Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One day classes

Options
  • 09-07-2015 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a one day woodworking course in Ireland? I can't find anything on the web that suits. I have seen some woodcarving options but that's not what I really want. I want to practice joinery and using handtools.

I have watched a lot of video tutorials (Paul sellers and the like), but find it frustrating sometimes when I can't figure out what I am doing wrong and would like some expert guidance.

I would try nightcourses but I live in west cork and lots of travelling every week is out. A one day class would suit better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Google Hill Picket Studios over in Wicklow. They may have what you're after. I plan to do one of their one day courses soon myself after watching hours of Paul Sellers online!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Thanks that's exactly what I am after. I will start saving now for one. May have to put off that diamond sharpening stone for a while!

I know, at about €80 each for those ezelap diamond plates, they're a bit of an investment! It'll be the September course, at the earliest, I will be going for in Hill Picket Studios so of you do it beforehand, let us know how you got on!

I won't get to it before September, full schedule every weekend (so many weddings). Its a 4 hour drive so I will have to book accommodation etc.

I did find the plates cheaper at fine-tools (no affiliation)

My mistake, your are correct. I just bought a Veritas crosscut carcass saw from Fine Tools last week and saw them there also.

€65, €50 and €50 were the ones I was looking at for 250, 600 & 1200 grit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I can recommend the courses at Hill Picket Studios, I was going on a Thurdsay Night and on Saturdays, fully kitted out workshop. Travelling from the North Dublin to Avoca just took up so much time, its a pity there is nothing similar closer to me. Im sure you will enjoy your time there.

That's great to hear! Yea it's about 1 hour and 15 min from where I am in Carlow which is a pity or I would like to attend the weekly classes.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    My mistake, your are correct. I just bought a Veritas crosscut carcass saw from Fine Tools last week and saw them there also.

€65, €50 and €50 were the ones I was looking at for 250, 600 & 1200 grit.

Whats the saw like? I am thinking of getting a good dovetail saw and would like to know if Veritas is up to the hype

I have nothing to compare it to really but I find its crosscut and even rip cuts very well in pine. Cuts straight out the box and easy to start.

I picked up and old dovetail saw off ebay a while ago also for about €20 but the teeth weren't in great shape. I tried to sharpen them first, then tried to retooth it Paul Sellers style but made a mess of it so sent it off to a crowd in Dublin (City Saw Services) who will retooth to whatever configuration you want, sharpen and set the saw for €15. Should have that back Monday so will put both of them through their paces then.

The Veritas I think is definitely a good saw and great value for money at less than €50 from Fine Tools. Delivery was under a tenner and only took 3 working days. (The Carpentry Store in Naas wanted €79.95 for the same saw but would have to order it in, would take "a week or two.")

I prefer the idea of using old tools you can get on the likes the of eBay though. The dovetail saw I picked up is between 90 and 140 years old! And after its had new teeth cut I should be able to maintain it for many years to come.

We'll that's the plan anyway, like I said, I should have the old saw back on Monday so we'll see how it goes!

Hmm, that very interesting. I was thinking of buying a second hand saw myself and sharpening it but was also daunted by the process. I might save up for a Veritas one instead. There's a guy in Waterford that sells old tools and I was going to buy something from him (John O'Neill), he advertises on adverts.ie. I think I will leave it until I am more experienced. City saw services are going in my address book for later though.

One a plus point I finally got the hang of planing pine today. Got some honing compound and it made a huge difference stropping on a old belt.

Nice talking to you Brian

• Advertisement
Advertisement