Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP/BER Issues (Merged)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

Well if SEI keep allowin random people to do the course it'll spiral downwards and the service will be pointless as these randomers wont have a clue

However, the 570 figure is for an audit, the 275 is drawing based

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Thought about this for a while and surely whoever attended the course and passed the exam must have as much knowlege as needed to check properties and issue the certificate.

As regards the property owner, all they are interested in is getting as high a rating as possible for as small a fee as possible unless they have asked for another/more in depth kind of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

fodda wrote: »
    Thought about this for a while and surely whoever attended the course and passed the exam must have as much knowlege as needed to check properties and issue the certificate.

As regards the property owner, all they are interested in is getting as high a rating as possible for as small a fee as possible unless they have asked for another/more in depth kind of service.

In the context of , from Jan 2009 onwards , all buildings being sold or let I think you essentially correct Fodda .

Cheap inspection , high rating will be chased . I have passed the BER test and a perversity I have noticed is that the more forensic you are at REALLY assessing a property the "worse" the rating becomes . a better assesor will tend to arrive at a "worse" rating

I foresee 2 types of assessor emerging .

type 1
    A technically competent assessor with years and years of experience of building behind him/her .

type 2
    The second kind will give "what the market wants" . In my own opinion SEI will not be able to police this - not a chance in hell

Use this first type of guy/girl to give you the truth about your self build ideas

If your flogging / renting and have different motivations ....

I understand you exactly Sinnerboy.

So before long the cert will probably be under 100euro maybe.

But to do your more in depth survey and self build advice etc you dont need to be qualified as an Assessor do you?? and when the cert price comes right down all of the money you have spent on courses etc will be wasted as for you probably cant be bothered to compete with cut price certs????

Fodda at the homebond seminar in citywest , dublin about a month back SEI indicated

they believe 2000 assessors will be required in Jan . I think this is way under estimated

to ( that ) date
    800 had passed the BER test , like me
    250 had registered , not like me

SEI also issue "consumer advice" to expect to pay € 250-300 for a cert .... ( out of which SEI get €25 and tax man to be paid etc ... )

I am not rushing to register

the training was invaluable ( i work in architecture ) to design and specify to acheive good BER rating + B regs compliance

but to register or not ...... I'll wait and see

• Advertisement

But if you arent registered does that mean you cant issue a cert on work you undertake assessing the property???? or doesnt it make any difference as long as you passed the course exam???

Say each assessor does one property per day multiplied by 2000 assessors and 52 weeks of the year = 520,000 properties per year.

Well there will be very few sales for years to come so these will be mainly rentals.

Anybody got figures on amount of properties rented per year??

But if you arent registered does that mean you cant issue a cert on work you undertake assessing the property???? or doesnt it make any difference as long as you passed the course exam???

no only those registered can issue certs

sinnerboy wrote: »
    no only those registered can issue certs

Sorry should have read your reply properly......and we crossed on my other post.

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/privhseholdsprovcountcity2002.htm

Well according to this site there appears to be less than 1,288,000 private households in 2002.

Lets just say that there is now an extra 500,000 making it around 1 and 3/4 million households.

Well if every single house was sold or rented then that means there is around 3 years work max for the 2000 assessors.

What do you think????

every BUILDING sold or rented from jan 2009 will need BER label

to assess an existing building will take more than one day
    visit building , measure up , walls , windows , doors ,roofs . tabulate areas . assign u values , assess heating and ventilation . enter into DEAP . lot of work , lot of time

• Advertisement

I understand and dont doubt the amount of work involved.

If each course is around 1800 and there are 3 courses, well thats 5400.

Then to get registered and pay for software with your PI insurence say around 2000.

Then you will have forked out in the region of 7500 to be able to assess new...old and commercial properties.

If the price does drop due to the amount of assessors competing for work then it will be a long time before it pays for it's self....What do you think????

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If each course is around 1800 and there are 3 courses, well thats 5400.

Then to get registered and pay for software with your PI insurence say around 2000.

Then you will have forked out in the region of 7500 to be able to assess new...old and commercial properties.

If the price does drop due to the amount of assessors competing for work then it will be a long time before it pays for it's self....What do you think????

1. generally each course shouldnt cost the same
    2. the charges for commercial BERs will be much greater than domestic
    3. PI insurance is as low as €400 for €1 million indemnity
    4. you dont pay for the software as a separate cost.

Ok so with the initial outlay on courses etc..........then to register and get insured etc.

Then with the amount of Assessors and falling cert survey charges.

Added to that the lack of houses being sold for what looks like many years to come and also too many houses around empty so not being rented.

Is it worth spending all this money to qualify as an Assessor for what looks like a diminishing market and what potential customers there are, are being chased by many people.?????

Ok so with the initial outlay on courses etc..........then to register and get insured etc.

Then with the amount of Assessors and falling cert survey charges.

Added to that the lack of houses being sold for what looks like many years to come and also too many houses around empty so not being rented.

Is it worth spending all this money to qualify as an Assessor for what looks like a diminishing market and what potential customers there are, are being chased by many people.?????

I certainly wouldnt do it to try to make a full time living out of it as a speciality. The vast majority of assessors i know do it as a part of another professional, be it mechanical engineer, architectural technician, qs etc.

I also know of assessors who intend doing them as nixers.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I certainly wouldnt do it to try to make a full time living out of it as a speciality. The vast majority of assessors i know do it as a part of another professional, be it mechanical engineer, architectural technician, qs etc.

How do you mean.. "nixers" ????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

How do you mean.. "nixers" ????
    Jobs on the side or on the quiet to supplement their income.

Yep, i really don't think its a "standalone business", not enough work out there

Yep and after reading your stuff here then i dont think i will continue down this line as for part time work i could get eleswhere without parting with all that cash and maybe better paid aswell.

Perhaps the thing to do on this subject is start a training course as that seems to be where the money is.

I know somewhere it must be an offence if you havent got a Cert when offering the place for sale or rent, but how can this be enforced ?

Example .... if I want to rent a house and it hasnt got a Cert how the hell can anybody stop me whether I pay by cheque or give the man cash it is upto me what I do with my money, who I give it to and for what.

If I want to buy a place would a bank or solicitor refuse the mortgage or to complete on the basis that I havent got an energy sticker to show them as I might be buying to improve.

• Advertisement

I know somewhere it must be an offence if you havent got a Cert when offering the place for sale or rent, but how can this be enforced ?

Example .... if I want to rent a house and it hasnt got a Cert how the hell can anybody stop me whether I pay by cheque or give the man cash it is upto me what I do with my money, who I give it to and for what.

If I want to buy a place would a bank or solicitor refuse the mortgage or to complete on the basis that I havent got an energy sticker to show them as I might be buying to improve.

The BER will be required as a document of sale the same way a cert of compliance or land registry folio etc are currently required. They will be requested by solicitors.
    If the clients want to purchase without, fine..... but that generally wouldnt be advised by the solicitor for tehpurchaser.

I really dont think it wil be enforced to existing buildings, the only way it'll be done is if the buyer requests it

I really dont think it wil be enforced to existing buildings, the only way it'll be done is if the buyer requests it

local authorities will be able to request " on demand" .

wait and see ....

No, its the same thing

it will be requested as part of the conveyancing procedure. There was an article about this in a recent law society journal.

Excellent, now if they enforce the renting market we'd be laughing aswel!

you make a very good point about the rental market.

How will that be enforced?, it simply cannot be left to the 'renter', and if 'rentee' requests it whats stopping him from being told to feck off.

hummm.....

you make a very good point about the rental market.

How will that be enforced?, it simply cannot be left to the 'renter', and if 'rentee' requests it whats stopping him from being told to feck off.

hummm.....

some s******y landlords will make the tenants pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ber Direct

<SNIP> fully qualified....................

Edit: And now fully disqualified. You are the weakest link - goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

UK Building Mag on EPC's

Leading providers claim certificates will set back building owners anywhere between £500 to over £20,000

The bulk of non-domestic energy performance certificates will cost between £4-6,000, leading providers claimed this week.

Early estimates vary, with the sum of £500 being given for the very smallest premises below 100msq to thousands for more significant buildings. some providers have said.

A spokesperson for the BRE said that most EPCs will cost between £5-10,000 but added was too early to be more specific. “There are a lot of ‘unknowns,’ on which the estimate will depend. These include the number and usage of zones are in the building, the method of heating and cooling and whether the original drawings are available. But the floor area will be the most important.”

And while having manuals and plans to hand will save time, assessors will still need to check the facts. EPC assessors will have to make sure that the building is being used for the listed purposes and that no extensions have been added.

Greg Dunn of Leicestershire-based Elmhurst Energy Systems agreed with the assessment: “Most surveyors charge £1,000 a day for medium and large buildings. I can imagine £4-5,000 would be the cost of assessing a Level 3 building. Some large hospitals will see bills of £20,000 or more.”

But others refused to be drawn into talks of pricing, having had their fingers burnt before. “We have taken a lot of flack about DEA fees,” said Brian Scannell of NES, “despite having given the caveat that market forces will dictate the prices.

“So … we are incredibly reluctant to get drawn into discussions about fees for commercial EPCs. We simply state it’s up to each individual to negotiate with their clients.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BERk8

:( The Government has copped out again on this one, just like the NCT! All they need to do is incorporate it into the planning process et voila, SI 666 EPBD is a useful piece of legislation.

Advertisement