Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Needed!

Options
  • 10-07-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

I came across a climber type vine yesterday (public place!). I’ve tried to get the name via google to no avail – but not to worry that not the reason for the post.
    If I took a bit of the vine, how could I give it a good chance of growing in my own house. Where should I cut it and what should I do next.
    Complete novice at this, but keen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A photo would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does depend on what kind of plant it is, as SW has said, a photo would help. If it is something growing with entirely new growth this year then cuttings are less easy to take and not all that likely to succeed. If it is something that has slightly mature wood you have a better chance. But we need to know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I appreciate the replys. I'll get a pic of the flowering part (just starting). The part I see is in a lane - the root is on the other side of a 5ft wall. Flowers are a pink and yellow in a star (ish) shape, pointed petals. A bit vicious looking but very attractive. Flower about 4 inches wide. I'll get a pic during the early part of the week. Thanks, Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

Sounds like could be passiflora

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Voltairey wrote: »
    Sounds like could be passiflora

Was going to say the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does it look like this, more or less?

9705-004-C9D74283.jpg

New Home wrote: »
    Does it look like this, more or less?

9705-004-C9D74283.jpg

100%! Flower Detectives. It's absolutely that family of flower.

If you want yo get seeds, get a passion fruit (the crinklier and darker the better) from Lidl or one of the supermarkets and scoop out the seeds from that. aif you're lucky enough it'll be a hardy variety and you'd get edible fruits, too. The colour of the flowers will probably be different, though.

Pics attached - any suggestion would be great.

Yep, passiflora, or passion flower. Probably cerulean.

The "Passion" part of the name doesn't have any erotic references, it relates to the Passion of Jesus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora#Etymology_and_names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

IRE60 wrote: »
    Pics attached - any suggestion would be great.

Feed it well and if it is within a kilometre or two of your garden it will spread there in a couple of months! :D (slight exaggeration...)

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=295
    see "Propagation" in the above link.
    HTH

Advertisement