Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Architectural Technologist Register

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ?? not quite sure what you mean here bryan
    Seriously?

Tongue was firmly in cheak.

I just liked the magic beans anology. The riai have been waving these 'beans' at AT's since I was in college!

Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bazlyons

Anyone see the statement from the RIAI on the 22 December?
    They will support an AT Register for AT’s to act as ancillary certifiers only.

That should put the nail in the coffin for any technologist joining the RIAI. They have explicitly stated now they do not consider Technologists as equals but subservient to Architects.

The CIAT is now the only actual representative body for Architectural Technologists in Ireland. The RIAI only want to control not to represent.

Link to statement (hopefully it works)

http://mailchi.mp/riai.ie/riai-statement-of-support-for-architectural-technologist-members?e=9dbc9bce9c

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

I actually read the statement last week and never realised they said ancillary certifier.
    Its a kick in the teeth. Some Architects basically wanting AT's to do the work and that's it.
    I'll not be renewing with RIAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

At least its out in the open now. Why any AT would want the RIAI to protect their interests now is beyond me. The CIAT are the only show in town if AT's want to realistically become assigned certifier's & its pretty clear rowing in behind them from here on in is the only way to go.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I am looking for an architectural technician in the Carlow/kilkenny catchment area. Either independent operative or employed by an engineering or architectural practice. Where would I find a register of ATs practicing in this area and/or can I get some recommendations.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ciathkenny

Hi Guys

I am a chartered architectural technologist who’s been working in the UK for a few years but am moving back to Ireland in the near future.

I was hoping to do my own thing or at least part time but it seems the RIAI have not changed a bit they have always disregarded AT’s, RIBA Iin the UK have at least embraced the CIAT.

My main question is if I want to run my own jobs and sign of payments and compliance certs do I need to join another professional body?

And so which one is best? Do I need to upskill to join them or is my MIT and relevant work experience enough?

I am assuming I should join the ATR anyway for a start.

Thanking you in advance?

Ciath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ciath
    Suggest you contact the rics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭Charliebull

ciathkenny wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am a chartered architectural technologist who’s been working in the UK for a few years but am moving back to Ireland in the near future.

I was hoping to do my own thing or at least part time but it seems the RIAI have not changed a bit they have always disregarded AT’s, RIBA Iin the UK have at least embraced the CIAT.

My main question is if I want to run my own jobs and sign of payments and compliance certs do I need to join another professional body?

And so which one is best? Do I need to upskill to join them or is my MIT and relevant work experience enough?

I am assuming I should join the ATR anyway for a start.

Thanking you in advance?

Ciath

in order to act as assigned certifier you will need to be a registered Building Surveyor with the RICS

To get registered you will need to first become a member of CABE

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lavish

The debate is very useful. I have found information related to my interest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Downloaded

in order to act as assigned certifier you will need to be a registered Building Surveyor with the RICS

To get registered you will need to first become a member of CABE

Do you know anyone or have first hand experience of anyone who has successfully achieved registration with the RICS via CABE via CIAT route?

How difficult is it, if even possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rj01

Contact James in ciat (manages membership) and he will assist. Cabe, ciat and rics(scsi) recognise each other’s qualifications etc so my route was to become a chartered member of ciat, then apply to become a chartered member of cabe and then the scsi accepted my registration as a building surveyor. Crazy, time consuming and expensive but what you need to do to be able to practice what you’re qualified to do in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Downloaded

rj01 wrote: »
    Contact James in ciat (manages membership) and he will assist. Cabe, ciat and rics(scsi) recognise each other’s qualifications etc so my route was to become a chartered member of ciat, then apply to become a chartered member of cabe and then the scsi accepted my registration as a building surveyor. Crazy, time consuming and expensive but what you need to do to be able to practice what you’re qualified to do in Ireland.

Thanks rj01 - Do you have to become a member of the RICS first in the UK and then apply for SCSI for ROI recognition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rj01

No I didn't. As I understand it, by extension the RICS agreement of recognition with CIAT & CABE extends to the SCSI in Ireland. I am now a chartered AT, Chartered Building Engineer and registered Building Surveyor and have to pay annually to maintain those chartered memberships to continue being recognised and then you have the annual registration fee on top. James Banks in CIAT will assist you with your chartered application to CIAT which involved a portfolio (demonstrating how your past experience & training fulfills an ATs competencies) and interview, the CABE involved a similar portfolio (demonstrating how your past experience & training fulfills their BuildEng competencies) with the application and the SCSI registration also required a detailed application form (demonstrating how your past experience & training fulfills their BuildSurv competencies). Once you complete the AT Chartership, you will have most of the work complete as its a matter if emphaising the BE & BS elements of your CIAT portfolio to CABE & SCSI. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nmglky

rj01, Can i ask how long ago you went through this process?
    I have been a member with the CIAT for a few years and decided last year to get CABE and SCSI membership.
    CABE was no problem at all however the SCSI turned me down saying I should look into doing a surveying course or work under a surveyor.
    I really thought I had covered the surveying element well with my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 charlie2018

Hi would you share some information of the process during the RICS application ? please

Post edited by awec on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 charlie2018

Hi All

I am a CIAT and CABE member would like to meet up with any AT's (CIAT members) in Dublin.

Post edited by awec on

Advertisement