Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CCTV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, is there a limit on the length of cable from NVR to camera?

I ran a cable from the NVR to a camera, probably 18m in length, plugged in the camera and wouldnt respond or get picked up

I made the cable and connectors up myself so I was doubting them

Took a known good 2m cable and hooked up directly the cam to the NVR and it worked so cam was good

So I was doubting the cable and/or connections
    Cut both connectors off, belled then out and tested for opens & shorts with my meter, all good

Did same with cable and all good so now thinking is my cable too long? or do I nee to leave longer for the camera to be picked up?

It's not too long. The limit of Ethernet is 100m.

Are you sure you crimped both ends using T568B
    https://www.make-it.ca/technical-notes/how-to-crimp-rj45-connector/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya I had made up a few other cables last week the exact same way

I've double & triple checked the wiring, I'll check the cable again for shorts/opens in case I pinched it along the way with a cable clip or on a bend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are you using poe on the 18m cable? Or just data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

just out of curiosity, is there a limit on the length of cable from NVR to camera?

I ran a cable from the NVR to a camera, probably 18m in length, plugged in the camera and wouldnt respond or get picked up

I made the cable and connectors up myself so I was doubting them

Took a known good 2m cable and hooked up directly the cam to the NVR and it worked so cam was good

So I was doubting the cable and/or connections
    Cut both connectors off, belled then out and tested for opens & shorts with my meter, all good

Did same with cable and all good so now thinking is my cable too long? or do I nee to leave longer for the camera to be picked up?

Have you checked for kinks?
    Did you run the cable beside power cables?
    Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly?
    Have you tried to ping the camera ip address?

alta stare wrote: »
    Have you checked for kinks?
    Did you run the cable beside power cables?
    Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly?
    Have you tried to ping the camera ip address?

Have you checked for kinks? I was very careful pulling the cable, if the cable bells out and there is a kink, what effect does the kink have?

Did you run the cable beside power cables? There is one nearby but its not beside

Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly? It did a few other cables no issues and I checked the connector after I cut it off to the wires and seemed ok

Have you tried to ping the camera ip address? No, but after I remake th enew connectors I'll do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Have you checked for kinks? I was very careful pulling the cable, if the cable bells out and there is a kink, what effect does the kink have?

Did you run the cable beside power cables? There is one nearby but its not beside

Are you sure your crimper is crimping the connectors properly? It did a few other cables no issues and I checked the connector after I cut it off to the wires and seemed ok

Have you tried to ping the camera ip address? No, but after I remake th enew connectors I'll do that

I have seen plenty of cable bell out fine and still have an issue with the cable being twisted or kinked. It is worth checking it again.

Ok so no power cable beside it. Good. That can also cause issues if they are running beside power cables.

I had a bad crimper before and at first all seemed fine with the crimps. Ended up going back to the customer a couple of months later as the crimps had failed. Needless to say that crimper was tossed in the bin. It was one of those cheap 20 euro type things that i had from many moons ago. Id never buy one like that again.

Yeah it is worth trying ping the camera. If it doesnt ping id say your crimps or cable is bad.

You need a cable tester, test all 8 cores

Update: Replaced the connectors both ends, connected in again, waited a bit and it finally connected.
    Not sure the connectors I have are the best as it took a few times to reseat the connector but got it working and as long as I dont touch it which I wont, its holding up since

I had a similar issue after making up a cable for my sons PS4 from the ethernet switch, took a few reseats but ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hey lads sorry to jump on your thread OP hope you don't mind.

So some scumbags decided to nitromors the mothers car last night so cameras are now on the shopping list. I read through the thread but to be honest the acronyms and mm are hurting my head.

Simple question, what should I buy? budget below €500 would be great below €300 even better. If they need wiring it won't be an issue what ever is required.

Requirements, clear picture day/night preferably dome type. I'll only need 2 cameras but 4 could work also I'll put them out back. Ability to log in and see the cameras would be good. I'll use a hard drive as opposed to cloud based storage.

Thanks for any input.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hey lads sorry to jump on your thread OP hope you don't mind.

So some scumbags decided to nitromors the mothers car last night so cameras are now on the shopping list. I read through the thread but to be honest the acronyms and mm are hurting my head.

Simple question, what should I buy? budget below €500 would be great below €300 even better. If they need wiring it won't be an issue what ever is required.

Requirements, clear picture day/night preferably dome type. I'll only need 2 cameras but 4 could work also I'll put them out back. Ability to log in and see the cameras would be good. I'll use a hard drive as opposed to cloud based storage.

Thanks for any input.

Do not get a dome. Horrible things for the most part and you'll end up wasting your cash. The IR used for night vision will reflect and make it difficult to use overnight. Turrets are your friend.

• Advertisement

Do not get a dome. Horrible things for the most part and you'll end up wasting your cash. The IR used for night vision will reflect and make it difficult to use overnight. Turrets are your friend.

On googling it seems turret is actually what I meant :o

I've had a look around and talk about a minefield of cameras. They pics all look the same so I assume the difference is in the finer details.

This one seems to be very good https://www.cctvireland.ie/ds-2cd2347g1-l-4mp-colorvu-dome-cctv-camera-with-colour-at-night.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjer4BRCZARIsABK4QeWUUjmVkRh18ZStpWkOPJ524qVhX6Y4-5KLJBM37Xgw7HEFthDTHiQaApvhEALw_wcB a bit pricey though but perhaps that's normal.

I assume I just need the camera and the harddrive part, NVR?

On googling it seems turret is actually what I meant :o

I've had a look around and talk about a minefield of cameras. They pics all look the same so I assume the difference is in the finer details.

This one seems to be very good https://www.cctvireland.ie/ds-2cd2347g1-l-4mp-colorvu-dome-cctv-camera-with-colour-at-night.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjer4BRCZARIsABK4QeWUUjmVkRh18ZStpWkOPJ524qVhX6Y4-5KLJBM37Xgw7HEFthDTHiQaApvhEALw_wcB a bit pricey though but perhaps that's normal.

I assume I just need the camera and the harddrive part, NVR?

Yes, the colorvu is one of the best on the market. I have the 4mm and the 2.8mm lens version, the latter gives a very wide view but the 4mm has better detail due to the narrower focus.
    It depends on the nvr you get on whether you need additional things like poe injectors. Some nvr's have poe and can therefore power your camera over the cable. You will also need a hard drive for the nvr and maybe a monitor. You need to make sure that the nvr has enough channels and can support the type of high resolution sources you have.
    Rfconcepts up in Belfast appear to have a discount on the cameras (GBP130 or EUR 141) at present. That's as good as you'll probably get.

Another brand worth looking at is hilook who are owned by Hikvision but are cheaper. They will have a colorvu-lite out later this year called IPC-T249H. You could always get 1 or 2 now and supplement with others later.

Yes, the colorvu is one of the best on the market. I have the 4mm and the 2.8mm lens version, the latter gives a very wide view but the 4mm has better detail due to the narrower focus.
    It depends on the nvr you get on whether you need additional things like poe injectors. Some nvr's have poe and can therefore power your camera over the cable. You will also need a hard drive for the nvr and maybe a monitor. You need to make sure that the nvr has enough channels and can support the type of high resolution sources you have.
    Rfconcepts up in Belfast appear to have a discount on the cameras (GBP130 or EUR 141) at present. That's as good as you'll probably get.

Another brand worth looking at is hilook who are owned by Hikvision but are cheaper. They will have a colorvu-lite out later this year called IPC-T249H. You could always get 1 or 2 now and supplement with others later.

Thanks for that.

To clarify POE = picture over ethernet?? I'm under the impression that most cameras are powered and transmit through the same ethernet cable.

So the NVR just allows you to view the picture it's not actually a hard drive? Do certain models come with a hard drive or do they all need an external hard drive. Monitor cable etc is no issue. Would this one suggested earlier in thread suffice? https://www.freetv.ie/4-way-nvr/

I also saw these

https://www.cctvireland.ie/ds-2cd2345fwd-i-4-mp-ip-network-dome-camera-with-poe-and-sd-card-slot-1.html

This one has IR but reading previous posts bugs etc are drawn to this

https://www.cctvireland.ie/4-mega-pixel-ip-camera-with-poe-and-30-metre-ir-night-vision-hikvision-ds-2cd2342fwd-i.html

Sorry for all the simple questions I have no idea when it comes to cctv.

PoE = Power over Ethernet

alta stare wrote: »
    Installed a Dahua system Thursday with ONVIF still a selectable protocol.

is that somewhere in the settings you can check this feature?

I got the Dahua 6MP NVR 4 port NVR from freetv.ie with 2x 4MP 2.8mm cameras

I think I upgraded to the 2GB HDD and this looks like it holds about 23 days of footage before overwriting with 2 cameras

so the more cameras or the higher def cam, will obviously affect this

I find it very easy to use and was a good price point

I think I upgraded to the 2GB HDD and this looks like it holds about 23 days of footage before overwriting with 2 cameras

Can I ask what the price point was?

Can I ask what the price point was?

The NVR was €173 with the 2TB HDD fitted
    The cameras were €64 each (4MP 2.8mm lens Turrets)

I also got a couple of rolls of CAT5e UTP Copper Ethernet Cable 50m and made my own cables
    That took the most time, but worth it in the end
    Prices above are not incl VAT

I put the NVR in the attic and ran everything from there to the cameras

The NVR was €173 with the 2TB HDD fitted
    The cameras were €64 each (4MP 2.8mm lens Turrets)

I also got a couple of rolls of CAT5e UTP Copper Ethernet Cable 50m and made my own cables
    That took the most time, but worth it in the end
    Prices above are not incl VAT

I put the NVR in the attic and ran everything from there to the cameras

Thanks I was going to do similar myself. I had planned to use Cat 6 as it's what I have handy I presume there'll be no issue with that.

I'll probably get 4mm lens if I can as the cameras will be mounted in a porch area.

Did you get them from that free tv place? Do they deliver?

Thanks I was going to do similar myself. I had planned to use Cat 6 as it's what I have handy I presume there'll be no issue with that.

I'll probably get 4mm lens if I can as the cameras will be mounted in a porch area.

Did you get them from that free tv place? Do they deliver?

yes and yes

I have the 2.8mm lens on my porch and was concerned about the wide lens angle, but actually it works out really well as it covers my porch and is wide enough to cover 90% of my drive aswell

• Advertisement

yes and yes

I have the 2.8mm lens on my porch and was concerned about the wide lens angle, but actually it works out really well as it covers my porch and is wide enough to cover 90% of my drive aswell

Thanks for that. I just took a look on their site and looks as though they don't have the cameras you picked up. I see another there with a 3.6mm lens but out of stock so might try another store on line.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Any chance you can send me a link to the ones you got as I dont see anything on free tv website for those prices. I have a trade account with them but the prices are coming up higher for me than what you paid.

Thanks for that. I just took a look on their site and looks as though they don't have the cameras you picked up. I see another there with a 3.6mm lens but out of stock so might try another store on line.

the one I got was 2.8mm, their code was 15K_20055_KD

I see now they have the 3.6mm lens under the same code and they dont list the 2.8mm lens version

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The EZ range from Dahua are entry level, but they are actually decent enough to be fair, there is a big difference between their professional range and their home range from my experiences. Its the same with hi-watch from hik-vision and actual Hik-Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Apologies to OP* if going off topic, but does seem to be s more general CCTV conversation now.

I'm weighing up between 2mp hikvision 4 channel kit for €430 and hikvision 5mp kit for €500. (They're the ones on cctvireland website). Obviously picture is going to be improved with the 5mp, but is it worth it when cameras are going to be for a big standard 3 bed bungalow with normal sized garden. With those kinds of pretty small distances am I going to be able to identify significantly more? Haven't really found any decent comparison videos on YouTube.

*Happy to delete if OP wants.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Apologies to OP* if going off topic, but does seem to be s more general CCTV conversation now.

I'm weighing up between 2mp hikvision 4 channel kit for €430 and hikvision 5mp kit for €500. (They're the ones on cctvireland website). Obviously picture is going to be improved with the 5mp, but is it worth it when cameras are going to be for a big standard 3 bed bungalow with normal sized garden. With those kinds of pretty small distances am I going to be able to identify significantly more? Haven't really found any decent comparison videos on YouTube.

*Happy to delete if OP wants.

Looking at that kit, it's very outdated. How many cameras do you need? I recently bought Hikvision for my property and used their IP cameras.

I would use nothing but IP cameras in this day and age.

I would install 4mp ColourVU cameras as they are able to show everything in colour at night. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_DFZJCc7U

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

heffo500 wrote: »
    Looking at that kit, it's very outdated. How many cameras do you need? I recently bought Hikvision for my property and used their IP cameras.

I would use nothing but IP cameras in this day and age.

I would install 4mp ColourVU cameras as they are able to show everything in colour at night. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_DFZJCc7U

Ah yeah, I know what I am looking at isn't modern, but cost is a big factor. I would need four cameras, so the difference between lower end of a decent manufacturer and top end would be massive. If money were no object then I'd certainly go for the one you've suggested.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Ah yeah, I know what I am looking at isn't modern, but cost is a big factor. I would need four cameras, so the difference between lower end of a decent manufacturer and top end would be massive. If money were no object then I'd certainly go for the one you've suggested.

Could you start we just two cameras? Looking at the prices, I see 2 Hikvision 4MP ColorVu Fixed Turret Network Camera, 2 back boxes, 305m of Cat6 cable, and a Hikvision NVR with a 2tb HDD coming in at €700 and to add two more cameras it would be €850-€900.

This is how I am building my CCTV, started with my 16 channel NVR and bought 4 cameras and adding more as I can afford it.

Also 4mp is pretty standard now, the last thing you want is when you need the images for them to be poor quality.

If you can, go for the IP cameras as it means with an NVR you can easily upgrade in the future.

on the size of the HDD, the more cameras you add, I'm sure you know the less footage will be stored on the drive

I'm currently running a 2TB drive with 2x 4MP cams, i think it keeps about 22/23 days of footage before overwriting

I'm happy enough with that as it covers me if I ever go for a 2-2.5 week holiday

any more cameras or increase in cam quality would start to reduce and I'd consider upgrading the drive, so if you are looking at 4 cameras long term, best to take the hit on upgrading the drive now than later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just jumping on this thread as I'm looking at setting up a system myself. Two CCTV companies didn't get back to me about installing €1,500-1,900 systems and after some consideration I'm looking at spending under €1,000 on a more affordable system.

I was considering two Nest cameras for €500 but €600 or so would get two 4MP ColorVu cameras, a 2TB POE NVR and 2x30m Cat5 cables from CCTV Ireland.

Their website suggests it's plug and play, how easy are these to setup? The previous quotes I got had an ethernet switch, is that even necessary? Do I need anything else apart from 2 cameras, an NVR and 2 ethernet cables? (I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor)

Advertisement