Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of lights just passed overhead?

• 17-05-2021 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Just saw a line of lights passing in the sky, the area around them was lighter/brighter than the night sky and in this brighter streak there were 5/6 bright lights near the back, same appearance as typical star.

Is there any reports of a satalite crashing back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It sounds like its Starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

krissovo wrote: »
    It sounds like its Starlink

Could be, but they were travelling very close to each other, literally on top of one another

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I saw them as well sometime late last summer, I didn't count them, but would guess about 10 or more. They were travelling west to east direction, almost directly overhead.
    Given that there were no news bulletins of aliens or space invasions I presumed it was starlink as well.
    It'll start to look very busy up there when they get them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Just got a GREAT view of the pass, and then the ISS shows up like the flake on a 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Saw them aswell, another pass at 00:15 with the ISS. Starting to cloud over here in North County Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

wow! what a pass there following right behind the ISS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭highdef

wow! what a pass there following right behind the ISS

That was stunning. Just happened to be out for a late walk with the dog. Very SciFi look to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

This it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Still very visible tonight again, I got lucky with a clear patch overhead just now (Galway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Danny_DeVito

Saw this on the 17th just after midnight in east Meath, still a little bit ‘a StarLink satellite is gonna fall out of the sky and crush me’. Absolutely amazing, can’t believe how lucky I was to see this!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

JJayoo wrote: »
    Could be, but they were travelling very close to each other, literally on top of one another

Yeah it was Starlink satellites. They were close together they were only launched a day or two before. They slowly drift apart over time, so the closer they are together the newer the batch.
    At the moment SpaceX are launching a new batch of 60 almost every two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

60 every two weeks?? :eek:

gonna cause a lot of space junk surely?

has there been any objections to these launches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

fryup wrote: »
    60 every two weeks?? :eek:

gonna cause a lot of space junk surely?

has there been any objections to these launches?

Lots of objections and yes a lot of space junk. They are designed however to deorbit when their useful life is over.
    Low Earth orbit is becoming very cluttered with these new constellations, SpaceX, Oneweb, Amazon etc. Lets hope we don't make space travel through low earth orbit impossible into the future.

Advertisement