28-11-2012, 08:55   #1
RangeR

Constitutional Convention

Couldn't think of another place top post this and couldn't see another thread on the subject.

Anyone willing to say if they are one of the 66? I'm starting to hear a little chatter on the media airwaves over the past while.
Advertisement
28-11-2012, 18:15   #2
Scofflaw

Needs somewhat more explanation! From the IT:

Quote:
Next Saturday the members of the constitutional convention will meet in Dublin. The convention comes out of the last general election campaign, in which all parties committed to reforming the political system.

Potentially one of the most interesting reforms is the way in which future changes to the Constitution might be proposed. Whereas normally the government of the day proposes changes put to the people in a referendum, the convention gives some power of proposal to an assembly of 66 ordinary citizens and 33 elected politicians (from the Oireachtas and the Northern Ireland Assembly).

In setting up the convention the Oireachtas passed a motion to allow it to look at eight topics, including the provision for same-sex marriage, the position of women in Irish society, a number of changes to the political system and removing the offence of blasphemy.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327094228.html

Hence "one of the 66".

cordially,
Scofflaw
(2) thanks from:
28-11-2012, 20:53   #3
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
why are politicians from the north being given a say in our constitution? Seems a bit off, unless one of the goals is the adoption of it by Northern Ireland?
28-11-2012, 21:23   #4
expectationlost

it will be so ineffectual it hard to get upset over

anyway the point of randyr post is that 66 public members can be anonymous http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326607475.html

i don't know if i'd like to picked and then have my life scrutinised by the papers...
Thanks from:
01-12-2012, 11:23   #5

I was one of the 66 but I pulled out last week after. When I was asked to do it the whole idea was that is was anonymous and we could state our opinion. Then it suddenly became that the entire thing was going to be shown on the internet if you spoke and your name and details would be placed in the paper.
I know people are going on about who are these people all the time and they are probably political appointees and friends of politicians. I am neither. In July I was asked to fill out a survey by B and A. The guy told me they were having problems getting people to sign up as people wouldn't commit a weekend a month for one year.
Everyone is saying that they need to be named in order for the Convention to be transparent. However, it was originally stated as more of an informed survey of the nation.
Having read comments and rather horrible stuff about the individuals I am glad I pulled out. The 66 are getting a bad name because of the 33 politicians. The difference is the 66 are not paid for what they are doing and they are being villainised to an extent in the media.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2012, 12:37   #6
Stabshauptmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
why are politicians from the north being given a say in our constitution? Seems a bit off, unless one of the goals is the adoption of it by Northern Ireland?
Obviously the people who set up the convention had a greater appreciation of Irish history, the current political landscape, and were less narrow minded than you.
01-12-2012, 14:35   #7
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenceisfoo View Post
I was one of the 66 but I pulled out last week after. When I was asked to do it the whole idea was that is was anonymous and we could state our opinion. Then it suddenly became that the entire thing was going to be shown on the internet if you spoke and your name and details would be placed in the paper.
I know people are going on about who are these people all the time and they are probably political appointees and friends of politicians. I am neither. In July I was asked to fill out a survey by B and A. The guy told me they were having problems getting people to sign up as people wouldn't commit a weekend a month for one year.
Everyone is saying that they need to be named in order for the Convention to be transparent. However, it was originally stated as more of an informed survey of the nation.
Having read comments and rather horrible stuff about the individuals I am glad I pulled out. The 66 are getting a bad name because of the 33 politicians. The difference is the 66 are not paid for what they are doing and they are being villainised to an extent in the media.
The constitution is the important basic document of our state, upon which every other institution, law and procedure is based. Being involved - even in a slight way - with drafting its reform *is* a public role. If you're not comfortable with taking on that public role, then you did the right thing excusing yourself from it.

For my own part, I find the secrecy around who is involved in the convention to be deeply disturbing. I couldn't care less about the personal lives of the people involved, but it bothers me that they're too ashamed to stand over their own actions in the convention even in a large group where they could disavow personal responsibility. Secrecy in policy-making has always led to bad outcomes in Ireland. The only saving grace for this convention may be that its ineffectual as well as badly conceived - other than removing the ridiculous blasphemy ban its difficult to see what they can do that's useful, but a lot they can do that's harmful.

The real shame will be that FG will think "Well, that's the reform sorted out - now back to dividing up the spoils of victory!"
(3) thanks from:
01-12-2012, 16:09   #8
hmmm

The lack of publicity and information is a huge mistake here. These people are going to recommend fundamental changes to the Constitution, and the general public are mostly unaware of the Convention. This thread should have a 1000 posts on it by now.
(3) thanks from:
01-12-2012, 16:20   #9

I don't think their power is very great to be honest. They vote on a particular issue which is then written up in a report and sent to the Government who then make a decision whether to proceed with a referendum or not. Ultimately it is still coming down to the Government making the decisions. Personally I think the convention is an exercise in futility.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2012, 17:42   #10
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenceisfoo View Post
Personally I think the convention is an exercise in futility.
It will be if it is undersold. We could have easily used a process like this
http://gigaom.com/europe/icelanders-...-constitution/
01-12-2012, 21:00   #11
RangeR

I am one of the 66. I'm looking for your vote.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2012, 02:48   #12
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabshauptmann View Post
Obviously the people who set up the convention had a greater appreciation of Irish history, the current political landscape, and were less narrow minded than you.
like it or not the north is a separate state and should not have an input into our constitution no more than England of France or anyone else.
(2) thanks from:
02-12-2012, 03:04   #13
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Saw Gerry was wearing shades when being interviewed on the RTE news last night. Maybe his eyesight is failing (like his memory)?

Is there public access to the convention? If not, there should be.
Thanks from:
02-12-2012, 07:02   #14
RangeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel View Post
Is there public access to the convention? If not, there should be.
All plenary sessions are streamed live on www.constitution.ie. Actual round table talks are in private.
Thanks from:
02-12-2012, 18:27   #15
expectationlost

anyway they say that... Agreement to disclose names and general geographic area - 66 citizen members. All contact should be via the Constutional Convention

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion