12-01-2021, 18:09   #1

Spring 2021 General Discussion

I know it's early to start this thread but in fairness the winter thread was started in August so......

Last spring was one of the best ever - basically 2-3 months of sunshine and very little rain, resulting in a hosepipe ban. Followed by one of the dullest, wettest summers.

There is still plenty of winter left but I just want to start some early discussion on this spring, predictions, etc.

I would like a nice dry spring to give the ground a chance to dry out - it's been saturated since last June.
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 11:43   #2

A repeat of last year's glorious spring, surely can't happen again. One of the three months will be very cold and wet this time, probably April.
13-01-2021, 11:49   #3
sryanbruen

Yes, no doubt we will be paying back big time for our wonderful spring last year. Summer can only be better surely.
13-01-2021, 13:30   #4

I thought that last year's awful summer was the payback for the spring. something tells me that we will get another dry spring, I just have that feeling.

I'd also love a cold spell in mid-march like 2018 which gave a significant dusting of snow, this was well after the BFTE event.

Whatever happens will happen - we'll have to wait and see.
13-01-2021, 13:41   #5
nacho libre

Given the effects of a SSW can have an impact on the troposphere for a long while. Also if the Vortex does not fully recover and we get future warmings, it would not surprise me if we end up with a delayed spring. It would be typical if, after chasing a cold spell in the heart of winter, we end up with a notable cold spell towards the end of winter.
Advertisement
16-01-2021, 13:43   #6
highdef

I for one would take a poor spring if a good summer followed. Last year's Spring season was fantastic and very welcomed but there's nothing better than proper blazing sunshine with temperatures nudging 30° during the months of June, July and August often resulting in those balmy nights where one can sit outside in comfort after sunset.

Personally, I'm a lover of heat and sunshine and no matter how hot it can get in this country, it always feels pleasant to me. I do like a cool bedroom though so I have an airconditioner there.
16-01-2021, 13:49   #7
Billcarson

Wouldn't be surprised if this spring is the complete opposite to last yr. Cold and often unsettled.
Thanks from:
16-01-2021, 13:54   #8
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
This Spring could have a very active Atlantic period contained within it with plenty of rain or showers. There may be one or two cold snaps in March or even April. Not expecting this Spring to play out anything like last year's wonderful Spring which really was our summer.
16-01-2021, 14:07   #9
esposito

As mentioned above by Highdef I would prefer a crap Spring if it meant having a great Summer. Last summer was a horror show imo
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2021, 14:15   #10
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by esposito View Post
As mentioned above by Highdef I would prefer a crap Spring if it meant having a great Summer. Last summer was a horror show imo
I'm not sure it is possible to have a summer as bad as 2020 again. First week of June was decent and it went downhill very quickly and didn't recover until the start of September. The worst thing about Summer 2020 wasn't the low temperatures or the deluges from mid June to early August but the complete lack of sunshine throughout July and August. It has to be better in 2021 in terms of sunshine at least.

Getting back to Spring it is possible March could be quite cold, especially if February turns out to be a cold and blocked month. If this happens it could spill over into March.
(2) thanks from:
16-01-2021, 17:50   #11

Last summer was awful, it was just constantly wet all the time. I'm hoping we'll get a sunny dry spell at some point in either spring or summer. As I said in the original post, the ground has been saturated since basically last June, it never got a chance to dry out because of constant rain over the summer, and it's never able to dry out in winter.
16-01-2021, 18:12   #12
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esposito View Post
It was and will make this winter feel even longer than normal
Thanks from:
16-01-2021, 22:55   #13
nacho libre

Well if the CFS is to be believed spring could be delayed
16-01-2021, 23:25   #14
John.Icy

I'd put my 5 euro on a bitter and snowy March and below average April. May being alright before a brilliant summer.
16-01-2021, 23:27   #15
pad199207

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Icy View Post
I'd put my 5 euro on a bitter and snowy March and below average April. May being alright before a brilliant summer.
2018 so?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion