12-06-2011, 09:31   #1
Laminations

Ban RIP threads in Politics

Are they not against forum charter anyway? There is no point of discussion and no opinion usually given in the OP. They more likely stem from a twitter like post announcing a death, followed by pages of posters parroting RIP. There are better ways to show your condolences and certainly more appropriate ways - like signing the book of condolences for example.

I'm an ardent anti FF poster, I think they've been disastrous for this country but I can still obviously see the sadness in a death. Brian Lenihan was a nice guy, personally and politically, but his decisions within government and the FF party have been detrimental to our sovereign and economic standing. I would however NEVER welcome his death - he is not in the same league or even the same game as Osama bin Laden. It is sad for his family and friends and anyone who knows what a bastard cancer is.

But RIP threads serve little purpose on a politics forum. Even a deaths and notices stick thread where people can thank an announcement to share their condolences would seem more appropriate, and I often think people rush to announce deaths on here to morbidly 'collect' thanks.

Previously other types of monotone threads have been started by posters on a topic and periodically supported by mods. An example being the 'positive things FF has done'. I can remember being warned when actually debating these positives by introducing counteracting negative policies which outweigh those positives. Threads need to allow for debate, so in the FF example it's better to debate all of the actions of The party (on a particular topic) and then weigh up the positives and negatives.

I don't really agree with cutting critical threads the very minute someone dies but on this forum it seems more appropriate to discuss a politicians legacy / their constituency work / their agreements and disagreements with party line etc.. and in the case of Brian Lenihan, the state of cancer care and the funding of cancer research in this country would be a nice topic. So by all means say 'RIP', acknowledge the human side to political life but please add some content to your post and not revise the past political careers of now dead politicians to paint them as great thinkers and patriots.

Discuss.
Advertisement
12-06-2011, 09:36   #2
racso1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminations View Post
Are they not against forum charter anyway? There is no point of discussion and no opinion usually given in the OP. They more likely stem from a twitter like post announcing a death, followed by pages of posters parroting RIP. There are better ways to show your condolences and certainly more appropriate ways - like signing the book of condolences for example.

I'm an ardent anti FF poster, I think they've been disastrous for this country but I can still obviously see the sadness in a death. Brian Lenihan was a nice guy, personally and politically, but his decisions within government and the FF party have been detrimental to our sovereign and economic standing. I would however NEVER welcome his death - he is not in the same league or even the same game as Osama bin Laden. It is sad for his family and friends and anyone who knows what a bastard cancer is.

But RIP threads serve little purpose on a politics forum. Even a deaths and notices stick thread where people can thank an announcement to share their condolences would seem more appropriate, and I often think people rush to announce deaths on here to morbidly 'collect' thanks.

Previously other types of monotone threads have been started by posters on a topic and periodically supported by mods. An example being the 'positive things FF has done'. I can remember being warned when actually debating these positives by introducing counteracting negative policies which outweigh those positives. Threads need to allow for debate, so in the FF example it's better to debate all of the actions of The party (on a particular topic) and then weigh up the positives and negatives.

I don't really agree with cutting critical threads the very minute someone dies but on this forum it seems more appropriate to discuss a politicians legacy / their constituency work / their agreements and disagreements with party line etc.. and in the case of Brian Lenihan, the state of cancer care and the funding of cancer research in this country would be a nice topic. So by all means say 'RIP', acknowledge the human side to political life but please add some content to your post and not revise the past political careers of now dead politicians to paint them as great thinkers and patriots.

Discuss.
The above should really be posted in feedback/ site suggestions i fail to see how the banning of rip threads is in anyway political.
Thanks from:
12-06-2011, 09:40   #3
MagicMarker
Banned

If we ban them can we open up an RIP thread for RIP threads?
12-06-2011, 09:49   #4
Laminations

Quote:
Originally Posted by racso1975 View Post
The above should really be posted in feedback/ site suggestions i fail to see how the banning of rip threads is in anyway political.
Good point
12-06-2011, 11:06   #5
AlekSmart

Good post Laminations. +1
Advertisement
12-06-2011, 11:39   #6

+1
RIP threads on controversial figures such as BL cause a lot of work for the mods for a start.

If they are to continue then Laminations idea of a sticky with the option to thank only should be considered, I'd extend that to places like AH as well.
The current RIP thead for BL was a classic example of RIPs being accompanied by complete hyperbole and exaggeration of BL's abilities and past actions which in turn, bait another group of members who, already being assaulted by non-stop tv/radio/newspapers about the greatness of the deceased, feel the need to balance the hyperbole resulting in bans/disruption etc and that old favourite 'have some respect' charge being thrown around.
Quite a large amount of RIP'ers actually ruined that RIP thread by bringing in exultant praise for BL's political decisions based solely on the fact the poor man was suffering with a terminal illness - why they weren't brought to task for that I don't know.

A closed thanks only sticky until the burial of whoever it is that has passed away followed by a legacy thread could be a solution.

I know I felt I had to bite my lip quite a lot since Friday.
Maybe, feedback is the correct place for this thread.
12-06-2011, 11:58   #7
raymon

I agree totally.

Rip threads should not be in a politics debating forum.

Otherwise people will debate politics on the man's grave.
12-06-2011, 12:00   #8

Theres a thread for this sort of thing
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...=97080&page=33
Thanks from:
12-06-2011, 12:28   #9

Completely agree, posted last March in the thread Nodin indicated and didn't get a single reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM_83 again View Post
I'm just wondering, where do the RIP threads really fit in the politics forum? the one currently active does not meat any of the posting a new thread guidelines.

Not meaning to be insensitive but perhaps there would be a more appropriate forum for them?
Advertisement
12-06-2011, 12:29   #10

Well said, Laminations!

Listening to the radio yesterday made me puke...."he was very straight" - yeah luv, let's ignore the claims about Lehmans, cheapest bailouts and the IMF.

I actually posted on FB to counter this somehow, but I merely posted "they say not to speak ill of the dead so I'll say nothing", which, given my opinion of the man's politics, was a mark of respect in itself.

I was flamed by a couple of known supporters, despite my implied restraint.

But the politics forum is meant to be about debate and challenges; and as Laminations said above a simple RIP as a man shouldn't go astray, the delusion cannot go unchallenged, meaning that they create a catch 22.

RIP the man, but his decisions and policies and legacy should not be allowed to be swept under the carpet.

Last edited by Liam Byrne; 12-06-2011 at 12:32.
12-06-2011, 12:55   #11

I dont know. I have always thought that death was just something we do extremely well in Ireland. And perhaps there was more respect for Lenihan as a public figure than you might have imagined, certainly judging by the condolences thread a lot of people respected his commitment to staying on even in ill health, even if they disagreed with his policy.

I do not see why anybody would have a problem with condolences threads. From what I see of my limited time on boards.ie, they are part of the culture here and I cant see why someone would feel such a thread detracts from a forum. I suspect it has a little more to do with not liking the man as opposed to not liking the thread.

Why not just say so?

Last edited by later12; 12-06-2011 at 13:19.
(3) thanks from:
12-06-2011, 13:00   #12
listermint

Thread smacks of 'im not racist but'

either way, its not for this forum and would have thought feedback was the appropriate place as stated above.
12-06-2011, 13:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by later10 View Post
I dont know. I have always thought that death was just something we do extremely well in Ireland. And perhaps there was more respect for Lenihan as a public figure than you might have imagined, certainly judging by the condolences thread a lot of people respected his commitment to staying on even in ill health, even if they disagreed with his policy.

I do not see why anybody would have a problem with condolences threads. From what I see of my limited time on boards.ie, they are part of the culture here and I cant see why someone would feel such a thread detracts from a forum. I suspect it has a little more to do with not liking the man as opposed to not liking the thread.

Why not just say so?
That's a bit unfair, later10.....you're projecting a supposition / assumption that isn't there.

When supporters wax lyrical about non-existent attributes, THEN the thread gets hated, not before.

So it might make sense for the RIPs for the man to be in Humanities or somewhere, excluding all aspects - positive and negative - of the profession and performance.

Last edited by Liam Byrne; 12-06-2011 at 13:28.
Thanks from:
12-06-2011, 14:56   #14
K-9

They probably are a bit pointless but still how hard is it to respect the fact it's a condolence thread.

There have been thousands of threads to lambast him while he was alive and no doubt thousands in the future.

Is it too much to ask for one just to post condolences? So what if a few went overboard with praise? Is it that hard not to get in a last word?

Best approach I think is a RIP and a legacy thread, same happened with Garret.
12-06-2011, 14:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Byrne View Post

When supporters wax lyrical about non-existent attributes, THEN the thread gets hated, not before.
Exactly - so it is about the indivdual, not the actual fact of having an RIP thread, perhaps.

Quote:
So it might make sense for the RIPs for the man to be in Humanities or somewhere, excluding all aspects - positive and negative - of the profession and performance.
Why humanities? Humanities is designed just as much for debate as politics, I would have thought.

For a man who has probably got a mention every day since the crisis deepened here on the politics forum, and whose policies have received so much indepth analysis (nd some not so indepth), I think it is appropriate that those people who have paid so much attention to Brian Lenihan throughout the crisis have some sort of opportunity to offer regret at his death - even if these people were not on Lenihans side of the political fence. Personally I like the fact that the forum offers this opportunity, I do not think politics always has to be about debate and point scoring.

Who really gets offended, or put out, by RIP threads? It isnt as though they clog up the forum.

Last edited by later12; 12-06-2011 at 15:03.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion