Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beat Saber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

bluewolf wrote: »
    Box vr is good, i was trying it after the new song x20 on beat saber so didn't spend long. What are good things to do in it? I tried the beginner class and the <10 min class

I've set a target of 30 mins per day, but might up this as time goes on.

The last option on the menu, Survival, is fun to see how far you can get until the hearts deplete.

Apparently the only way to get the extra hard levels is to create your own playlist, haven't tried this yet.

I see Creed is $8 on the US store so I might pick this up too, now that I'm in the mood to get sweaty in VR :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, so I finally tried out BoxVR last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a definite work out, and you get out what you put in. I noticed very early on that you get more points the stronger you punch, so you can go flat out or take it handy, still a workout either way. Like others, have a 30 min target, and I think I set it too high for me initially. Did 21 min on Friday and was drowned and wrecked. Upped it to 30 on Saturday, did 2 of the beginner ones, a 6 min one and then the last 10 min one (which is 10m 45s by the way), something called 'not serious' or something like that. I didn't play Sunday or today and I'm still a bit sore. Went too hard I reckon.

But yes, it works really, really well as a cardio and arms workout. I think it will replace BS as the most played VR game for a while, as long as I don't kill myself with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I got Box Vr a few days ago.. Today I can barely move anything above the waist without agonizing pain.
    Great game!

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I got Box Vr a few days ago.. Today I can barely move anything above the waist without agonizing pain.
    Great game!

My arms and back muscles are in bits (in a good way!)

I read a few people use 1kg weighted gloves... I wonder would they do more harm than good?

Some handy tips on warm ups and general form to use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There was an update to add new 1-saber/90/360 levels to existing tracks. I haven't tried them yet (mainly cos it's not out on PSVR yet) but overall the updates have been pretty disappointing lately, August 2019 was the last OST release.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Beat Saber has gone down hill with the PSVR since Facebook bought them. PC players always have new music to play thanks to mods, PSVR is being forgotten about.

And rather than new versions of the same songs, we need more original songs. Forget about spending hapes of money getting permission from crap artists to feature their crap music.

Or at least give us a 10 track 90s dance pack!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh that is annoying, i've seen a load of posts about new stuff but didn't realise psvr got basically nothing
    would loooooove some Infected Mushroom or something to be added

Yeah, big song and dance about the delay to the new "free" update and it being delayed due to Sony. When it's out then it's only a few extra 90 degree levels. Beat Saber support on PSVR has basically disappeared since Facebook bought them in November.

Timberland: March 2020
    Greenday: Dec 2019
    Monstercat x Rocket League: Nov 2019
    Imagine Dragons: June 2019

There were some free songs, but only a handful. Had great hopes for this and ruined by Facebook, just like anything Facebook touches. Shame. I look forward to the clones that will eventually come.

bluewolf wrote: »
    oh that is annoying, i've seen a load of posts about new stuff but didn't realise psvr got basically nothing
    would loooooove some Infected Mushroom or something to be added

Steam got the same update? Only difference is 90 degree PSVR levels are 360 degree on Steam but that’s a platform limitation.

Steam got the same update? Only difference is 90 degree PSVR levels are 360 degree on Steam but that’s a platform limitation.

I take into account you can get custom songs and maps on PC. So while no update from BS themselves, there's no shortage of songs to play on PCVR, ie: the community are keeping the PCVR version going.

I love the game, but when Facebook got involved they tried to make it more broad and it just doesn't work imo. I'd love to see the sales figures for the ID, Greenday and Timberland packs. Most of that music just doesn't work in a game like this. And I believe they're wasting time, money and effort trying to get rights from big names, when the game would be far better supporting up and coming songs with a proper beat. Most of the original songs I wouldn't have dreamed of listening to, but they suit the game so I loved them.

It's like when Guitar Hero and Rock Band were running out of good music and started releasing crap that didn't suit it.

• Advertisement

I take into account you can get custom songs and maps on PC. So while no update from BS themselves, there's no shortage of songs to play on PCVR, ie: the community are keeping the PCVR version going.

I agree but also the lack of custom songs is a platform limitation - I’m sure if there was a way to hack custom songs into the PSVR the community songs would be the same.
    I love the game, but when Facebook got involved they tried to make it more broad and it just doesn't work imo. I'd love to see the sales figures for the ID, Greenday and Timberland packs. Most of that music just doesn't work in a game like this. And I believe they're wasting time, money and effort trying to get rights from big names, when the game would be far better supporting up and coming songs with a proper beat. Most of the original songs I wouldn't have dreamed of listening to, but they suit the game so I loved them.

Imagine Dragons and Green Day pre-date the Facebook acquisition (the Green day pack came out a couple of weeks after FB bought it, my guess is it was in the works before FB came a long) So while output has varied, I don’t know how much of that can be attributed to FB.

In any case, it is disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

have you guys managed to clear ghost on E+ at full speed?
    like i was playing it today at 70% and it nearly killed me?!
    the whole thing was just "excuse me wtf"

There's about 8 or 10 songs in total I can't finish on E+. Can't keep up with them. Ghost is definitely WTF and I'll be honest, I don't think ill ever beat it. Same with Cycle Hit and most of the Carmelia songs. I reckon, with enough attempts, I can beat Crystalized. I keep failing at the break in the middle of the really fast part about 2/3rds of the way through.

Still not able to beat Overkill either, but that's just practice I reckon.

Saying all that, with no decent songs in a long time, I have only played it a few times in the last months. No interest in band music on it, so ID, Timberland and GD have zero interest for me.

Still say it badly needs a 90s dance pack.

I think im getting better enough at cycle hit on full speed i will be able to clear it.
    There's enough of a challenge left in that and ghost I'm starting to play it a bit more again, good for moving.

Haven't actually cleared fitbeat at e+ either, i really like it but always fail halfway

There's nothing like someone with too much time or natural talent, or both, to make your small accomplishments in this game seem insignificant.

Ghost, Expert +, pretty sure 100% combo with 95.3% accuracy. With ghost notes...

Not directly Beat Saber but there's a new app for Quest called Supernatural (US/CA only for the moment). It's basically curated workouts using baseball bats instead of Sabers and the backgrounds of wonders of the world like Galapagos Islands. Rumour has it that some of the BS community mappers are doing the beat maps for this app (and getting paid for it) and it shows, really good maps and more of a workout than BS. Only downside (and it's pretty major) is that it's a monthly/annual sub and not a once off payment. In return they do release one workout a day with 4-5 songs with a good variety (the playlist yesterday was metal with Pantera and Static-X) so it's almost like the game Beat Saber could be.

(the playlist yesterday was metal with Pantera and Static-X

Feck sake Beat Games, get on this! I'd love to try some metal in BS!

Not directly Beat Saber but there's a new app for Quest called Supernatural (US/CA only for the moment). It's basically curated workouts using baseball bats instead of Sabers and the backgrounds of wonders of the world like Galapagos Islands. Rumour has it that some of the BS community mappers are doing the beat maps for this app (and getting paid for it) and it shows, really good maps and more of a workout than BS. Only downside (and it's pretty major) is that it's a monthly/annual sub and not a once off payment. In return they do release one workout a day with 4-5 songs with a good variety (the playlist yesterday was metal with Pantera and Static-X) so it's almost like the game Beat Saber could be.

Thought Supernatural wasn't available outside the US?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Thought Supernatural wasn't available outside the US?

I'm in Canada.

Feck sake Beat Games, get on this! I'd love to try some metal in BS!

It was great, the mappers did a really good job. But I honestly think it's too late for BS to change course and move to the sub model.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

It's like when Guitar Hero and Rock Band were running out of good music and started releasing crap that didn't suit it.
    As someone who got this a week or so back on steam ,and modded it about 10 minutes after it installed it's great , but without the ability to add my own songs I probably wouldnt bother , I mean PSVR owners are missing out n the glory that is 'I'm on a boat' on Expert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would absolutely love this but the fact i could only play ****ty dance songs on psvr is making me hold out. I wanna be able to play I'm on a boat :(

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I would absolutely love this but the fact i could only play ****ty dance songs on psvr is making me hold out. I wanna be able to play I'm on a boat :(

I wasn't too pushed on the music initially, but they quickly ended up in a Spotify playlist. While I'm a fan of some EDM, I wouldn't usually listen to the types of EDM that's in Beat Saber, but they grew on me through playing.

Thing is, that type of music (imo) is perfect for these types of games. You need something with a good beat, and the madness that can be in some of these songs really adds to the experience of playing. Each to their own and all that, but the songs from Imagine Dragons, Greenday and Timberland just don't do it for me.

Still think we need a 90's dance mix, and some proper Rock and Metal would also suit, again all music that has a proper, decent beat and no moany bitch singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

New music coming August 17th. Prepare to be disappointed...

JimBurnley wrote: »
    New music coming August 17th. Prepare to be disappointed...

I won't be holding my breath, but trying to figure out if the date reveal picture is a hint. It's not a typical background, and I reckon it's a small bit of a logo or album cover art for whoever is next. But I'm terrible with modern music so no point in me even guessing.

Image link because the image itself is hooj! Curiosity is getting the better of me, might post in the music forum and see if anyone recognises the background. Will trawl through the cesspool that is Reddit first though.

Hmmmm. I'll admit to slightly liking some of their songs. It will be very dependant on which ones. And not sure if I can cope with him screaming into my ear for too long. Some songs will suit. Numb, not so sure, seems a bit slow in general. Actually, most of their songs are pretty much on the slow/ballad side.

Hmmmm. I'll admit to slightly liking some of their songs. It will be very dependant on which ones. And not sure if I can cope with him screaming into my ear for too long. Some songs will suit. Numb, not so sure, seems a bit slow in general. Actually, most of their songs are pretty much on the slow/ballad side.

Agreed! What would be more disappointing is if there is only 3 new tracks after months of nothing other than the fitness track and the 90/360/1-hand maps.
    In any case I'm enjoying Pistol Whip a lot more.

3? So Numb, Crawling and In The End i'm guessing (reddit doesn't play well with the work VPN). Better be free at the very least! I don't usually do it, but I'll be letting them know how crap they've become since they sold their sold to AdBook.

Will pick up Pistol Whip at the end of the month. Might even chance Audica, been tempted to pull the trigger on that a few times.

• Advertisement

Looks like 11 songs.

I actually used to listen to these guys in uni all those years ago... feck it's 20 years!

Advertisement