Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Folks, where would you play Kieran Bennett?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Folks, where would you play Kieran Bennett?

Probably the half forward line even though I think he is a better wing back because we are desperately short of scoring forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

deisedude wrote: »
    Probably the half forward line even though I think he is a better wing back because we are desperately short of scoring forwards

Midfield with Barron

Id have a half back line of Daly, Prunty and Lyons. Shane Fives staking a big claim for fullback this year. Interesting to see if Cahill sticks him in there v Limerick next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Midfield with Barron

Id have a half back line of Daly, Prunty and Lyons. Shane Fives staking a big claim for fullback this year. Interesting to see if Cahill sticks him in there v Limerick next weekend

Yeah I'd be inclined to agree. in tadhg's absence we need someone to step up for centre back and Prunty looks to me like he could do the job. will be interesting to see if Cahill tries fives back and Prunty centre back in the remaining 3 league games against top opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'll be happy with a solid performance on Sunday against Limerick. The last thing the Waterford squad need is a hammering and Limerick are a team that will do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Last Sunday’s game against Westmeath was mainly an exercise in getting hurling minutes into the legs of as many of the Waterford hurling panel as possible, while again being careful to avoid injury. Between this and the Cork game, 31 players in all have got game time. This leaves just six of the 37-man panel named in the Dungarvan Leader a couple of weeks back who have yet to see any action - Shane Bennett, Jamie Barron, Shane Ryan, Ciarán Kirwan, Thomas Douglas and Darragh Lynch. Some of these may not still be on the panel given the current GAA rules about the size of training panels.

This meant that the game was essentially between Waterford’s second team and Westmeath’s first team. In fact, Westmeath probably had a more experienced team, as the majority of the Waterford team had little or no previous experience of senior intercounty hurling. Westmeath had good basic skills and a well-rehearsed short passing game which they were able to implement given the lack of intensity in what was a half-paced game.

Waterford looked content to maintain a lead of 5-6 points and always had that extra bit of class which they could draw upon as required. This was particularly apparent when, after Westmeath’s late goal, they knocked over three good, well-worked, points in a row to restore their advantage.

While one would not want to read too much into a low-intensity game against this opposition, it is still worthwhile to comment on individual performances, especially of those on the margins of the panel. A lot of people on this board have picked out Shane Fives as a star performer, based mainly on three or four high-profile plays on his part. For me the outstanding performer was Peter Hogan, who put in a very busy shift picking up ball in the middle third and generally moving it on efficiently. He topped the possession count with a total of 19.

Second in line for me was Iarlaith Daly, who had a very effective game at centre back. He performed a very similar role to Limerick’s Declan Hannon, sweeping up behind two big wing backs, and getting possession on 17 occasions. His positioning was good, and he concentrated on simple passes to loose team mates. I was also impressed with his constructive free-taking.

Of the two wing backs, while Kieran Power did okay (and earned three converted frees), I was particularly impressed by Seamus Keating who worked very hard from start to finish (nine possessions in each half) and looked out on his feet in the closing stages. He is big, mobile, and a good striker of the ball, and I especially liked the way he was able to get forward in support of the forwards. He was wing forward in the Dungarvan schools team which won the All-Ireland title in 2013, and his size, pace and ability to win ball could make him a useful forward prospect.

I thought that Tom Barron did quite well at corner back. He certainly worked hard (17 possessions), and although his use of possession was not good at times, he has strength, poise and hurling ability. He also showed glimpses of the wonderful sidestep for which his older brother is famous.
    Billy Power was completely out of the game in the first half (just one possession) but, ironically, he was just coming into it (five possessions and a good point) when he was replaced by Jake Dillon after 45 minutes. DJ Foran wasn’t in the game much (a problem we have seen with him before), but he showed that, when he does get possession, he knows how to score, with three excellent points.

Michael Kiely was up against Westmeath’s best player (Tommy Doyle) and didn’t get much ball coming his way. When he did get two balls out in the corner in the second half and came in along the end line, showing his trade-mark sidestep, he had nobody in support and was eventually crowded out.

While Shaun O’Brien failed to stop the one shot that came his way, it was a wet ball bouncing off the surface which is always hard to deal with. Otherwise, his distribution was a mixed bag – he picked out players out the field very well on a regular basis, but also gave away possession on a number of occasions.

Of the remaining players, Ian Kenny gave an exhibition of corner back play in the second half. A poster here suggested that Patrick Curran contributed little from play. In fact he was one of the most industrious players on the Waterford team, moving widely around the pitch and picking up 13 possessions en route. He also earned two of the frees which he converted.

An interesting observation on the impact of water breaks on hurling games. In the first quarter there were just two wides (and 15 scores). In the second quarter there were 13 wides and only seven scores. In the third quarter there were again just two wides while in the final quarter there were eight wides. Go figure.

Waterford possession counts:

S. O’Brien 5); I. Kenny (10), S. Fives (7), T. Barron 17); S. Keating (18), I. Daly (17), K. Power (8); P. Hogan (19), B. Power (6); J. Fagan (6), P. Curran (13), DJ Foran (8); J. Prendergast (8), M. Kiely (5), M. Kearney (7); J. Dillon (6), K. Moran (3), D. Hutchinson (2), K. Bennett (3), D. Lyons (3), C. Prunty (0), C. Sheehan (0).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wat v Lim
    1 B Nolan
    2 C Lyons
    3 C Prunty
    4 S Keating
    5 S Bennett
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 J Barron
    9 A Gleeson
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 J Dillion
    13 D Hutchinson
    14 St Bennett
    15 J Prendergast
    SUBS SO'Brien,S Fives,KMoran,K Power,P Hogan,BPower,DJ Foran,P Curran,MKiely,T Barron,M.Kearney

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wat v Lim
    1 B Nolan
    2 C Lyons
    3 C Prunty
    4 S Keating
    5 S Bennett
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 J Barron
    9 A Gleeson
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 J Dillion
    13 D Hutchinson
    14 St Bennett
    15 J Prendergast
    SUBS SO'Brien,S Fives,KMoran,K Power,P Hogan,BPower,DJ Foran,P Curran,MKiely,T Barron,M.Kearney

interesting 15

Someone here got there wish and said they should try Shane Bennett in defence

Lets hope for a massive performance sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

The named team is more or less our strongest 15. I think Cahill has enough of losing to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I'd be surprised if this match in the league wasn't the major focus of Cahill and Bevans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Very interesting 15 and probably our strongest. Looks like the old stagers of Fives and Moran are being phased out.

That being said if you gave me those 15 names on paper positionally I would probably make a good few changes

Disagree with posts above

No way is that our best starting 15, yes a lot of the big names are back but hardly phasing Fives out given he was our best defender last weekend. Cahill is still trying things out and from what I can see his only focus is Munster championship v Clare.

Disagree with posts above

No way is that our best starting 15, yes a lot of the big names are back but hardly phasing Fives out given he was our best defender last weekend. Cahill is still trying things out and from what I can see his only focus is Munster championship v Clare.

You could be right but we can agree to differ.

If it was up to me, I would start Curran instead of Dillon but would have Jake, Fives & Moran as the first subs coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

formerlyET wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if this match in the league wasn't the major focus of Cahill and Bevans.

I'd be astonished if it was. The league is utterly irrelevant this year apart from getting players fit.

FYI ... there's an article in today's Irish Times (by Keith Duggan) about the greatest of them all, John Keane. I have tried to locate a link but unfortunately I can't find one (but might be available on line in a few days).

(p.s. one particular poster here might regard this as fake news but ignore him)

Footballers losing 0-10-0-8 to Wexford at HT

NFL Division 4 South Wexford 0-18- Waterford 2-13 (19)- FT

Great win for the footballers, if Carlow beat Wexford next week we're through to the semi finals

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Superb result for footballers

Great spirit shown especially after last weeks shambolic performance.
    Delighted for Shane ronayne and the entire panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I'd be astonished if it was. The league is utterly irrelevant this year apart from getting players fit.

The league is irrelevant, I agree, but out of all the teams that Waterford need to make a physical statement against and put in a performance (closer than last year) - it's this one. None of the other league games come close in terms of importance to this one for Waterford. Just my opinion. If they're bullied again tomorrow, the psychological factor will be there again if they meet later in the year. They need to get that dealt with, put it to bed, before they can think of winning against them later in the year.

formerlyET wrote: »
    The league is irrelevant, I agree, but out of all the teams that Waterford need to make a physical statement against and put in a performance (closer than last year) - it's this one. None of the other league games come close in terms of importance to this one for Waterford. Just my opinion. If they're bullied again tomorrow, the psychological factor will be there again if they meet later in the year. They need to get that dealt with, put it to bed, before they can think of winning against them later in the year.

You could well have a point. Galway certainly addressed it last week and as you could see by kielys interview after the game Limerick were rattled. In fact Galway may have done us all a favour and Limerick may need to rethink their physical approach this year give the amount of frees they gave away last week. It does look a strong looking team out on Sunday though and theyre looking for their first win of the league.
    Again, Cahill I reckon will be after a performance more so than the result.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Venom69 wrote: »
    Superb result for footballers

Great spirit shown especially after last weeks shambolic performance.
    Delighted for Shane ronayne and the entire panel.

Great win for the much maligned footballers....unbeaten in Wexford since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

JD60 wrote: »

Good piece. I have the book somewhere, must root it out and have another read.

Walsh Park pitch was inspected this morning and has been deemed playable

Best of luck to the team today

We need to get into this game, some terrible misses from both sides

A lot of mistakes and lucky to be only 5 down at HT

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jmf1993

why are we trying to walk it into goal every chance we get, could be a lot closer at half time if they took a few more chances at points.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Limerick backs not giving our forwards much space. I’m not sure about all the switches. Aussie is playing a sweeper role? Prunty was class in that first quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

did dessie not get a point? I thought he got one but didn't seem to given

• Advertisement

We need a strong start for the 2nd half

Advertisement