Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour du Mont Blanc

Options
  • 17-05-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone, i am currently pricing an 8-10day walking trip of mont blanc. The usual route starting in chamonix. The costs are considerable and i know people have booked the trip independently, just looking for a list of good refuges or hotels to stay in. Also any tips on how to get through it as a solo traveller. Hoping to do it this summer.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gk70

Hi

Yes this is very doable.

I did all but 2 stages in about 9-10 days anticlockwise about 4 years ago - skipped 2 stages because I didnt have enough time off

There is an excellent dedicated TMB refuge/accommodation booking site
    http://www.autourdumontblanc.com/en/

It guides you through each stage and tells you which refuges/hotels/hostels/camping are in the vicinity of your projected stop that evening.
    You can tailor the itinerary to your own pace - if you think you walk say 10km per day and on occasional days do more / less, it shows you where you would need to stop that night
    There is a combination of booking directly through the site and if the refuge you want is booked you can call/email themn directly

I did a very spontaneous trip and hadn't got the last 3 nights booked - you can simply call that morning to say you are coming and usually they will not turn you away / or will try to find you something.

I found the cost to be very reasonable. For a bed, evening meal and breakfast it usually came to about 50-60 Euro, sharing a dorm.

Note that I did this alone so its probably not as easy if you are booking for more than just yourself.
    And I wonder how its working with covid these days as it can be a very crowded experience in a mountain refuge.

I found most of the refuges to be basic but well run - funny enough the least enjoyable was a hotel at Col de la Forclaz just at the Swiss/France border

Hope that helps

If you need any more tips let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where did you fly in and out of and I presume you had your first one or 2 nights accommodation booked. If so where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sportsguy2017

Hey,

So after 4 years, i am finally booked into go in September really looking forward to it, i used the website you suggested and found it extremely useful, along with a great book by Kev Reynolds, which i will be bringing with me.

I will let you know how i get on.

Advertisement