Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

leaf blower vacuum

• 13-07-2020 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Im in the market for a leaf blower for DIY use, however I want something with a bit of power too.

I guess backback is the way to go when I want a vacuum bag.

Any suggestions what is good and bad, a Stihl seems to be twice the price of most others

I was wondering would the vacuum also do for cleaning eve chutes and car interiors etc if can get up near them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

aidanki wrote: »
    Im in the market for a leaf blower for DIY use, however I want something with a bit of power too.

I guess backback is the way to go when I want a vacuum bag.

Any suggestions what is good and bad, a Stihl seems to be twice the price of most others

I was wondering would the vacuum also do for cleaning eve chutes and car interiors etc if can get up near them

Definitely go with petrol versions for power, I've had a few over the years and to be honest the vacuum function rarely did what is intended. Their shape, weight and design do not lend themselves to cleaning eves or cars either I'm afraid and I've rarely seen a vacuum bag that is not cumbersome to use. I've a large area plagued with leaves in autum and use it purely for blowing leaves into a defined area for mulching seperately.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yep can also second the point about the vacuum function rarely working on any of the ones I've ever had. The one I have currently got completely blocked up the first time I used it, didn't mulch the leaves properly and they got stuck in it.

Just get a good petrol blower and a big rake!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The vacuum function is silly. Talk to any repair shop and they will tell you not to use it.
    If a pebble gets sucked up it will hit of the rotator and break the housing. It happened one of ours.

Sthill stuff is expensive but lasts multiple lifetimes of other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I have a Husqvarna 125BV and I think it is a great machine. Light, balanced, easy to use. It has a vacuum bag that I haven't used for a few years; as others have said, too cumbersome, blocks easily. Wouldn't try gutters or inside a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭standardg60

I use an electric one and find the vacuum invaluable for sucking leaves off pebble. It's not strong enough to suck the pebbles up enough to reach the housing so switching off momentarily drops them back out. It is imperative though to only use it when the leaves are dry otherwise it will certainly block up, and yes you do need to be pretty strong to wield it as the bag fills.
    But personally i find vacuuming vastly superior to blowing when you then need to still pick up and bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I regularly use the vacuum attachment on my stihl blowrr and it is fine, not brilliant but fine.

It has aged a fair bit of work over the years with raking.

However, it won't do wet leaves very well, it is best on a dry autumn day (which do exist occasionally)

I have never broken a housing or impeller with inadvertently sucking up stones, I have had my sh85? 17 years.

Yes, they di a gutter clearing kit but I think it just blows the debris out to then be cleared up, but saves ladders.

No, it won't vacuum a car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’m looking for a blower only. I’ve a big garden and want one that will blow moss after I scarify. I’ll use it to clean sheds etc also. Can’t afford stihl. What’s the best for around €200? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭blackbox

I bought one of these a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0764JRVYH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Blower only - no vacuum. Easy to start. Plenty of power. Never gives any bother.

Tubes are a bit light. Wouldn't suit professional use but fine if you don't abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I’m looking for a blower only. I’ve a big garden and want one that will blow moss after I scarify. I’ll use it to clean sheds etc also. Can’t afford stihl. What’s the best for around €200? Thanks

Might be better off using the lawnmower. I find blower does not work well in grass, it impedes the airflow. Much better on smoother surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Just wondering if anyone knows any good Leaf Blowers and any deals out there? there seem to be spurious chinese engined versions out there for about 150-200Euros, about half the price of a Stihl or Husqvarna.
    For normal garden use, which would probably be an hours work 10 times a year, i would imaging these chinese versions are good enough?
    Anyone any positive or negative experiences or any other advice?
    thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Lidl have one in at the moment. Petrol blower. Page 28 on this leaflet archive. Page 27 has a shredder actually as well.

https://my-leaflet.ie/lidl-offers/catalogue-3691-27

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i bought one of these a couple of years ago

https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-125-bvx-blowervac

great job was hoovering leaves yesterday never had a problem with stones it get blocked with dirt if your sucking up leaf mold

Advertisement