Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

• 02-01-2019 12:56pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So here we are it's time for the New Year, new us :)

Just a fun motivation thread here for us to share our exercise tips, healthy receipts and diet tips and motivations in general.

DISCLAIMER
    Any advice given here are just suggestions, everyone should consult a medical expert before participating in any diet/exercise program.

It's also important to note there is no judgment at all here, if you are struggling that's ok, if you have a bad week that's also ok, and if you like me can't stop stuffing your face on the weekends that also ok. It is also important to note it is never ok to under-eat/starve yourself.

It's only a bit of light hearted fun and who knows this Christmas we could all be Christmas crackers!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

First tip, what I like to do this week is go for nice long walks to admire all the houses still lit up for Christmas, I do it while listening to Christmas music, I find it every relaxing, good for the soul and a good way to re-introduce exercise after a relaxing couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

I've had a bad few weeks over Christmas, gained 2lbs on the 27th, expected more! Weighing in again tonight so we'll see what happens!

I'm not allowed exercise for medical reasons currently (I was told I'm not even allowed walk the 5km to work anymore due to the pain it causes me), but short walks are nice and for anyone seriously struggling with exercise, they're not going to make weight fall off, but they'll certainly boost your mood which might motivate you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Weight loss and positivism....spelling does.nt look right....

Cus when u feel good in your head, your less inclined to eat the crap. Aside from Boards, which I love...I dont bother with any of
    the other social media outlets...but last year I got Instagram because I wanted to follow a...I dont even know what to call them...
    an Insta person....for my daughter who was going on a health kick herself...and as I was going to be doing the cooking I had to
    get the recipes... Anyway...I spotted another 2 Insta sites...The Secret and The Power of Positivity. All giving quickie positive
    messages every day. With so much negativity going around, I really enjoy the messages that pop up ....
    I see that Operation Transformation back on today week as well......Love that show. Real people, not spending a fortune on
    gyms etc...getting good results...
    Thanks for starting this LoughC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Walking sounds like a great idea, Loughc! Never mind for weight loss but defo is great for making you feel better mentally. I live out in the country now but am originally from the town so I really miss being able to get out for a walk in the evenings. Dark evenings, country lanes & neighbours who can't drive don't really mix well. But as I work from home three days a week, I'm really going to make an effort now to get out at lunch time for a quick walk :D

I've just done my shopping on Tesco & ordered a lot of fruit and veg & good wholesome food to come for tomorrow so fingers crossed, it's the right step. Although, I do have a lot of crap left in the house :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I still have a bit of crap left in the house as well. I’m hoping I can spread it out over a few weeks and not gorge all on it over the next few days. :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m dumping the extra. I did last year too. Or id just eat it. Weighing in this evening after foot surgery and pregnancy have done a number on me.

Also have problems with walking and weight bearing exercise with the foot but I’ve just found some kitchen chair workouts on YouTube I’m going to try and I am going to bring my three year old swimming once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't own scales and none accessible and wear loose clothing anyways. If I have gained it will vanish anyways.. My long ago experience with dieting is that it helps you gain weight as you are thinking more about food than you usually would.

Three mince pies left and a third of a pudding. and a few other bits... be gone soon enough...

Make that 2 mince pies; see what I mean!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm still very much in the 'Christmas pudding' category but am determined to eat properly now. I had let things slide a bit for a couple of months before Christmas so am determined to get fit and healthy again now. Thankfully we didn't buy too much chocolates, biscuits, crisps, etc so there is nothing left other than the majority of one box of biscuits. We'll get through them one at a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Exercise bike is back out and going to try to do 10km per day. Need low impact for medical reasons and I hate swimming!

Will see how I go. I never weigh myself and make the doctor hide it (I'm not overweight, just not fit) but I'll be able to tell from clothes and the mirror.

The good thing about the bike is I can do it and watch TV so it doesn't really feel like I'm working out, other than the sweat and breathlessness.

Good luck everyone!

Picked up my slimming world voucher in Bella there just for anyone heading down that route

• Advertisement

Planning on picking one up tonight on my way to Slimming World!

If you haven't done it before, slimming world is great.

It's not the most nutritionally balanced plan in the world what with fat being demonized, but they have just this week increased daily "fat" allowances from dairy to make it more nutritious.

It's what spurred me on to my own fairly big weight loss :)

If you haven't done it before, slimming world is great.

It's not the most nutritionally balanced plan in the world what with fat being demonized, but they have just this week increased daily "fat" allowances from dairy to make it more nutritious.

It's what spurred me on to my own fairly big weight loss :)

Yeah I’ve had good success with them before following it myself at home. Going to try meetings this time, it should also give me dedicated personal head space once a week too with two kids at home now. Comfort eating plus mental and physical exhaustion are my worst enemies. I also have a set up upstairs now for feeding the baby at night which was my bold snack time central so will be banning all food from upstairs for myself!

Yeah I’ve had good success with them before following it myself at home. Going to try meetings this time, it should also give me dedicated personal head space once a week too with two kids at home now. Comfort eating plus mental and physical exhaustion are my worst enemies. I also have a set up upstairs now for feeding the baby at night which was my bold snack time central so will be banning all food from upstairs for myself!

The comfort eating and exhaustion are what get me too tbh!

I found when staying for meetings (I still stay even if I'm more into nutrition and calorie counting while loosely following plan), I'm more inclined to lose weight. I don't necessarily get any good tips bar the odd recipe, but I think that everyone knowing if I've lost or gained motivates me, especially because I have a lovely lovely group and everyone is kind and funny.

They're child friendly too if you need to bring your little one :)

Just got weighed, 2.5lbs down, I'll take that!

Just got weighed, 2.5lbs down, I'll take that!

That’s fantastic!!! Well done!! :)

Went to Slimming World on the way home - couldn't stay to the meeting as himself had to go to the UK unexpectedly so had to rush home cos the inlaws had the kids. I've done SW before so know the drill and that it works. I don't buy into all the fat free stuff myself - too much processed stuff in them to be healthy but that's just my opinion! I've changed groups though as my last group, even though everyone was super lovely in it, was taken over by a new consultant & she is very judgy. Never got a good vibe off her. The new group is run by a woman similar age to myself so hoping she is more in tune with people. If the numbers at it tonight were anything to go by, she's on the money!

Got the new book too so will study it tomorrow & see what's what. Looking forward to getting started. I've about 1.5 stone to shift though :( All my own fault though!

1.5 stone is nothing. You’ll fly that. I’m afraid to stand on the scales! Dreading it.

Just back from a nice relaxing walk. Listened to some Christmas podcasts and tunes while admiring my old neighbourhood Christmas lights as I was gone before we moved home.

Was lovely. Weather is fab out too so that really helps.

Before Christmas I was 10.12 New Year’s Day I’m 11.01 gained 3 pounds in a week :(

Last June I was 14.10 I really want to make it to 10.10 and officially of lost 4 stone

Love it make it to 10 stone I’ll be happy then only 15 more pounds but I love apple pie so much lol I know I can do it

A stone heavier than the first time I started sw but still 9lbs lighter than my worst ever weight. Read the books cover to cover and had an on plan evening. Online shop arriving in the morning and I’m back on the bandwagon.

Added bonus that my 12 week old has been rough going so I actually enjoyed staying to group, aided by the feeling it was a break and ‘me’time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have used Jym Stoppani free apps in the past and lost 23kg whilst keeping shape. I also used it when I could not run, Achilles surgery, so it helped if you don't like running etc.

I am doing a new one of his called 'show time', the diet seems like a huge amount of grub but it is under 3000 cals so its okay for week 1, lower carbs on a week by week basis to avoid starvation mode.

I am only on day 2, leg day, I hate leg day, and its going well but takes me over an hour to complete at breakneck speed but thats the point of HIT. I will also try and throw in a 5k and 10k each week.

this morning I was 98kg, post workout and had a quite a bit of water in me (that's my excuse).

Back to it this morning full tilt! Read the books when I got into bed last night. You get two Healthy Extra As now on SW (two portions of either milk or cheese for anyone not in the know). Bit of a balls for me tbh as I always struggle to get in enough dairy - I don't like milk & apart from the Wenesydale cheese, I'm not the biggest cheese lover either.

Going to go for a walk at lunchtime :D

My dad (target member) doesn't eat cheese or drink milk :pac:

Our consultant suggested to him that to get some fats into his diet, syn some avocado (or eat a small amount and don't syn it, but be careful cause it's high enough in calories), and for calcium, eat lots of green leafy vegetables like kale.

Works for him and he never has his As and blood work shows he's perfectly healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Mrs DvB rejoining slimming world tonight after weighing herself, wants to be a stone down for the kids communion in May.
    Didn't bother weighing myself today, did 80 minutes on the bike last night, came to a total distance of 36k & just over 500 calories burnt, but my god was i sweating, dont think i've ever sweat so much, did a new programme with some serious sprinting in it & i felt it afterwards, reckon it was pure christmas coming out of every pore:).
    Gonna get a run in later today & do the same on the bike tomorrow (or maybe vice versa) & see where I stand over the weekend.
    As a tip, I find weighing yourself every day can be offputting as you can add a lb in a day but lose 2 or 3 in a week & never see the gain in the middle if only weighing every few days so its all positive. Very easy to lose confidence or enthusiasm at early set backs which are incredibly common.

for monitoring calorie intake, a great free app I used when I was losing weight was MyFitnessPal which is easy to use & great for giving you a real indication of what your eating calorie wise.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    As a tip, I find weighing yourself every day can be offputting as you can add a lb in a day but lose 2 or 3 in a week & never see the gain in the middle if only weighing every few days so its all positive. Very easy to lose confidence or enthusiasm at early set backs which are incredibly common.

I don't keep a weighing scales in the house. It's a very easy hole to fall down weighing yourself every day & not indicative at all of your overall weight. I used to work with a girl who weighed herself multiple times a day - she was permanently on a diet, but permanently not losing weight. She'd come to work, have one of those instant porridge bowl things & then eat nothing else for the rest of the day at work :eek: No idea how she got thru the day. I need me grub :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I weighed myself yesterday morning to see how bad it was - not as bad as I expected but still not good. I'd restrict it to a weigh in at home once a week though, you'd have yourself driven mad otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Christmas 3 years ago i was knocking on 24 stone,eating like a race horse,and doing nothing but walk from the chair to press for food,hated gyms and all that lark,went shopping just before christmas that year and could not get passed the shop door,back was in agony,so after christmas,i started walking 15 mins a day,then 20,then 30 and upped it as weeks went by,got a real interest in walking so would go for an hour a night 4/5 nights a week,and weekends if i could,watched what i ate but did not turn to just eating lettuce,i did and still do "pig out" as they say,but i keep on walking..im down around 16 stone now and have the best of both worlds,as in i dont realy over watch what i eat,but walk walk walk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

My work is 2.5 miles from my house. If I start walking in and out to work that’s 5 miles a day and a saving of 4.20 a day on the Leap card. That’s 21 a week. Do that for 4 weeks and have 84 extra, more than enough to buy one of those all you can eat monthly yoga passes. The one I’m looking at is 59 for the trial month. Start fitting in a class a day for the next month along with the walking and the saving and then the following month I’ll put the money towards a 10 swim pass for 55 which I’ll use up over the following month I’m hoping for 3 times a week and topping up the card when necessary. I’ll also fit in some one off yoga classes. For the third month I’d like to try some kind of a dance class and hope to buy a bundle of lessons for around the 60 mark and see how they go while also still swimming and doing the yoga and saving.

That’s my plan to the end of March anyway. If I can achieve it I’ll be a lot healthier by then and all paid for out of Leap card savings. Not bad!

Am planning on a lot more batch cooking and smarter cooking such as using a chicken to its full potential over the weekend and having amazing tasty soup for lunch at work every day.

We’ll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

mud wrote: »
    My work is 2.5 miles from my house. If I start walking in and out to work that’s 5 miles a day and a saving of 4.20 a day on the Leap card. That’s 21 a week. Do that for 4 weeks and have 84 extra, more than enough to buy one of those all you can eat monthly yoga passes. The one I’m looking at is 59 for the trial month. Start fitting in a class a day for the next month along with the walking and the saving and then the following month I’ll put the money towards a 10 swim pass for 55 which I’ll use up over the following month I’m hoping for 3 times a week and topping up the card when necessary. I’ll also fit in some one off yoga classes. For the third month I’d like to try some kind of a dance class and hope to buy a bundle of lessons for around the 60 mark and see how they go while also still swimming and doing the yoga and saving.

That’s my plan to the end of March anyway. If I can achieve it I’ll be a lot healthier by then and all paid for out of Leap card savings. Not bad!

Am planning on a lot more batch cooking and smarter cooking such as using a chicken to its full potential over the weekend and having amazing tasty soup for lunch at work every day.

We’ll see!

if you set out and do that the 5 miles a day will work wonders...

• Advertisement

mud wrote: »

If you get amazing tasty soup out of a chicken, let me know your secret. I'm forever boiling a chicken after Sunday dinner, putting lots of veg in, soup mix, etc. Every time, I'm like meh....missing something. So disappointing - especially as I never know what it is I'm missing

Advertisement