Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭ Luna Brief Self-denial

Hi is there any android box available that has a satellite tuner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes there are Android satellite boxes like the Amiko A5. I've no experience with one touch so cannot advise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

there are a few hybrid androids about yes

Yes there are Android satellite boxes like the Amiko A5. I've no experience with one touch so cannot advise

Is that a proper android box though I've done a quick search and the information doesn't give what version of Android is on them.

Nowso wrote:
    there are a few hybrid androids about yes

If you could name or even link to some I'd appreciate it

• Advertisement

Is that a proper android box though I've done a quick search and the information doesn't give what version of Android is on them.

It'll be a hacked version of touchscreen Android OS designed for a tablet like most Chinese Android boxes. Probably never gets an update from the software it ships with. Unlike official Android TV which is designed for a big screen experience with a dpad remote.

If it were me I'd just get an enigma satellite box and a Mibox or Shield running official Android TV. You can then use the Dream EPG app to connect to the Enigma box over your network

It'll be a hacked version of touchscreen Android OS designed for a tablet like most Chinese Android boxes. Probably never gets an update from the software it ships with. Unlike official Android TV which is designed for a big screen experience with a dpad remote.

Thanks for that explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

Lads, thanks for the great info on the forum here I am looking for an android TV box, mainly to stream live TV and recordings from my Enigma2 combi receiver. Have wired LAN.

It's a bedroom TV mainly for my wife's use, slight chance it might get some Netflix use, but probably nothing else besides the E2 streaming.

Is the one below, which I will order from Amazon, suitable? Realistically would not want to spend much more unless there was a good reason too (or if this box was not a good option).

Thank you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X9RS78G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_BK57Eb917FWVH

Genghis wrote: »
    Lads, thanks for the great info on the forum here I am looking for an android TV box, mainly to stream live TV and recordings from my Enigma2 combi receiver. Have wired LAN.

It's a bedroom TV mainly for my wife's use, slight chance it might get some Netflix use, but probably nothing else besides the E2 streaming.

Is the one below, which I will order from Amazon, suitable? Realistically would not want to spend much more unless there was a good reason too (or if this box was not a good option).

Thank you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X9RS78G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_BK57Eb917FWVH

That runs Android OS, not Android TV. See my post above for the disadvantages of Android OS.

You would be better with an officially supported device like a Mibox S. If the Mibox s is above your budget get an Amazon Fire Stick 4k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NZD7JP3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tT57EbV5TWM62

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QB9BD7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uU57EbTVG1GST

That runs Android OS, not Android TV. See my post above for the disadvantages of Android OS.

You would be better with an officially supported device like a Mibox S. If the Mibox s is above your budget get an Amazon Fire Stick 4k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NZD7JP3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tT57EbV5TWM62

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079QB9BD7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uU57EbTVG1GST

Thanks Gooey Looey. Neither above have LAN so will probably go Amazon Fire 4K Stick plus Ethernet adaptor.

Is there a Fire TV app you recommend for E2 streaming. Love Dream Player on my phone but seems to have poor reviews on Fire store.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Genghis wrote: »
    Thanks Gooey Looey. Neither above have LAN so will probably go Amazon Fire 4K Stick plus Ethernet adaptor.

Is there a Fire TV app you recommend for E2 streaming. Love Dream Player on my phone but seems to have poor reviews on Fire store.

Thanks again

Dream EPG by the same developer. There's an Android TV version

Dream EPG by the same developer. There's an Android TV version

Legend, thank you.

What other boxes besides the mi run Android tv. Can you put filelinked on boxes that run Android Tv and download apps from it.

What other boxes besides the mi run Android tv. Can you put filelinked on boxes that run Android Tv and download apps from it.

The Mibox s and the Shield are the main ones. Some TVs like Sony and Phillips come with Android TV. You can sideload apps that are not on the official play store

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nvidia shield and some Mecool boxs have Android TV,im sure there is plenty more.I think someone posted a list of them on this thread.

I think geek buying let's you sort by features and will show ATV boxs.

Filelinked can be put on them.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Nvidia shield and some Mecool boxs have Android TV,im sure there is plenty more.I think someone posted a list of them on this thread.

I think geek buying let's you sort by features and will show ATV boxs.

Filelinked can be put on them.

or download via apk online

as with all boxs not every app is optimised for every box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Any of the latest androids any use for gaming? ( not big in to gaming but got caught short during the lockdown and it would have passed away a few hours)...

Am I better off just getting a shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Any of the latest androids any use for gaming? ( not big in to gaming but got caught short during the lockdown and it would have passed away a few hours)...

Am I better off just getting a shield?

If you want a bit of gaming, Shield is a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads can anyone recommend a Podcast App for the KM9 Mecool player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Global Xiaomi Mi TV Stick Android TV 9.0 for $36.99 from Aliexpress using code - GPMITVSTK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Suckit wrote: »
    Global Xiaomi Mi TV Stick Android TV 9.0 for $36.99 from Aliexpress using code - GPMITVSTK

That comes in at € 33,69 for me with the code.

I'm tempted just to have a look, though I'm wondering why I should bother, I've a shield and two Mibox's already.

On another note, I've stuff on order from Ali since late apri, it's arriving in dribs and drabs, mainly phone cases and screen covers, so I'm wondering if I'd have it by xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

1gig of ram would surely be a nono for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Are the fire sticks any good ? Could some one pm me about them if possible please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Are the fire sticks any good ? Could some one pm me about them if possible please

Yes, very: Firestick thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Xiaomi Stick is down to $29 (€25.55) using code.
    Promo Code:715MITVSTICK

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001121803265.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Got fed up waiting for Google to launch the new Chromecast with a remote (Sabrina) and went ahead and bought a Mi Box S.

Was a bit concerned about some of the reviews I read mentioning things like apps being very slow to launch etc. but I have been very impressed with it so far.

For the most part I just use it for Youtube on the old TV in the bedroom which isn't "smart".

Also running Express VPN and Netflix on it and works fine.

Highly recommend this box.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Xiaomi Stick is down to $29 (€25.55) using code.
    Promo Code:715MITVSTICK

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001121803265.html

Is it an upgrade on the Mi Box S and the Mecool Km 9 Pro?

Is it an upgrade on the Mi Box S and the Mecool Km 9 Pro?

not really no same software as mi box s i presume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Looking for help selecting an android box...

Basically I need to be able to install a VPN & APK apps on it.

Along with iPlayer & 4oD etc

Advertisement