Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching in China

Options
  • 20-06-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I’m a primary teacher who is moving to Hangzhou, China , shortly to teach. Does anyone have experience of living/ working or even teaching in China ?

Just looking on what to expect or if there’s anything I should know eg. Stuff to bring from Ireland that’s not available in China etc. Or any advice/ tips in general. Currently in the process of sorting out the visa. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Been in China 3 years now. No plans on leaving in the next year or 2 so I guess that is recommendation in itself. I personally love it here. Yes, there are things that will annoy you, but you get used those. Though in saying that, quite a few people don't, but that's mainly down to their personality. If you're down to earth and open minded you'll have a great time.

You'll enjoy Hangzhou, it's a nice city. Plenty of other expats and access to amenities that you'll be used too from home. I live in a similar size city, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere bigger. Visiting the likes of Beijing and Shanghai is enough for me.

As for what to bring, you don't really need to bring an awful lot to be honest. If you like your cups of tea, bring a couple boxes with you. Summers are hot everywhere and winters in Hangzhou will be similar to Ireland, so appropriate clothing for that. Download a VPN before you leave. After trying a few different ones I always end up back with Astrill. If you're female, you'll probably want to bring some extra make-up, feminine hygiene products, bra's...as mad as all that sounds. But anything else you can get here. Even if you can't find something in the supermarket, once you've your bank account set up you can start using Taobao (has literally everything).

Hard to put China into a couple of paragraphs to be honest, everyone has a different experience here. If you have more specific questions I'll be more than happy to answer them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Just coming to the end of my first year teaching in China and have loved the experience so far.

Download WeChat on your phone - it's key to doing pretty much everything - paying for groceries, booking a taxi, buying cinema tickets etc etc. It's worth getting 2 VPNs and using one as back up as access to foreign sites can get patchy as certain times of the year. Instant coffee (Nescafé etc) is pretty expensive here so consider packing a couple of jars if you are a coffee drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Boriso

Thanks for the replies. Really looking forward to it, good to hear that you both are enjoying it. I'm fairly laid back/open minded so I'd be confident I'll adjust eventually. Only concern I really have is that I'm going on my own, so I mind find it difficult for the first while until I make some friends.

I'm actually going to be living in Fuyang next to Hangzhou. There's plenty to read on Hangzhou, not so much on Fuyang. Anyone know anything about it?

With regard to specific questions. I want to try and save for a few years in addition to having some fun. How do you both find the cost of living? Is there much scope for saving?, I know its largely dependent on lifestyle/ location. I'll be earning 28000 rmb a month with another 3500 for accommodation.

Whats the standard of accommodation like? Is it possible to live alone or is flat sharing a more realistic option?

And finally, How do you find the social life where you are?

Lots of questions, I know!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Hi everyone, I don't mean to butt in on the original OPs questions but perhaps some of my own queries might help them out too.

Basically, I finished college back in April and I'm working full time at the moment in the area that I studied.

The idea of moving to China and earning a living for a year or two really appeals to me and I have had an online interview that went pretty well. It wasn't really an interview, it was more a questions and answers with the director of a teacher placement company.

Firstly, I'm just wondering if anyone has previously went to China with these guys: (https://www.the-online-teacher.co.uk/) and if so maybe you could tell me what they are like.

Secondly, I have no idea where I want to go in China! Obviously the usual places like Shanghai and Beijing would be nice, but has anyone got any recommendations of other lesser cities that have international vibes, decent night / social life possibilities and decent prospects in terms of quality of life / cost of living.

Ideally I'd be looking to save a few bob while living and working over in China, but I'd obviously like to travel and see a bit of the place too.

Boriso wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Really looking forward to it, good to hear that you both are enjoying it. I'm fairly laid back/open minded so I'd be confident I'll adjust eventually. Only concern I really have is that I'm going on my own, so I mind find it difficult for the first while until I make some friends.

I'm actually going to be living in Fuyang next to Hangzhou. There's plenty to read on Hangzhou, not so much on Fuyang. Anyone know anything about it?

With regard to specific questions. I want to try and save for a few years in addition to having some fun. How do you both find the cost of living? Is there much scope for saving?, I know its largely dependent on lifestyle/ location. I'll be earning 28000 rmb a month with another 3500 for accommodation.

Whats the standard of accommodation like? Is it possible to live alone or is flat sharing a more realistic option?

And finally, How do you find the social life where you are?

Lots of questions, I know!

Thanks again.

You'll be fine, most people who come to China come on their own so that is completely normal. You'll meet teachers at your school and other teachers around the city. Just ask the teachers at your school to add you into any social WeChat groups. You can have a decent social life here once you build up a group of friends. Doesn't matter what city you go to, that always takes a few weeks.

Standard of accommodation varies quite a bit (all apartments). But since you are getting a housing allowance, you can choose one that you like. No need to share. For 3,500, and considering you're not in Hangzhou proper, you'll get something very nice for that. My rent is 3,500 in the center of Dalian, 2 bedroom apartment 115 sqm. It's not a new building, but the apartment itself is immaculate. Newer, more modern buildings always cost a bit more.

Salary wise, that is pretty high. I'm guessing you're a qualified teacher in Ireland. Assuming that is before tax, which in that case means you'll pay roughly 4,000 RMB a month in tax (your housing allowance will also be taxed). You can save a hell of a lot of money. Assuming your take home salary is about 24k, you'll be hard pushed to spend 9k a month unless you go mad buying things. So you could save 15k a month without even trying. I probably spend about 7k a month. That includes bills, transport (mainly Didi's lol, which are like Uber), food for lunch every day, eating out in the evening 4-5 times a week, few beers a couple times a week. I don't try to save.

Any other questions please let me know.

• Advertisement

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I don't mean to butt in on the original OPs questions but perhaps some of my own queries might help them out too.

Basically, I finished college back in April and I'm working full time at the moment in the area that I studied.

The idea of moving to China and earning a living for a year or two really appeals to me and I have had an online interview that went pretty well. It wasn't really an interview, it was more a questions and answers with the director of a teacher placement company.

Firstly, I'm just wondering if anyone has previously went to China with these guys: (https://www.the-online-teacher.co.uk/) and if so maybe you could tell me what they are like.

Secondly, I have no idea where I want to go in China! Obviously the usual places like Shanghai and Beijing would be nice, but has anyone got any recommendations of other lesser cities that have international vibes, decent night / social life possibilities and decent prospects in terms of quality of life / cost of living.

Ideally I'd be looking to save a few bob while living and working over in China, but I'd obviously like to travel and see a bit of the place too.

Never heard of that company, but yeah they are basically a recruitment agency that find teachers for certain schools in China. They're quite common here as many schools struggle to find their own teachers, so they basically pay companies such as the one you listed to find them candidates. Nothing wrong with that, but I would google some reviews. However, at the end of the day all that matters is the school you end up going to. Before you choose one, insist on speaking to a current teacher at the school. Otehrwise you'll be going in blind...which could go either way.

As for cities, I personally would not live in Beijing or Shanghai. Nice places to visit, but far too big and hectic for me. I always prefer the 'mid-sized' cities, but just my personal preference.

Do some research on Xi'an, Suzhou, Dalian, Chengdu, Qingdao, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Nanjing, Chongqing. All nice cities with decent sized foreign community and good social life. There's more, but start with that :D

Never heard of that company, but yeah they are basically a recruitment agency that find teachers for certain schools in China. They're quite common here as many schools struggle to find their own teachers, so they basically pay companies such as the one you listed to find them candidates. Nothing wrong with that, but I would google some reviews. However, at the end of the day all that matters is the school you end up going to. Before you choose one, insist on speaking to a current teacher at the school. Otehrwise you'll be going in blind...which could go either way.

As for cities, I personally would not live in Beijing or Shanghai. Nice places to visit, but far too big and hectic for me. I always prefer the 'mid-sized' cities, but just my personal preference.

Do some research on Xi'an, Suzhou, Dalian, Chengdu, Qingdao, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Nanjing, Chongqing. All nice cities with decent sized foreign community and good social life. There's more, but start with that :D

Thanks a million for your response. I’ve just heard back from the agency and they’re not actually looking for teachers in Shanghai or Beijing.

Qingdao, Wuhan and Dalian are three cities that have vacancies that I am considering at the moment.

Other cities that are options are Nanchang, Zhengzhou, Changsha, Dan-yang, Nanyang and Shijiazhuang.

Thanks a million for your response. I’ve just heard back from the agency and they’re not actually looking for teachers in Shanghai or Beijing.

Qingdao, Wuhan and Dalian are three cities that have vacancies that I am considering at the moment.

Other cities that are options are Nanchang, Zhengzhou, Changsha, Dan-yang, Nanyang and Shijiazhuang.

Qingdao and Dalian are great options. Wuhan is also cool, but being in central China the summers will be extremely hot and humid. With Qingdao and Dalian you get a bit of a breeze as they are coastal. Nanchang would be a decent sized city, but I haven't been there.

Avoid Zhengzhou and Shijiazhuang. Changsha is nice, but similar to Wuhan in that it gets super hot.

Another issue with Wuhan and Changsha is that they are in the southern half of China (though just barely). This means there is no mandatory government heating in the winter. I spent a year in a city near Changsha and the winter was not pleasant. Temperatures would be similar to Ireland, as in cold but not many days below 0 degrees...but with no heating. Most air cons here have a heat setting, but it's not enough to heat the whole apartment. You'd need to buy a small heater to keep beside you. Qingdao and Dalian have heating.

If you're looking for a decent sized modern (clean) city, then focus on Dalian and Qingdao out of the ones you listed. I've actually just moved from Dalian after spending 3 years there, so if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them for you. There's a few Irish people there, and a couple of Irish bars :D Both owned by Irish guys. Great city for your first time in China.

The agency rang me today and said that they've now got vacancies at a school in Shanghai, myself and a friend have been offered a place.

Total salary, which includes 2,500 RMB for rent, is 18,500 RMB per month after tax.

Would that be enough cash to live comfortably enough and to save a bit of money if living in a half-decent part of Shanghai?

Myself and my pal will obviously be sharing an apartment and day-to-day costs.

EPKidscool is the name of the school, they don't seem to be that active on social media but it looks pretty legit.

You should be aiming for a higher wage in Shanghai as it is quite expensive to live there. Also this seems to be a training centre so you probably won't have much holidays.

Their website mentions you will work at different locations around the city, which is not ideal and also potentially illegal. Your residence permit is tied to your place of employment and I've heard of people being deported for working at a different branch of the same company. There is a big clampdown at the moment and that factor alone would be a big no no for me.

Have you tried various Facebook groups? Teaching Jobs in China has plenty jobs advertised there. Red Brick and Pacific Bridge recruitment are decent recruiters who could find you a place in a private bilingual school.

• Advertisement

shteve wrote: »
    You should be aiming for a higher wage in Shanghai as it is quite expensive to live there. Also this seems to be a training centre so you probably won't have much holidays.

Their website mentions you will work at different locations around the city, which is not ideal and also potentially illegal. Your residence permit is tied to your place of employment and I've heard of people being deported for working at a different branch of the same company. There is a big clampdown at the moment and that factor alone would be a big no no for me.

Have you tried various Facebook groups? Teaching Jobs in China has plenty jobs advertised there. Red Brick and Pacific Bridge recruitment are decent recruiters who could find you a place in a private bilingual school.

Cheers for the feedback, I have until Friday to decide if I want to take this position.

The recruitment agency has told me that its a new centre and that I would only be working in that one. I don't fancy needing to travel around a city as large as Shanghai for different classes.

Would I really be able to get a better offer in terms of money? I haven't even done a TEFL yet which is something this school is offering to pay for.

The holidays don't seem great. 3 days paid annual leave, along with eleven bank holidays or something like that.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers for the feedback, I have until Friday to decide if I want to take this position.

The recruitment agency has told me that its a new centre and that I would only be working in that one. I don't fancy needing to travel around a city as large as Shanghai for different classes.

Would I really be able to get a better offer in terms of money? I haven't even done a TEFL yet which is something this school is offering to pay for.

The holidays don't seem great. 3 days paid annual leave, along with eleven bank holidays or something like that.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Don't be rushed into accepting the offer. Join some Facebook groups, research some other recruitment agencies, check out Echinacities website (like a Craigslist of job postings) first.

If you decide to go with the offer, double check your contract for any unusual clauses. Also check the Chinese version as the Chinese wording will take precedence. Get in contact with a foreign teacher at the school and get some inside information about what the school is like etc.

A TEFL course, unless it's something like a CELTA, is a box ticking exercise. You can purchase a Groupon course for 50 quid and it will suffice.

Wow 3 annual leave days is crazy!!! I think other training centres like First Leap etc generally give at least 10 days. Bank holidays in China are done differently and sometimes you may be required to "work up" the days. Again, you would need to check this. Private schools in comparison should have better holidays (usually a month off in winter & 2 months off in the summer with pay).

Don't be rushed into accepting the offer. Join some Facebook groups, research some other recruitment agencies, check out Echinacities website (like a Craigslist of job postings) first.

If you decide to go with the offer, double check your contract for any unusual clauses. Also check the Chinese version as the Chinese wording will take precedence. Get in contact with a foreign teacher at the school and get some inside information about what the school is like etc.

A TEFL course, unless it's something like a CELTA, is a box ticking exercise. You can purchase a Groupon course for 50 quid and it will suffice.

Wow 3 annual leave days is crazy!!! I think other training centres like First Leap etc generally give at least 10 days. Bank holidays in China are done differently and sometimes you may be required to "work up" the days. Again, you would need to check this. Private schools in comparison should have better holidays (usually a month off in winter & 2 months off in the summer with pay).

I think you’re right to be honest. I’ve sent a reply to the recruitment agency asking for another offer.

I’m 100% set on going but not going to make a rash decision on a whim.

Are you teaching in China at the moment?

I think you’re right to be honest. I’ve sent a reply to the recruitment agency asking for another offer.

I’m 100% set on going but not going to make a rash decision on a whim.

Are you teaching in China at the moment?

Yeah, I've just finished my first year in China and really enjoy it out here. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

The agency rang me today and said that they've now got vacancies at a school in Shanghai, myself and a friend have been offered a place.

Total salary, which includes 2,500 RMB for rent, is 18,500 RMB per month after tax.

Would that be enough cash to live comfortably enough and to save a bit of money if living in a half-decent part of Shanghai?

Myself and my pal will obviously be sharing an apartment and day-to-day costs.

EPKidscool is the name of the school, they don't seem to be that active on social media but it looks pretty legit.

Yeah that salary is low if it includes housing allowance, which will set you back at least 6,000 RMB a month in a half decent part of Shanghai, probably more. Though sharing with your pal will help. As Shteve has mentioned, get another offer. That salary in a Tier 2 city would go much further, and is definitely attainable given the current market for teachers here.

Advertisement