Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thank you for admitting that your graph was wrong. I have made plenty of mistakes myself in the past so won’t hold it against you

What I am concerned about is that you still didn’t change your mind. You posted a graph showing that climate projections were overstating warming as evidence for your belief, you were shown that the graph was wrong and the projections in the models were actually very accurate, but you still don’t want to accept the evidence.

The problem with climate change is that by the time we have enough observable evidence that the models were right, it’s too late to fix the problem. At some point we need to trust that climate scientists know what they are doing, and that point was years ago, not years from now

This is why I keep saying that ‘the science is settled’
    It’s not that every single question has been answered, it’s that we have enough scientific evidence to know we need to act to avoid dangerous climate change. The question then becomes what actions are realistic on the scale required to make a difference.

Gaoth Laidir. You’re no fool. You must be starting to doubt things you used to argue for, like climate sensitivity being less than half a degree C by now?

It’s ok to change your mind when you’re convinced by the best available evidence.

As I have said on here many times,I think individual action is no longer anywhere close to enough to prevent disaster. I have been consistently advocating global multilateral strategies to deliberately transition to carbon neutral economies.

You can’t vote with your wallet to stop dangerous climate change, you need to vote with your vote, and act with your voice, and your conscience, and be prepared to take a little bit of pain to facilitate a transition to a sustainable global economy, which is the only chance we have of prospering beyond the next few generations

I'm not going to change get my mind based on 5 years of data that are in the middle of the spread when the previous 9 were consistently below it. There is still a massive spread in the estimation of climate sensitivity, and this spread is not getting any narrower as the science allegedly becomes more "settled". If anything it's become wider.

I don't go for your hyperbole in the last paragraph, but by all means live in fear if you want. You say be prepared to take a little bit of pain, yet you also admit to not changing your own lifestyle one bit as one man can make no difference. It's all a bit melodramatic and editorial-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just for perspective. It’s taken a year for 2 million people to die from Covid, and this has shut down the global economy ( and rightly so)

We’re getting ever closer to unsurvivable heatwaves in heavily populated parts of the world

What happens when 5 million people die suddenly in a week when WB temps go above 37c and the power grid fails

That’s a genuine question by the way

Millions of people, women, men, children, dying suddenly in a short space of time because their bodies cannot cool down because the air is warmer than their skin. Power grids aren’t designed to take that A/C load, so there will be brownouts and failures. Not only poor people die, but people who thought they had prepared and mitigated for such events are killed too

It might start as a once off ‘extreme’ event

But what happens when it happens again and millions more die

Suddenly the cost of geoengineering seems small compared to millions of innocent people dropping dead in a horrific slow motion car crash

I'm not going to change get my mind based on 5 years of data that are in the middle of the spread when the previous 9 were consistently below it. There is still a massive spread in the estimation of climate sensitivity, and this spread is not getting any narrower as the science allegedly becomes more "settled". If anything it's become wider.

I don't go for your hyperbole in the last paragraph, but by all means live in fear if you want. You say be prepared to take a little bit of pain, yet you also admit to not changing your own lifestyle one bit as one man can make no difference. It's all a bit melodramatic and editorial-like.
    It’s not 5 years of data, it’s 200 years of data

This is almost the typical definition of cherry-picking

The spread on climate sensitivity is absolutely narrowing. No sane person thinks it’s .5c now when we’re at more than double that already without even doubling atmosphere CO2

Not even Ray Bates would defend his climate sensitivity position anymore unless you can find a recent paper from him that successfully argues this position

Just for perspective. It’s taken a year for 2 million people to die from Covid, and this has shut down the global economy ( and rightly so)

We’re getting ever closer to unsurvivable heatwaves in heavily populated parts of the world

What happens when 5 million people die suddenly in a week when WB temps go above 37c and the power grid fails

That’s a genuine question by the way

Millions of people, women, men, children, dying suddenly in a short space of time because their bodies cannot cool down because the air is warmer than their skin. Power grids aren’t designed to take that A/C load, so there will be brownouts and failures. Not only poor people die, but people who thought they had prepared and mitigated for such events are killed too

It might start as a once off ‘extreme’ event

But what happens when it happens again and millions more die

Suddenly the cost of geoengineering seems small compared to millions of innocent people dropping dead in a horrific slow motion car crash

Just for perspective, where are you getting your figure of 5 million sudden deaths in a week? Do you have a source for that? The COVID analogy doesn't cut it here but I see why you would want to try to use it to ramp up the hyperbole scale. Comparing an acute global pandemic for which we had no preparation or mitigation tools is a completely different beast to the extremely rare and localised cases of wbt in the mid-30s, and the even lower likelihood of complete power grids suddenly shutting down without warning. There is also a non-zero chance of an asteroid wiping out the planet, in which case none of this would matter, but I don't think we should go around worrying about something like that. But as I said, go ahead and live in that fear if you like.

There are very few locations in the world where wbt gets anywhere close to low-30s, and these are in relatively low population densities, such as the Red Sea or Persian Gulf. With increasing trends towards unshielded (non-Stevenson Screen) stations (such as in the very dense Kuwaiti network) high dry-bulb temperature biases will drag up the wbt, which is calculated from it and not directly measured.

It’s not 5 years of data, it’s 200 years of data

This is almost the typical definition of cherry-picking

The spread on climate sensitivity is absolutely narrowing. No sane person thinks it’s .5c now when we’re at more than double that already without even doubling atmosphere CO2

Not even Ray Bates would defend his climate sensitivity position anymore unless you can find a recent paper from him that successfully argues this position

It's not cherrypicking, it is only 5 years of data that I incorrectly plotted a few tenths too low. It doesn't change the previous record at all. My opinion on that doesn't change.

You now want to go back 200 years? Well why not 300 or 400? That would show that we dipped and then started rising again out of the Little Ice Age, and we've been rising since. Your choice of 200 years now seems to be at odds with the commonly used loose definition of "pre-industrial" of around 150-170 years, but 200 sounds better when accusing someone of cherrypicking 5 years.

The IPCC AR5 was less clear on the range of climate sensitivity than in previous reports. They admit that we are no closer to narrowing in on a more definite figure, despite how settled all this is supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I find it interesting that I asked for a link to data shown in what was a controversial chart so as to be able to check the data myself, which wasn't a big ask, and what did I get? A blank page by way of response. That tells me all I need to know...

New Moon

Just for perspective. It’s taken a year for 2 million people to die from Covid

And It takes just one year for over 9 million people to die of starvation:
    https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article/losing-25000-hunger-every-day#:~:text=Each%20day%2C%2025%2C000%20people%2C%20including,million%20into%20poverty%20and%20hunger.
    and this has shut down the global economy ( and rightly so)
    Why rightly so?

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/3/30/developing-countries-face-economic-collapse-in-covid-19-fight-un

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/18/21212688/coronavirus-lockdowns-developing-world

Very easy to say such things when you are obviously not directly affected. The term 'ivory tower' springs to mind here.

New Moon

Just for perspective, where are you getting your figure of 5 million sudden deaths in a week? Do you have a source for that? The COVID analogy doesn't cut it here but I see why you would want to try to use it to ramp up the hyperbole scale. Comparing an acute global pandemic for which we had no preparation or mitigation tools is a completely different beast to the extremely rare and localised cases of wbt in the mid-30s, and the even lower likelihood of complete power grids suddenly shutting down without warning. There is also a non-zero chance of an asteroid wiping out the planet, in which case none of this would matter, but I don't think we should go around worrying about something like that. But as I said, go ahead and live in that fear if you like.

There are very few locations in the world where wbt gets anywhere close to low-30s, and these are in relatively low population densities, such as the Red Sea or Persian Gulf. With increasing trends towards unshielded (non-Stevenson Screen) stations (such as in the very dense Kuwaiti network) high dry-bulb temperature biases will drag up the wbt, which is calculated from it and not directly measured.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaaw1838
    Here is a study into the prevalence of WB 35c and it warns that this is a risk that has been largely downplayed
    Climate models project the first 35°C TW occurrences by the mid-21st century. However, a comprehensive evaluation of weather station data shows that some coastal subtropical locations have already reported a TW of 35°C and that extreme humid heat overall has more than doubled in frequency since 1979. Recent exceedances of 35°C in global maximum sea surface temperature provide further support for the validity of these dangerously high TW values. We find the most extreme humid heat is highly localized in both space and time and is correspondingly substantially underestimated in reanalysis products. Our findings thus underscore the serious challenge posed by humid heat that is more intense than previously reported and increasingly severe.

Without either evacuation or air conditioning this kind of heatwave would kill a substantial percentage of people caught in it, and at high temperatures power grids lose performance making failures more likely especially if everyone has their air conditioning units on all day and all night

There are a lot coastal of cities and regions with populations greater than 5 million that could be impacted by such an event as global air and sea temperatures continue to rise

bs4JTJj.jpg

New Moon

It's not cherrypicking, it is only 5 years of data that I incorrectly plotted a few tenths too low. It doesn't change the previous record at all. My opinion on that doesn't change.

You now want to go back 200 years? Well why not 300 or 400? That would show that we dipped and then started rising again out of the Little Ice Age, and we've been rising since. Your choice of 200 years now seems to be at odds with the commonly used loose definition of "pre-industrial" of around 150-170 years, but 200 sounds better when accusing someone of cherrypicking 5 years.

The IPCC AR5 was less clear on the range of climate sensitivity than in previous reports. They admit that we are no closer to narrowing in on a more definite figure, despite how settled all this is supposed to be.
    My choice of 200 years was a round number cause I didn’t want to have to go and look up specific dates
    The point stands, that the global warming trend is scientifically demonstrated whether you ho back 50 years, 300 years, 12000 years or 125000 years (this is a study showing that the earth is likely warmer now than it was in the last proper interglacial period despite the fact that there is still ice at both poles all year around)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03155-x

You are placing an emphasis on the few years where there was an apparent pause in warming and ignoring the fact that it spiked again and is continuing the trend. as predicted in the climate models. That is why you are guilty of cherry-picking

And your point that climate sensitivity estimates have widened in AR5 is totally disingenuous given that the uncertainty no longer includes your preference of .5c
    there is high confidence that ECS is extremely unlikely to be less than 1 °C and medium confidence that the ECS is likely between 1.5 °C and 4.5 °C and very unlikely greater than 6 °C".
    The current best science does NOT support Ray Bates assertions on ECS that you have chosen to blindly support
    (Unless you would like to take this opportunity to disavow Bates’ theories here?)

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    bs4JTJj.jpg

Yet another gem that adds absolutely nothing to the discussion
    congratulations

I find it interesting that I asked for a link to data shown in what was a controversial chart so as to be able to check the data myself, which wasn't a big ask, and what did I get? A blank page by way of response. That tells me all I need to know...
    I posted the link twice the first time it worked, but you ignored it, when I reposted it at your request it got broken.

https://crudata.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/HadCRUT5.0Analysis_gl.txt
    There it is again by the way.

The link is to a text document that you needed to download. If you really wanted to find it, you could have either clicked on my first link, or got it yourself by searching for it

What ‘tells me all I need to know’ is that you’re more than capable of finding memes to dump on these discussions, but when it comes to finding actual data you are incapable of looking it up

Why am I not shocked that you’re also an anti lockdown pandemic denialist

My choice of 200 years was a round number cause I didn’t want to have to go and look up specific dates
    The point stands, that the global warming trend is scientifically demonstrated whether you ho back 50 years, 300 years, 12000 years or 125000 years (this is a study showing that the earth is likely warmer now than it was in the last proper interglacial period despite the fact that there is still ice at both poles all year around)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03155-x

You are placing an emphasis on the few years where there was an apparent pause in warming and ignoring the fact that it spiked again and is continuing the trend. as predicted in the climate models. That is why you are guilty of cherry-picking

And your point that climate sensitivity estimates have widened in AR5 is totally disingenuous given that the uncertainty no longer includes your preference of .5c

The current best science does NOT support Ray Bates assertions on ECS that you have chosen to blindly support
    (Unless you would like to take this opportunity to disavow Bates’ theories here?)

"Medium confidence that it's somewhere between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees...and very unlikely to be greater than 6".

You do agree that this medium-confidence 3- or even up to 4.5- degree range of uncertainty is not something that would back up the claim that the science is settled, don't you? With all the guff, I find it very strange that this range has not narrowed since the previous report and they still used language like that. I would sit up and take note if they had saI'd they have high confidence that it's within a 0.5-degree range. Bates' paper (which came out after AR5) is as correct or wrong as those that say it could be a a high as 6 degrees.

We'll never agree on that graph. Over the fifteen years of observations it's still averaging below the ensemble mean, unless you're also cherrypicking just the last 5 years' data too?

The link is to a text document that you needed to downloadt

A link to a text doc with data that I quite clearly and quite obviously didn't ask for. Are you even capable of understanding a basic request?

New Moon

Why am I not shocked that you’re also an anti lockdown pandemic denialist

Nah, I'm not falling for that. This is more just about you being unable to explain your comment.

New Moon

Just for the record, here are the IPCC's statements on Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity (the equilibrium temperature-rise due to a doubling of CO2 from pre-industrial levels (280 ppm -> 560 ppm) over their past three Assessment Reports (spanning 13 years). We're no closer to understanding it now that we were back in then. The 1.5 - 4.5-degree range actually goes back further to the SAR too (1996). Nineteen years and no progress.

Fifth Assessment Report (AR5)
    there is high confidence that ECS is extremely unlikely to be less than 1 °C and medium confidence that the ECS is likely between 1.5 °C and 4.5 °C and very unlikely greater than 6 °C"

Fourth Assessment Report (FAR)
    "likely to be in the range 2 to 4.5°C with a best estimate of about 3°C, and is very unlikely to be less than 1.5°C. Values substantially higher than 4.5°C cannot be excluded, but agreement of models with observations is not as good for those values."

Third Assessment Report (TAR)
    The equilibrium climate sensitivity, that is, the range of the surface air temperature response to a doubling of the atmospheric CO2 concentration, was estimated to be between 1.5 and 4.5°C in the SAR (Kattenberg et al., 1996). That range still encompasses the estimates from the current models in active use.

"Medium confidence that it's somewhere between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees...and very unlikely to be greater than 6".

You do agree that this medium-confidence 3- or even up to 4.5- degree range of uncertainty is not something that would back up the claim that the science is settled, don't you? With all the guff, I find it very strange that this range has not narrowed since the previous report and they still used language like that. I would sit up and take note if they had saI'd they have high confidence that it's within a 0.5-degree range. Bates' paper (which came out after AR5) is as correct or wrong as those that say it could be a a high as 6 degrees.

We'll never agree on that graph. Over the fifteen years of observations it's still averaging below the ensemble mean, unless you're also cherrypicking just the last 5 years' data too?
    Are you going to admit that Ray Bates figure of .5c of ECS is extremely unlikely?

Do you think the most likely ECS of 3c is acceptable? Or should we take action to ensure we do not allow atmospheric CO2 to reach 560ppm

Just for the record, here are the IPCC's statements on Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity (the equilibrium temperature-rise due to a doubling of CO2 from pre-industrial levels (280 ppm -> 560 ppm) over their past three Assessment Reports (spanning 13 years). We're no closer to understanding it now that we were back in then. The 1.5 - 4.5-degree range actually goes back further to the SAR too (1996). Nineteen years and no progress.

Fifth Assessment Report (AR5)
    there is high confidence that ECS is extremely unlikely to be less than 1 °C and medium confidence that the ECS is likely between 1.5 °C and 4.5 °C and very unlikely greater than 6 °C"

Fourth Assessment Report (FAR)
    "likely to be in the range 2 to 4.5°C with a best estimate of about 3°C, and is very unlikely to be less than 1.5°C. Values substantially higher than 4.5°C cannot be excluded, but agreement of models with observations is not as good for those values."

Third Assessment Report (TAR)
    The equilibrium climate sensitivity, that is, the range of the surface air temperature response to a doubling of the atmospheric CO2 concentration, was estimated to be between 1.5 and 4.5°C in the SAR (Kattenberg et al., 1996). That range still encompasses the estimates from the current models in active use.

The biggest change is that earlier estimates left the possibility of very low ECS as advocated by the likes of Bates and Lindzen, and allowed people like you to cling to the idea that climate change could be a storm in a teacup.
    The latest estimates almost completely rule out the possibility of ECS below 1c but still leave open the possibility of ECS between 4.5c and 6c

Do you accept now that an ECS of 1.5c is now the lowest plausible ECS we can expect?

What do you think the most likely value for ECS is in your opinion?

The reason for the wide range of uncertainty is because the Physical direct effect of doubling CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is locked in at about 1c the science behind this is pretty much nailed down already

what is uncertain is the impact of the feedbacks associated with this warming. We do not yet know how fast thermafrosts will thaw, methane will be released from soils and ocean floors, how long it will take for the Arctic to melt fully in summer, exactly how much of an impact forest fires in the tundra will have, dark snow from extra soot changes albedo etc), changes in ocean and atmospheric currents that can drive changes in land use or release/sequester heat in the deep ocean with positive or negative feedbacks etc

Will there be self sustaining tipping points where climate can suddenly flip up a new equilibrium. Many scientists believe this is very likely to be true, but nobody knows what exactly would trigger such a tipping point

There is very active scientific research and debate on the nature and extent of these complex feedbacks and the only certainty we can arrive at, is the more warm the planet, the greater the risk that we may cross event horizons beyond which there is no going back
    F1.medium.gif
    What is the danger that we enter a ‘hothouse earth’ I don’t know how to quantify that risk. What level of risk should we be comfortable with? 50/50? A 1 in 10 chance? 1 in 50?
    What are acceptable odds to gamble the future of our planet?

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/33/8252
    The above paper suggests we could start setting off tipping points at 2c, this is less than the most likely ECS value

This risk is represented in Figs. 1 and 2 by a planetary threshold (horizontal broken line in Fig. 1 on the Hothouse Earth pathway around 2 °C above preindustrial temperature). Beyond this threshold, intrinsic biogeophysical feedbacks in the Earth System (Biogeophysical Feedbacks) could become the dominant processes controlling the system’s trajectory. Precisely where a potential planetary threshold might be is uncertain (15, 16). We suggest 2 °C because of the risk that a 2 °C warming could activate important tipping elements (12, 17), raising the temperature further to activate other tipping elements in a domino-like cascade that could take the Earth System to even higher temperatures (Tipping Cascades). Such cascades comprise, in essence, the dynamical process that leads to thresholds in complex systems (section 4.2 in ref. 18).

Are you going to admit that Ray Bates figure of .5c of ECS is extremely unlikely?

Do you think the most likely ECS of 3c is acceptable? Or should we take action to ensure we do not allow atmospheric CO2 to reach 560ppm

Let's first wait a few months for AR6 to see what the IPCC thought of his report and if it made any difference to their range. I assume they will consider all papers and throw out those they see as "extremely" unlikely.

Three degrees is a significant warming and if it comes to pass then so be it. My point is that we're still no closer to knowing how likely that is after several decades of so-called settled science.

I've always said we should be going to renewable energy sources, regardless of what the climate may or may not do. I still stand by that. That would be a much easier and more worthwhile investment than that crazy geoengineering fantasy that you seem to think could be done at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement

Nah, I'm not falling for that. This is more just about you being unable to explain your comment.

I said the world rightly sacrificed economic activity to try to limit the spread of the virus. Not every country acted quick enough, many delayed action or took half measures

There is more than enough evidence now that countries that took this seriously and acted early with decisive actions to limit the spread of the virus have done the best both economically and in terms of having the lowest economic and social costs

Countries that didn’t act early are getting the worst of all worlds, worst economic impacts, and worst death rates, and longer more drawn out lockdowns when they eventually realize that it’s not actually a choice between protecting the economy and saving lives

The biggest change is that earlier estimates left the possibility of very low ECS as advocated by the likes of Bates and Lindzen, and allowed people like you to cling to the idea that climate change could be a storm in a teacup.
    The latest estimates almost completely rule out the possibility of ECS below 1c but still leave open the possibility of ECS between 4.5c and 6c

Do you accept now that an ECS of 1.5c is now the lowest plausible ECS we can expect?

The reason for the wide range of uncertainty is because the Physical direct effect of doubling CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is locked in at about 1c the science behind this is pretty much nailed down already

what is uncertain is the impact of the feedbacks associated with this warming. We do not yet know how fast thermafrosts will thaw, methane will be released from soils and ocean floors, how long it will take for the Arctic to melt fully in summer, exactly how much of an impact forest fires in the tundra will have, dark snow from extra soot changes albedo etc), changes in ocean and atmospheric currents that can drive changes in land use or release/sequester heat in the deep ocean with positive or negative feedbacks etc

Will there be self sustaining tipping points where climate can suddenly flip up a new equilibrium. Many scientists believe this is very likely to be true, but nobody knows what exactly would trigger such a tipping point

There is very active scientific research and debate on the nature and extent of these complex feedbacks and the only certainty we can arrive at, is the more warm the planet, the greater the risk that we may cross event horizons beyond which there is no going back

What is the danger that we enter a ‘hothouse earth’ I don’t know how to quantify that risk. What level of risk should we be comfortable with? 50/50? A 1 in 10 chance? 1 in 50?

The above paper suggests we could start setting off tipping points at 2c, this is less than the most likely ECS value

:pac: and yet you still claim that the science is settled! (bit in bold ^^)

It does appear that 1.5 is the lowest end of the scale, but you still don't acknowledge that the scale hasn't narrowed on iota despite all the claims and shape-throwing by the IPCC. The fact that the running mean of observations (take 5 years, for example, as I know you love your running means) has only just come back into the middle of the RPC4.5 members after being rooted to the bottom for some still unknown reason confirms this uncertainty and is the reason why I said let's see what way the trend goes from here. If those years continued to shoot upwards towards the higher end and the running mean continues to track the mean or even above it then there will be more evidence of where the ERC may fall. But for now, the evidence has been leaning towards the lower end of the range, not up between 4.5-6.0, as you always love to focus on.

Let's first wait a few months for AR6 to see what the IPCC thought of his report and if it made any difference to their range. I assume they will consider all papers and throw out those they see as "extremely" unlikely.

Three degrees is a significant warming and if it comes to pass then so be it. My point is that we're still no closer to knowing how likely that is after several decades of so-called settled science.

I've always said we should be going to renewable energy sources, regardless of what the climate may or may not do. I still stand by that. That would be a much easier and more worthwhile investment than that crazy geoengineering fantasy that you seem to think could be done at the drop of a hat.

I don’t think we need to wait for AR6. AR5 has already stated this position and I can not see any new evidence to support any IRIS effect that has any significance, and especially not a strong enough effect to overwhelm the greenhouse effect from the increase in CO2 effect and every other positive feedback

I agree on investing in renewables, in fact I’ve been banging on about it on this forum for years, and do not support geoengineering. As I’ve already said, geoengineering is a last gasp admission of failure when faced with a choice extremely costly impacts, or extremely costly mitigation

The speed at which we can transition to zero carbon is intrinsically tied to government policies to tackle climate change, government action has been far too slow and the later they leave it, the more expensive it will become

:pac: and yet you still claim that the science is settled! (bit in bold ^^)
    Can you tell me what you think people mean when they say ‘the science is settled’

It does appear that 1.5 is the lowest end of the scale, but you still don't acknowledge that the scale hasn't narrowed on iota despite all the claims and shape-throwing by the IPCC. The fact that the running mean of observations (take 5 years, for example, as I know you love your running means) has only just come back into the middle of the RPC4.5 members after being rooted to the bottom for some still unknown reason confirms this uncertainty and is the reason why I said let's see what way the trend goes from here. If those years continued to shoot upwards towards the higher end and the running mean continues to track the mean or even above it then there will be more evidence of where the ERC may fall. But for now, the evidence has been leaning towards the lower end of the range, not up between 4.5-6.0, as you always love to focus on.

The most likely is 3c which is an extremely dangerous level of warming by itself and a state that ought to be avoided. The fact that 4.5c and even 6 c are within the plausible range at all means we should be even more concerned and take very decisive action to reduce that risk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

F1.medium.gif

I note you have once again reverted to the use of near apocalyptic terminology on climate change and the end of times as favoured by the screamers in Extinction Rebellion and others.

I posted on this when you previously went down the same rabbit hole. No change there.

It remains that the IPCC has stated that - "a 'runaway greenhouse effect'—analogous to [that of] Venus—appears to have virtually no chance of being induced by anthropogenic activities."

IPCC current thinking on "Tipping Points" is that the precise levels of climate change sufficient to trigger a tipping point, remain uncertain.

As for the Hothouse Earth” scenario

This from Professor Richard Betts, Climate scientist University of Exeter
    Another is that (the use of the term - Hothouse Earth)

The term "Hothouse " describes a scientific climatic extreme. The popularity of the term is growing because it allows for some to use it as a "dramatic narrative" and not surprisingly this has led to this term being used in some sensationalist articles to describe a largely doomsday scenario
    "With some exceptions, much of the highest-profile coverage of the essay presents the scenario as definite and imminent. The impression is given that 2°C is a definite “point of no return”, and that beyond that the “hothouse” scenario will rapidly arrive.
    Many articles ignore the caveats that the 2°C threshold is extremely uncertain, and that even if it were correct, the extreme conditions would not occur for centuries or millennia.

https://theconversation.com/hothouse-earth-heres-what-the-science-actually-does-and-doesnt-say-101341

*Richard Betts is Head of Climate Impacts Research at the Met Office Hadley Centre in addition to his role at the University of Exeter. He receives funding from the UK government department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), and from the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). He was director of the European Union-funded project HELIX (High-End cLimate Impacts and eXtremes) which supported the contribution of Tim Lenton as a co-author of the paper by Steffen et al discussed in this article.

Can you tell me what you think people mean when they say ‘the science is settled’

Hmmm, I'm not sure anymore. They say it's "unequivocal" that we are greatly affecting the climate, with almost every weather event now being automatically attributed to this, yet on the other hand they're still not sure to what extent we're affecting it because they still don't know how much our actions up to now have affected it so they can't know how much we will affect it in the future because the possible range is multiples of the alleged affect we've already had. It's all very confusing...:confused:

The most likely is 3c which is an extremely dangerous level of warming by itself and a state that ought to be avoided. The fact that 4.5c and even 6 c are within the plausible range at all means we should be even more concerned and take very decisive action to reduce that risk

Well "the most likely" depends knowing how we've affected it up to now, which, if you understood my rambling sentence above, is anything but pinned down. It could be closer to the 1.5 end, given that we saw a sizeable period of observations on the low end. We could see an equally sizeable period on the high end, who knows, but for now it's still anything but "settled".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

A link to a text doc with data that I quite clearly and quite obviously didn't ask for. Are you even capable of understanding a basic request?

You actually did ask for it:rolleyes:
    I find it interesting that I asked for a link to data shown in what was a controversial chart so as to be able to check the data myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Earth had a "Hothouse" climate before back in the Cretaceous period so it's not a new term. the opposite side of that coin is what's known as an "Icehouse" scenario and this happened back in the Pleistocene. Could it either happen again, yes I suppose, how likely are they to happen I don't know.

gozunda wrote: »
    I note you have once again reverted to the use of near apocalyptic terminology on climate change and the end of times as favoured by the screamers in Extinction Rebellion and others.

I posted on this when you previously went down the same rabbit hole. No change there.

It remains that the IPCC has stated that - "a 'runaway greenhouse effect'—analogous to [that of] Venus—appears to have virtually no chance of being induced by anthropogenic activities."
    Venus average surface temps are about 480c
    We don’t need to worry about getting anywhere near Venus, we’ll be cooked way before then

Runaway climate change of only 5c to 10c would be enough to melt every glacier and ice cap and raise sea levels by hundreds of feet within a few centuries.

You might not like the language but apocalyptic would not be unreasonable
    Ireland would change from an island to an archipelago
    IPCC current thinking on "Tipping Points" is that the precise levels of climate change sufficient to trigger a tipping point, remain uncertain.
    Is this supposed to be a rebuttal?
    If you’re driving on an icy road and your grip levels are ‘uncertain’ does this mean you should be extra careful, or less careful?

If you read my post, I said the tipping points are uncertain but the risks only increase the higher temperatures rise, so to reduce the risk, we need to keep temperature increases as low as we can
    As for the Hothouse Earth” scenario

This from Professor Richard Betts, Climate scientist University of Exeter

The term "Hothouse " describes a scientific climatic extreme. The popularity of the term is growing because it allows for some to use it as a "dramatic narrative" and not surprisingly this has led to this term being used in some sensationalist articles to describe a largely doomsday scenario
    I look forward to Richard Betts’ peer reviewed paper where he demonstrates that the PNAS paper is ‘a dramatic narrative’ cause until he does the scientific analysis his opinion is not scientific data

If you have a link to such a paper, please post it here
    I’m sure he’s written something given that it’s more than 2 years since the hothouse earth paper was published

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'm not sure anymore. They say it's "unequivocal" that we are greatly affecting the climate, with almost every weather event now being automatically attributed to this, yet on the other hand they're still not sure to what extent we're affecting it because they still don't know how much our actions up to now have affected it so they can't know how much we will affect it in the future because the possible range is multiples of the alleged affect we've already had. It's all very confusing...:confused:

Well "the most likely" depends knowing how we've affected it up to now, which, if you understood my rambling sentence above, is anything but pinned down. It could be closer to the 1.5 end, given that we saw a sizeable period of observations on the low end. We could see an equally sizeable period on the high end, who knows, but for now it's still anything but "settled".
    You’re confusing yourself needlessly

It is confusing for people new to this ‘debate’ but you’ve been here long enough to know the context around this statement.

When anyone says the ‘science is settled’ in the context of climate change, they are only referring to one single question. The question of whether Anthropogenic Climate Change is real or not. In
    other contexts you could say “the science is Settled “ in relation to the ‘great debate’ in quantum physics, or evolution, or plate tectonics’

It means the existential debate is over, refusing to accept ‘ the consensus’ is now science denialism

We can know plate tectonics is real without having to know when every earthquake or volcanic eruption will occur. We can say evolution is true without knowing every detail relating to epigenitics or Speciation

That is the singular question that ‘the science is settled’ is an answer for.

If you believe AGW is real, then you agree with the ‘settled’ side of the argument if you still think it’s a conspiracy or that there isn’t enough evidence to say this isn’t natural variability then you should disagree with that statement but you’re on extremely dodgy territory given the overwhelming scientific evidence that the greenhouse effect is real and humans are driving up CO2 concentrations in our atmosphere

Nobody who has ever said ‘the science is settled’ means all science is settled, or that no further uncertainty exists, or that we should stop studying and researching because we already know everything

It ONLY means that serious people need to move on from Debating the reality of AGW

Advertisement