Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-06-2020, 19:09   #61
Lex Luthor

just out of curiosity, is there a limit on the length of cable from NVR to camera?

I ran a cable from the NVR to a camera, probably 18m in length, plugged in the camera and wouldnt respond or get picked up

I made the cable and connectors up myself so I was doubting them

Took a known good 2m cable and hooked up directly the cam to the NVR and it worked so cam was good

So I was doubting the cable and/or connections
Cut both connectors off, belled then out and tested for opens & shorts with my meter, all good

Did same with cable and all good so now thinking is my cable too long? or do I nee to leave longer for the camera to be picked up?
Advertisement
07-06-2020, 19:21   #62
Gooey Looey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
just out of curiosity, is there a limit on the length of cable from NVR to camera?

I ran a cable from the NVR to a camera, probably 18m in length, plugged in the camera and wouldnt respond or get picked up

Took a known good 2m cable and hooked up directly the cam to the NVR and it worked so cam was good

Cut both connectors off, belled then out and tested for opens & shorts with my meter, all good

Did same with cable and all good so now thinking is my cable too long? or do I nee to leave longer for the camera to be picked up?
It's not too long. The limit of Ethernet is 100m.

Are you sure you crimped both ends using T568B
https://www.make-it.ca/technical-not...j45-connector/
07-06-2020, 21:02   #63
Lex Luthor

ya I had made up a few other cables last week the exact same way

I've double & triple checked the wiring, I'll check the cable again for shorts/opens in case I pinched it along the way with a cable clip or on a bend
07-06-2020, 23:08   #64
machiavellianme

Are you using poe on the 18m cable? Or just data?
07-06-2020, 23:21   #65
alta stare

Quote:

Have you checked for kinks?
Did you run the cable beside power cables?
Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly?
Have you tried to ping the camera ip address?
Advertisement
08-06-2020, 11:37   #66
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta stare View Post
Have you checked for kinks?
Did you run the cable beside power cables?
Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly?
Have you tried to ping the camera ip address?
Have you checked for kinks? I was very careful pulling the cable, if the cable bells out and there is a kink, what effect does the kink have?

Did you run the cable beside power cables? There is one nearby but its not beside

Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly? It did a few other cables no issues and I checked the connector after I cut it off to the wires and seemed ok

Have you tried to ping the camera ip address? No, but after I remake th enew connectors I'll do that
08-06-2020, 11:46   #67
alta stare

Quote:
Have you checked for kinks? I was very careful pulling the cable, if the cable bells out and there is a kink, what effect does the kink have?

Did you run the cable beside power cables? There is one nearby but its not beside

Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly? It did a few other cables no issues and I checked the connector after I cut it off to the wires and seemed ok

Have you tried to ping the camera ip address? No, but after I remake th enew connectors I'll do that
I have seen plenty of cable bell out fine and still have an issue with the cable being twisted or kinked. It is worth checking it again.

Ok so no power cable beside it. Good. That can also cause issues if they are running beside power cables.

I had a bad crimper before and at first all seemed fine with the crimps. Ended up going back to the customer a couple of months later as the crimps had failed. Needless to say that crimper was tossed in the bin. It was one of those cheap 20 euro type things that i had from many moons ago. Id never buy one like that again.

Yeah it is worth trying ping the camera. If it doesnt ping id say your crimps or cable is bad.
08-06-2020, 12:15   #68
Gooey Looey

You need a cable tester, test all 8 cores
Thanks from:
19-06-2020, 13:57   #69
Lex Luthor

Update: Replaced the connectors both ends, connected in again, waited a bit and it finally connected.
Not sure the connectors I have are the best as it took a few times to reseat the connector but got it working and as long as I dont touch it which I wont, its holding up since

I had a similar issue after making up a cable for my sons PS4 from the ethernet switch, took a few reseats but ok now

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion