Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is liable, the poster or the forum owner?

• 15-04-2012 9:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to post this, and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

A certain forum I look at and participate on Facebook quite a bit is having trouble with some regular posters. The forum is not being moderated properly and people are flinging insults at each other left right and centre aswell as trolling like you have never seen before.

I have mentioned to the owner of the page that one of these days someone is going to go to far. What I want to know is, if someone says something on his page/forum and slanders someone or is abusive, will he be liable for these comments or will the poster be?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Both could be responsible, but the site could minimise the risk by acting promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Victor wrote: »
    Both could be responsible, but the site could minimise the risk by acting promptly.
    Further complicated by the fact that the site is hosted by Facebook, not the page owner. In fact, I doubt the owner of the page has any responsibility in this matter whatsoever. The worst thing they might be doing is breaking the Facebook terms and conditions.

OP, report the stuff to Facebook, they're much more likely to act

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Yep, I'd imagine the only thing facebook are likely to care about are the posters in question. If they're posting spam/insults on that page, they're likely to do it elsewhere too.

The page owner has the option to 'report as abuse' any posts he/she feels fall into that category. Best the reports come from the page owner rather than random browsers IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OP are you talking about an actual forum or a Facebook group?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Aidan, I suppose it's a Facebook group but the name of the group is the xx forum, so its being run as a forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement