a few days though) & they were far more comfortable after that.

Yep tried that. The guy I bought them from said it was the first thing I should do when I got them home, they spent nearly 2 weeks stretched on a load of books when I wasn't using them. Still tight. I wear glasses typo so they tend to pin the arms behind my ears which doesn't help.

What I want is:
    Comfortable

Any suggestions?
    This thread could be of some use :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What I want is:
    Comfortable

Any suggestions?

DT770s like reviewed at the top of this page :p

I think the dt770 fit the bill apart from the fact I'd like active noise cancellation.

I've been reading the reviews recommended....thats some page marko93!!

I think I'm down to these few....probably going to get slaughtered by the audiophiles :o

Sennheiser MM550X
    Sennheiser PCX450 (battery life might be a problem)
    Bose Quietcomfort 15
    Parrot Zik
    Audio Technica ATH-ANC9

Anyone used any of these? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

ANC headphones wouldn't be much good for gaming, you'd generally be in a quiet area whilst gaming anyway, instead you'd want something comfortable that sounds good.

Since your budget is large, maybe try splitting the load, get one for travelling and another for gaming. As you mentioned you wear glasses maybe consider a set of IEMs instead of ANC headphones which won't fatigue you after an hour or two like your m50s. They'll be more convenient whilst travelling but still block out background sound; etymotic triple flanges are regarded to have the best isolation but it's easy to find IEMs that have good isolation.

Read up this guide for gaming headphones to point you in the right direction:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

If your determined to go the ANC route here's an ANC headphone shootout though the reviewer in the end prefered to use IEMs:
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones-page-3

Allowed 'burn in' the Superlux HD668B's before I have to give them back for wrapping..

From the short time I've had so far, IEMS will not cut it. Regret ever selling my M50s. Oh well, guess a new story begins here :P

yimrsg wrote: »
    If your determined to go the ANC route here's an ANC headphone shootout though the reviewer in the end prefered to use IEMs:
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones-page-3

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

• Advertisement

Brian wrote: »

I have quite a lot of Logitech products already. I like most of their stuff but find there's always some sort of messing with firmware etc to get them running well and they can tend to have spurious bugs every once in a while. I wouldn't expect the same with headsets but you never know with them.

If, Big if...i got the qc15 then would I be able to get a pre amp to improve gaming performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just a quick question lads.

How much would a decent 5.1 surround setup with a CD player cost? Does the quality of the CD player affect how the CD will sound or are they much the same.

I got a Porcupine Tree album there, a deluxe edition with the second disc being a DVD with 24 bit sound and mixed for 5.1, pity not many people mix that way for music.

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Hmm. I'm non-plussed by the performance of my HE-400s with the old Kenwood integrated amp I have. I had a NAD 3020e for a few days before giving that to my parents, but I seem to recall it sounding much better than the Kenwood when I was using AD 700s. Will bring the HE-400s home at the weekend and try it with the NAD to see if there's a noticeable improvement with HE-400s. If there is... well, that's good because it means there is still more to come from the headphones in terms of performance.

Curious to see how it would pair with this new Schiit Magni, especially since their Asgard model is basically meant to be the ultimate amp pairing for the HE-400s.

When on earth was that released. I want it, no.. I NEED IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'd like to see how it stacks up against the O2A/DAC, I was all set for getting a Bifrost/Asgard combo before it came out.
    Specs seem promising, but it'll be the real world test thats the decider.

The Modi looks like a pretty decent DAC for that price level, though obviously the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Been thinking of getting one of these guys at some stage as the reviews have been favourable. Wonder how the Modi would stack up against it, or how it would compare against the Fiio E10, of which I've been a happy user for the past few months.

Possibly seen of the greatest things in life today;

Was in the TkMaxx in town and some ole lad and and his son(around 40ish) picked up the Denon AH-D510, the ole lad questioned the son and asked if they'd be any good for his music etc, the son had no idea so said, "sure we'll open them and try". I couldn't help but stand and watch, because peoples reactions to music and headphones etc is actually something I find exciting. Anyway, the ole lad searched through his iPod for a track he wanted and pressed play. I've never seen someone smile so big. Stood for about 5 minutes and just turned to his son "So, that's what that really sounds like, never heard that kind of detail.." He took them off and went to put them back, and the son, was like, "What are ye doing? Don't you like them", and he replies, "I do, but have grandkids to buy for as well" What happened next just gave me the biggest smile ever. "Well sure Dad, I have to look after you, Happy Christmas"
    A Father and Son walked out happy, and I walked out with some "Man Tears" rolling down my cheek.

Sometimes you just gotta love Hi-Fi gear.

TL;DR It's the little things

On topic, man my AH1100s are banging. In love with music all over again :p

marko93 wrote: »
    Allowed 'burn in' the Superlux HD668B's before I have to give them back for wrapping..

From the short time I've had so far, IEMS will not cut it. Regret ever selling my M50s. Oh well, guess a new story begins here :P

Hey man, how did you get on with the Superlux after?

Hey man, how did you get on with the Superlux after?

I will never invest serious money in IEMs again.

Shortly after I gave them back, I seen some Denons in TKMaxx of all places and picked them up and fell in love. The bass in them was overbearing at times but with the eq set to bass reducer they were excellent.

Then I plugged the Superlux back in and well, they're still plugged in :P

They do so much right, and so little wrong.
    My audio knowledge is limited so I'll try!

I'll start with what I think is the easiest to write about.

Bass:
    On first audition it provided a good deal of lackluster. Nothing to impress, I enjoy my bass so it left me wanting more. 50+ hours later, well I'll be damned Jimmy, we're onto something. It's alive! The headphone feels alive, I can only describe it as fun. Punchy and somewhat accurate?

Mids:
    I've only ever owned headphones with somewhat recessed mids. So i'm not quite sure how these stand up to a lot of headphones. Compared to the Denons AH-D1100 I can notice a major difference and to me the music seems somewhat more full? Again, when I can notice it, I love it! So another bonus point for the Superlux

Highs:
    I used to own a pair of UE TF10s, if any of you are familiar with them, you'll know about their highs. I found them quite unbearable for the most part. When I first opened these, I found that same high screech as I had in the TF10s. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and carried on with listening/burning in. Now, 50+ hours it seems tame? Perhaps I got used to it, but it's just not sounding as screechy and uncomfortable as before!

Sound Stage:
    Sorry, haven't the first clue on how to judge this! :P
    I can say it doesn't feel compressed? It feels a good deal open and spacious? I'm not too sure :P

Isolation:
    Limited. Can hear most things around me, hell I can hear this as I type it! They're not for outdoors but suitable for indoors :)

Comfort:
    I find them quite comfy, and a bit loose. Head doesn't feel like it's being pressed on all that hard. Earpads do make me sweat a bit, but it's bearable! I hear AKG pads are far better? Will look into that.

Build Quality:
    Made of plastic but seem rather sturdy. No problems yet, detachable cable is a nice addition.

Bang for buck?
    Certainly, for the 35€ I paid for them, I'm certainly getting my monies worth!
    Are they perfect?.. No.
    Did I expect them to be?.. No
    Am I delighted and listening to a lot of music all over again?.. Yes, sweet baby jesus yes.

Verdict:
    They leave me curious as to what High-End gear sounds like, if these can sound so good. Would I buy them again, certainly, they're excellent for the price.

Look, I know this isn't the best review you'll ever read, or all too good. So my apologies if you find it shíte.

Mark~

• Advertisement

Picked up a set of HE400s, if you're on the fence about getting these, just buy them!
    Fantastically clear, loads of bass and a great wide sound stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

PPC wrote: »
    Picked up a set of HE400s, if you're on the fence about getting these, just buy them!
    Fantastically clear, loads of bass and a great wide sound stage.

Nice, they seem to be at the sweet point of price / performance. What are you driving them off?

Issac wrote: »
    Nice, they seem to be at the sweet point of price / performance. What are you driving them off?

Just an E17 for now, might setup my E9 as well and see does it help.
    They're only 35ohm, so easy enough to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

They're definitely on my most wanted list. I've heard very little (if any) bad reports on them. Going to need to convince the missus that I "need" another set of cans! Enjoy and let us know how they are after a bit of time with them, if you get a chance. :)

From what I read they go perfectly with the E17. Thankfully I've low funds so I won't be splurging yet again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey guys,

You should probably shoot me.

Running DT990 Pros(250Ohm) without an AMP. I pass em through a cheapo little hifi as the amp on that is the best of the lot. Mobo sound is totally underwhelming, added my old XFi 5.1 card to try out, a little better. Have a DJIO but its only good for 64Ohm or less really.

They sound quite good, but I think with a good setup they'll definitely sound better.

So, what I'm wondering is whats a good budget desk amp? I've no cash to spare atm but could probably get it after the birthday in a few months.

So your source is digital files from the computer? Have you considered one of the Fiio DAC/Amp combos? Have the E10 myself & very impressed with it. My headphones are low impedence but it has a hi-gain setting & puts out plenty of power. The more expensive E17 has a very good reputation too.

Yeah, MP3 320 for the most part(Not enough of an audiophile for FLAC).

Googling for DT990 Pro amp and similar throws up a few headfi threads suggesting those units. E17 does look nice alright.

Would an unsophisticated ear hear the difference between the 10 and the 17?

Haven't personally heard the E17 myself so can't say for sure but it's got pretty good reviews. I think the higher price might be because the E10 is a simpler unit rather than the E17 having a massively better DAC. Personally I'd prefer the look of the E10 anyway - rotary volume controls ftw!

• Advertisement

Haven't personally heard the E17 myself so can't say for sure but it's got pretty good reviews. I think the higher price might be because the E10 is a simpler unit rather than the E17 having a massively better DAC. Personally I'd prefer the look of the E10 anyway - rotary volume controls ftw!

I made a custom little unit that goes under my monitors(wall mounted, and screens not speakers :p ) that'd be a perfect home for the e10.

Dont have the cash but very tempted to hit buy on that :rolleyes:

Advertisement