Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering books through school!

• 13-07-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Wondering why more schools don't do this.
    Parents just lodge the money with the school and the student collects all the books in September.
    School buys all the books through one shop and keeps the difference through the bulk discount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Treppen wrote: »
    Wondering why more schools don't do this.
    Parents just lodge the money with the school and the student collects all the books in September.
    School buys all the books through one shop and keeps the difference through the bulk discount.

There is a huge amount of admin involved ie organising bundles for each student. Our librarian and office staff do not get paid during the summer. We did it for years and have stopped doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

We did this for copies which I found great as everyone had the right copies from day 1!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

All of our books are done through the school, both the book rental books and workbooks . It’s a huge undertaking with almost 500 children to be catered too. People who like to bandy about our “ 3 months holidays “ don’t seem to realize that the books don’t just magically appear in the new school year .
    We don’t get a bulk discount for them though .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

All of our books are done through the school, both the book rental books and workbooks . It’s a huge undertaking with almost 500 children to be catered too. People who like to bandy about our “ 3 months holidays “ don’t seem to realize that the books don’t just magically appear in the new school year .

Have you tried other bookstores (i.e. dont go through easons or schoolbooks.ie etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Very surprised you don’t get a bulk discount! Though perhaps the school gets a percentage from the supplier, as I know by us providing a code for a certain book supplier on the book lists, our school gets a kick back from the shop.

• Advertisement

Might be worth your while getting a second opinion from https://www.slari.ie/ . They support anyone working in school libraries / school book schemes etc.
    They'd know all the secrets of the trade :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My school always had book rental. Great scheme really, but at the same time you are left with outdated books and it can be a serious struggle to get agreement for a new text. ETB so it had to go through a particular company, who I assume had tendered successfully at some stage. Often they did not have what we wanted! It is a massive undertaking to organise. And the amount of complaining from parents about cost was unbelievable, it was €130 total for JC and €80 total for LC. This included calculator, Maths set, science hardback notebook. No other charges or contributions outside TY. Allowed to pay in €5 at a time as they had it, but still plenty who would make zero payments.

My school always had book rental. Great scheme really, but at the same time you are left with outdated books and it can be a serious struggle to get agreement for a new text. ETB so it had to go through a particular company, who I assume had tendered successfully at some stage. Often they did not have what we wanted! It is a massive undertaking to organise. And the amount of complaining from parents about cost was unbelievable, it was €130 total for JC and €80 total for LC. This included calculator, Maths set, science hardback notebook. No other charges or contributions outside TY. Allowed to pay in €5 at a time as they had it, but still plenty who would make zero payments.

You mean €130 all in for 3 years of JC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You mean €130 all in for 3 years of JC?

Yes, paid at the start of 1st Year and nothing more to be paid until TY.

Yes, paid at the start of 1st Year and nothing more to be paid until TY.

Wow, and they still gave out. There's nout as quare as folk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Might be worth your while getting a second opinion from https://www.slari.ie/ . They support anyone working in school libraries / school book schemes etc.
    They'd know all the secrets of the trade :pac:

I work in a Gaelscoil. Book suppliers of Irish language books have close to a monopoly, so no bulk discounts .

Advertisement